Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where can I buy a *LEGAL* copy of Windows XP 32-bit?

My mother has an old Dell that suits her purposes, but her copy of Windows (XP Pro) is starting to have issues. After sitting for an hour or two, things start to screw up. The speed reduces, the interface doesn't draw or respond correct, etc. I would just reinstall Windows, but she doesn't have the disks.

NewEgg only lists Windows 7, which I understand since Microsoft stated they will no longer offer XP, but there has to be a way. I don't want to touch eBay as I am not certain of what I will get. I definitely want a legal copy!

Any ideas?

10 Year Badge
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...dhs&redirect=1Scroll down to the bottom and fill the form out. Not 100% sure if they will do it for XP but its worth a try.
    HEATWARE

I live ONE mile away from Fry's. Are you jealous?

Thanks for the link. I filled it out, but I would still like a purchase location should that fail.

10 Year Badge
    cant help you there. I haven't paid for an OS since I bought 2000. Lucky to know few MS employees.

Have you tried a registry repair program? See if that cleans up her issues.
    HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by stompah View Post
    Have you tried a registry repair program? See if that cleans up her issues.
    Yes I have and no it doesn't.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    you don't really need to purchase another copy, as you've already purchased an authentication key. not much sense in buying another key. The key is labeled plainly on all dell computers on a sticker on the side panel.

You can use any XP pro cd in the world to install it, using the key you've purchased already. I would think about that before you go buy another one. Beg, borrow, etc.
    Watercooled (build log)
    i7-2600k 5ghz 1.5v -- 2x MSI GTX570 SLI
    8gb Samsung LV -- Silverstone Raven RV02
    128gb Crucial m4 -- 240gb mushkin chronos -- 60gb mushkin chronos -- 8tb server
    Corsair TX850 -- Dell u2711 2560x1440

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by \dev\goat View Post
    you don't really need to purchase another copy, as you've already purchased an authentication key. not much sense in buying another key. The key is labeled plainly on all dell computers on a sticker on the side panel.

You can use any XP pro cd in the world to install it, using the key you've purchased already. I would think about that before you go buy another one. Beg, borrow, etc.
    This is pretty much what I was going to suggest as well.
    "There are two kinds of pain. The sort of pain that makes you strong,
    or useless pain. The sort of pain that's only suffering. I have no
    patience for useless things."

loss.jpg
    Premium Member #25

Not quite - XP was the final era of the crappy version-ed CD/DVD's.
    You'll need a Windows XP OEM Disc for that one. (VISTA and beyond provides all on one disc and use ei.cfg to determine which version to install)
    I.M.O.G. Because Australia. ;)

We do not support piracy here.
    -mbentley
    Last edited by mbentley; 01-30-12 at 07:52 PM.
    Main rig: FX-8320, Gigabyte GA-FX990-UD3, 8GB G.Skill Ares 1866, Gigabyte 7970Ghz, SeaSonic M12II 520W, Samaung 840 EVO 120GB, WD 500GB Blue, Win 7 64bit
    Rig #2: Q6600, ASUS P5Q PRO, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Diamond 5850 1GB, Seagate 250GB, Corsair TX750, Win 7 64bit
    Rig #3: Q6600, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, 4GB G.Skill 800, Sapphire 6670, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Corsair CX430, Win 7 32bit
    HTPC: Athlon II 240, ASUS M4A785-M, G.Skill 4GB 800, Antec Black Fusion, Hauppage 1250, Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB, Antec Earthwatts 430, LG BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Win 7 32bit
    HTPC #2: Core i3-3240, Shuttle XH61V, VisionTek 4GB 1333, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, LG 6X Blu-Ray Drive, Win 7 64bit, paid for with bitcoin!!
    My Heatware

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    This is a dell xp professional iso slipstreamed with sp3. It can be used to install windows on dell machines with the oem sticker and activate without problems.
    type your authentication key in off of your sticker and vrooooom
    Watercooled (build log)
    i7-2600k 5ghz 1.5v -- 2x MSI GTX570 SLI
    8gb Samsung LV -- Silverstone Raven RV02
    128gb Crucial m4 -- 240gb mushkin chronos -- 60gb mushkin chronos -- 8tb server
    Corsair TX850 -- Dell u2711 2560x1440

