• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much RAM does your primary computer have installed? [>2012]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed?

• < 1 gig

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 1 - 2.9 gigs

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 3 - 4.9 gigs

Votes: 71 13.3%
  • 5 - 6.9 gigs

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • 7 - 8.9 gigs

Votes: 220 41.1%
  • 9 - 12.9 gigs

Votes: 38 7.1%
  • 13 - 16.9 gigs

Votes: 129 24.1%
  • 17 - 24.9 gigs

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • 25 - 32.9 gigs

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • >= 33 gigs - Please post amount.

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all about how the OS manages your RAM, if you have 8 you'll use 4, while playing BF3.
Back when I had 1GB Windows 7 with firefox & skype running peaked out at 850-900MB, now I have 10 and OS itself uses 2GB without me doing anything.
Yes I know that, however I don't have any stalls and the maps load fast and I use max setting on the game. so that was kind of my point, if it's not broke don't fix it. i'm planning to use this memory in my next build if BF4 recommends 4.0GB

I just hat to waste any money if i don't have to.:)

Last edited:
XP I would barely use 1GB idling now on W7 I use 2GB idling...

I really wish I knew the difference so I could slaughter me some services and processes...

Bah.

XP I would barely use 1GB idling now on W7 I use 2GB idling...

I really wish I knew the difference so I could slaughter me some services and processes...

Bah.

I've slaughtered windows 7 down to a startup of 18 processes. It still uses up more RAM idle than if you had LESS RAM to begin with. I'm not really exactly sure what its doing, but hey, RAM is stupid cheap now a days :D

Im runnin 8, with 512 mb of virtual. I think its already overkill for most things, but more would always be better :D

really surprised more people are not running 32GB or more considering how cheep ram is these days.

really surprised more people are not running 32GB or more considering how cheep ram is these days.

I'm considering the jump to 32 on my i7 rig for some RAMDisking, but at the moment I don't really need it, and quad channel doesn't get along with AMD :cry:

Not me.. not at all really.

There is just no point. Why would I buy 32GB when I cant manage to use close to 8GB? Hell, with Chrome up and around 10 tabs, Teamspeak, Origin, Steam, and BF3 going (among the 60+ tasks that are active on my system), I barely break 5GB. If there comes a time where its needed, I will buy more... but the reality is, for MY uses, that wont happen before I upgrade to DDR4 Im sure. In other words, one can pay $40 now and likely be good until their next upgrade (2-3 years), or one can pay 3+ the cost for 4x8GB of ram and likely never use 1/4 of it. I can see someone getting 16GB to 'future proof' but 32GB, unless you are actually using it, is a waste of money for the way I (and I feel most) use their PC's.

I'm happy to put the $100 in my pocket personally. :thup:

Not me.. not at all really.

There is just no point. Why would I buy 32GB when I cant manage to use close to 8GB? Hell, with Chrome up and around 10 tabs, Teamspeak, Origin, Steam, and BF3 going (among the 60+ tasks that are active on my system), I barely break 5GB. If there comes a time where its needed, I will buy more... but the reality is, for MY uses, that wont happen before I upgrade to DDR4 Im sure. In other words, one can pay $40 now and likely be good until their next upgrade (2-3 years), or one can pay 3+ the cost for 4x8GB of ram and likely never use 1/4 of it. I can see someone getting 16GB to 'future proof' but 32GB, unless you are actually using it, is a waste of money for the way I (and I feel most) use their PC's.

I'm happy to put the $100 in my pocket personally. :thup:

See, aside from RAMDisk, this is another primary reason I didn't get a 32GB kit. Even with the simulation and rendering work I do, 16 GB is more than enough. RAMDisk is really going to be for giggles as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not sure I want to drop such a pretty penny just for a few benchmarks :\

At my worst, I use up to 13GB of RAM, unless I make a 4GB RAMDisk, then I actually manage to saturate my RAM :attn: This also happens quite rarely :\

oh i wasn't implying that people most people would use the 32GB just surprised with how cheep it is that more people dont have it in there system,
myself i rarely use half of it and thats with three iterations of 3dsmax and two copys of SL running several browser windows and Photoshop running.

Same reason I dont buy any product just b/c they are on sale... if I dont need it, Im not spending the cash. Cheap or not, its still more money in my bank vs wasted for my uses. :)

see for me i was dropping about $2000 for the new build adding another $70 to the bill seemed like small fries to be future proofed and not have to worry about ram again til im building a DDR4 system:)

see for me i was dropping about $2000 for the new build adding another $70 to the bill seemed like small fries to be future proofed and not have to worry about ram again til im building a DDR4 system:)

I'd rather get half as much ram that's 800MHz faster for 50 bucks less for futureproofing :D

We can see a logical curve as to how quickly the need for more RAM is running along. It was a nasty race for a while, but 4GB-8GB has been generally sufficient for years now..

16 is beyond excessive, like I said can only be saturated by me if I'm rendering (And thus loading a high-def video frame-by-frame into the RAM), and even then only if I am also running a small RAMDisk haha

ram faster then 1600 on SB or Ivy is just as useless as having over 16BG installed you don't really get any benefit from ether:)

You actually use 16GB though so its not remotely a waste for you. However if you didnt, I see your point in the cost of the rig, but, its still wasteful. Just less wasteful % wise than a $1k system doing the same thing. Again, since you use it, its worth it. But for me, no chance would I do that knowing what my needs are and my upgrade patterns as well as what a typical user needs these days and the next year or two (DDR4 will be out). :thup:

I'd rather get half as much ram that's 800MHz faster for 50 bucks less for futureproofing :D
I wouldnt even do that unless you benchmark at Hwbot. Ram speed for the vast majority of PC functions show little to no gains outside of synthetic benchmarks. My daily driver has 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 and will have that until I upgrade.

You actually use 16GB though so its not remotely a waste for you. However if you didnt, I see your point in the cost of the rig, but, its still wasteful. Just less wasteful than a $1k system doing the same thing. Again, since you use it, its worth it. But for me, no chance would I do that knowing what my needs are and my upgrade patterns. :thup:

I wouldnt even do that unless you benchmark at Hwbot. Ram speed for the vast majority of PC functions show little to no gains outside of synthetic benchmarks.

Renders take much, much longer on slow RAM than faster RAM-- You're correct though, it really makes no diff. in games, etc. (Diminishing returns beyond 1600, but still measurably faster)

My needs for speedy ram are very rare, but I'd still take a lower bill for less, much faster RAM than 32 gigs of derp :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back