• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 Slow shutdown: Security setting keeps resetting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1voyager1

Registered
I've had an ongoing problem for the last couple of years now.
It's driving me mad!!!

Windows 7 will start taking forever to shut down.
I finally was able to figure out how to fix it.
-----------------------------------------------------
1. Run:
gpedit.msc
2. Find the thread:
Computer configuration/
Windows settings/
Security settings/
Local policies/
Security options/
3. Find:
Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile setting
4. Set it to Disabled
5. Reboot
-------------------------------------------------------

Now, every few day, maybe weeks and maybe even months this setting gets reset to "Enabled".
How?
Why?
I haven't the faintest idea.
It irritates the hell out of me.
Does anyone have any idea as to why this keeps happening?
Getting this figured out might keep me from drop kicking my PC out the window.

You disabled Hibernation by running the powercfg.exe /hibernate off command from an elevated command prompt, or you just turned it off along w/ hybrid sleep in Power Options?

I've been gone for the weekend, just got back.
I had turned it off in the power options.
I have just run " powercfg.exe /hibernate off " in a command prompt.
So, If that is the cause of the problem, it should be fixed now ...Yes??

I've been busy with too many other things to get back to this before now.
But, about a week or so after my last post it happened again. This time I noted that it was after doing a registry and unnecessary file cleanup.
so, my question is now:
Where is the "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile setting" enabled/disabled setting stored?
I assume it is a registry setting not a temp or similar type file.

Control panel/all control panel items/ double click local security policy, expand local poicies in left hand pane and click secureity options. In right pane navigate to shutdown: clear virtual memory pagefile, right click that line and select properties. default is disabled.

Control panel/all control panel items/ double click local security policy, expand local poicies in left hand pane and click secureity options. In right pane navigate to shutdown: clear virtual memory pagefile, right click that line and select properties. default is disabled.

That is the same information that I give in my OP.
The problem is that something keeps changing it from "Disabled" to "Enabled".
There is no rhyme or reason that I can see for its happening.
It has happened several times since my last post.

I've been busy with too many other things to get back to this before now.
But, about a week or so after my last post it happened again. This time I noted that it was after doing a registry and unnecessary file cleanup.
so, my question is now:
Where is the "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile setting" enabled/disabled setting stored?

My bad, I was looking at this post and had forgot the original I suppose. I was not aware that you could even get there that way, but considering that the default is disabled it makes me wonder how security settings could be changed and by what. Unless you are multi booting I could not see windows changing this on it's own unless it is in conflict with some other security setting or other software that may be usurping elevated authority. It might help to monitor when it happens and check the event viewer for the time period when it changes. Could it have anything to do with the 0+1 array or it's windows based software, like it might be delaying shutdown until the page file is written to all disks? Are there multiple page files or are there any on the array? If there is one on either the 0 or 1 part of the array, would it try to copy it to the other before shutdown? I have never worked with a 0+1 before.

so, my question is now:

disabled
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000000

enabled
Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"ClearPageFileAtShutdown"=dword:00000001

@ Rpkole
Thanks for the information that I had asked for.
The only problem is that now that I have it,
I haven't the faintest idea of what to do with it,
or if anything can be done with it.
I'm still lost, even though I now know where it's located.

Now I remember why I asked for it.
I don't think I touched those registry entries while doing the drive clean up.

@ shadowdr
I have not had a multi boot set up at any time during this problem.
There were and are multiple pagefiles in partitions on separate HDDs [ for faster access] as well as one minimally sized on the OS partition to satisfy Win7.

Since my last post on this, I have acquired and installed an SSD.
I love it.
My main reason for going RAID0 for my OS partition was for the increased speed.
It made a very noticeable difference.
As long as I had RAID there, I decided to RAID everything.
Now that I have the SSD installed, I have removed all RAID configurations from all the drives.

Since then, I've had it reset to "enabled" one time.
But, that may have been tied to some of the 'two-step shuffles" I was doing to save my data,
get the SSD installed,
the RAID's removed, and
everything up and running as I wanted it to.
It was a convoluted process.
And, I'm not sure if I'm done with it yet.
If it happens again after I get this all smoothed out,
I'll come back whining about it again.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back