• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 760 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daniel089

Hi!

My question is: what would be an optimal CPU clock rate for overclocking? I really don't want to go far up to 4GHz, I'm just wondering how to reach a little more significant performance in games...

My system specs:
Intel Core i5 760 2.8 GHz; Cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2
Mb: ASUS P7H55D-M PRO
VGA: MSI R5770 Hawk
RAM: Geil Black Dragon 2x2GB 1333MHz
PSU: Corsair 650W
Windows 7 32-bit

Thanks in advance!

Well I am fairly new but I will tell you what I know. First no 2 chips oc exactly the same so for me to give you exact settings for your chip would be impossible, however I may be able to help get close. Your mobo has asus ez oc profile so you can go into the bios and automatically oc the cpu. Warning: the auto oc profile adds a little too much voltage to the cpu so you can back it off a couple increments and should be fine and run a bit cooler. Now you want your games to run a little better, than what you should do is start by oc'ing your gpu, not necessarily the cpu. Also your cpu is capable of a 64 bit os which would allow more ram. 32 bit only allows up to 4 gigs minus room for some other stuff leaving about 3 and a half gigs. Hopefully some one who knows more can help better but play with you bclk and multiplier and up or down a couple increments on pll and cpu voltage but keep the cpu over heat/volt on so you don't burn it out until you know more. Check out the sticky threads too. They helped me a lot. Enjoy!!

Edit: make sure your dram bus voltage is at 1.65 or 1.64 and manually set your timings and frequency.

Would try 191x21 or 181x22 for 4Ghz.

Check a guide on google to overclock your board along with some overclocking guide to understand how to correctly overclock your system, what to do and not do!
Be carefull at was you do! Read well before attempting to overclock. Knowing every feature and role of the board will greatly help you overclock.

You can take a quick look at the way I did it with my i5-750. It should be really similar. You must double check the voltages because my CPU seems to be stable at really low voltages. I kept turbo boost active because the games uses that a lot, which means the games will enjoy the full 3.72 GHz of CPU speed.
The only difference between i5-750 and i5-760 is that 760 allow for one higher multiplier (more OC room for you), otherwise they are identical.

My voltages in BIOS:

Load-Line Calibration [Disabled]
CPU Vcore 1.13125V ...................[1.13125]
QPI/Vtt Voltage 1.100V ...............[1.150V]
PCH Core 1.050V ........................[1.050V]
CPU PLL 1.800V ..........................[1.800V]
DRAM Voltage 1.500V ..................[1.640V]

That value for RAM is the default for my RAM model. Good luck with your setup.

Last edited:
Guys,

the best way to OC a 1156 build is to have a bit fast memory, minimum 1600 for example. Thats because accoring to intel specs blah blah blah the memory and cpu blck frequency is the same number. So, you raise the blck frequency to 200 if you have for example 1600ram and you get a nice round 4ghz. There is an option also to do that in some mobos (D.O.C.P) but its not really needed, If you think it gets too hot, these chips generally cope well with Temps <72 at load, change the multiplier to 19, it will go to 3,8 with 1,32vcore for an i5 760 I think. A good mobo can do the rest, I know my asus p7p55d evo did.

Back