• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Kingpin F1 Extreme Dark Cooling Pot Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That might be true.

7cm*7cm*13cm is the rough size of the block of Cu necessary to mill an F1EE.

637cm3 * 8.95g/cm3 (density of Cu at 20*C and 1atm) = 5.70x103g Cu

5.70x103g Cu / 1000g per 1Kg = 5.70Kg Cu

5.70Kg Cu * 2.2lbs per 1 Kg = 13 lbs Cu (to significant figures)

13*$20 = $260

NOW, I'm sure he buys in bulk, and probably cuts down on the dimensions because there is no way he is losing money on these pots.

I formerly worked for a company that cryogenically treats metals; it helps the austinite/ferrite conversion. We bought LN2 by the trailer load, i.e., about 5-10,000 gallons at a time. At that usage the stuff is pretty cheap. I frequently wondered about setting up a benching rig inside the chillers but couldn't convince myself that any mutant H2O crystals wouldn't fry the try.

Hokie's article, particularly about controlling the ice crystals with less-than-high-tech, has me rethinking. That and being able to spend time Not cleaning up MBs, etc. My last couple of ponderances were ammonia cooling, laid to rest by advice here and the cost of the rig, and building in a scientific cooler (different models rated for down to -80C) and chucking in a dehumidifier for good measure. Of course that's not benching as such, more of a 24/7 mid-overclock. $200-$400 for a set-up + cheaper than dirt LN2 is starting to sound attractive.

Dirt cheap LN2 is fantastic.
A pot doesn't cost that much if you buy used, a cheap 775 or AMD setup is maybe 200-300 at most, and there you are!

If you have entire chambers well below zero you won't have insulation issues, not much water in the air at that point.
Be aware the hard drives really don't appreciate it that cold, nor does ram, or northbridges by and large, so putting everything in a cold chamber may or may not work well.
Regardless, you owe it to yourself to play with some LN2 and cheap computer hardware :D

Yup, cheap LN2 is the most important thing if you are going really cold - most everything else is a one time up front expense (pot, insulation, dewar, probe, etc). CPUs and GPUs I'm always selling something I bought a month or two ago to finance the next thing. But I maybe bought 500L of LN2 in the past 2 months, and I'll probably buy about that much in the next 2 months - over time, even if its cheap the cost of the stuff you have to keep rebuying is the most expensive part of the equation. With cheap ln2 or cheap dice, you can do a lot more subzero for a lot lest cost than other people can... And that is a big advantage. It also makes you feel obligated to buy more LN2 tho - but its such a good deal!

Back