Mods, sorry for my previous post, I wasn't trying to support piracy
    Main rig: FX-8320, Gigabyte GA-FX990-UD3, 8GB G.Skill Ares 1866, Gigabyte 7970Ghz, SeaSonic M12II 520W, Samaung 840 EVO 120GB, WD 500GB Blue, Win 7 64bit
    Rig #2: Q6600, ASUS P5Q PRO, 4GB G.Skill 1066, Diamond 5850 1GB, Seagate 250GB, Corsair TX750, Win 7 64bit
    Rig #3: Q6600, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R, 4GB G.Skill 800, Sapphire 6670, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Corsair CX430, Win 7 32bit
    HTPC: Athlon II 240, ASUS M4A785-M, G.Skill 4GB 800, Antec Black Fusion, Hauppage 1250, Crucial M4 64GB, Samsung F3 1 TB, Antec Earthwatts 430, LG BD-ROM/DVD-RW, Win 7 32bit
    HTPC #2: Core i3-3240, Shuttle XH61V, VisionTek 4GB 1333, Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, LG 6X Blu-Ray Drive, Win 7 64bit, paid for with bitcoin!!
    My Heatware

I was thinking and it may not be Windows. The computer has 512 MB RAM and integrated graphics. I am going to be upgrading both in the coming weeks, so I may see a difference. I'm going to bump the RAM to 4GB and add an AGP graphics card.

stompah, I got an email from Dell almost immediately. They can't supply the disks for free since the warranty expired in 2007, but it will only cost me $11 + shipping. Hmmm....

10 Year Badge
    Thats the way to go! I doubt you will be able to find a copy of XP for so cheap. Plus it will be 100% legit.

Start searching the classifieds for that RAM & video card. Also check out Frys, they will have a great deal on an AGP video card after rebate about once a month.
    HEATWARE

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile

XP Pro OEM , retail wont work.

no point in 4G of ram if using XP and 32bit, 2G would probably be fine since DDR2 ram is more expensive now.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment View Post
    no point in 4G of ram if using XP and 32bit, 2G would probably be fine since DDR2 ram is more expensive now.
    It's DDR! Still, I think you're correct.

10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile
    doh! ya, For Sale forums may get lucky.

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
    ,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
    ,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Yeah, I looked in the For Sale forums and found what I needed for less than $50. Now I just need the money...

Premium Member #18 txus.palacios's Avatar
    Benching Profile Folding Profile
    You already have the license.

Can't find anyone with a WinXP ISO or a CD?
    Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz (ekHF) | 16GiB | GTX470 SLI @ 800MHz (ekFC) | m4 128GB | Arch + Win8
    [ more info... ]

The only sound I want to hear out of my computer (unless I'm gaming or watching a movie) is the hum of my 6000 rpm fan pushing air through my heatsink. - Seebs
    If I turn up dead, somebody make sure they put "should have just benched in the cold" on my tombstone, along with my most recent superpi32m score. - I.M.O.G.
    I didn't go water-cooling for an air-cooling Vcore!! - bluezero5
    I'll rm -rf /yourface/* - thideras

Way Too Jealous Member Supertrucker's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    It is possible with windows xp to make an install disk from an already installed OS. I i wanted an xp home disk for my laptop because it came with a bloatware filled restore cd and i successfully made a usable, bootable xp home cd out of the i386 folder on my laptop.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml

Is how i did it. FWIW my i386 folder was not exactly as he described, and according to that article it shouldnt have worked, but it did, mabye it will for you as well.
    5820k @4250 Asus X99 Deluxe
    Crossfire R9 290 @ 1100/1300
    Catleap 2560x1440 IPS w/120hz pcb
    DT770 pro

Quote Originally Posted by txus.palacios View Post
    You already have the license.

Can't find anyone with a WinXP ISO or a CD?
    Someone else suggested this and their post was edited, so I'm not too sure how I should answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
    It is possible with windows xp to make an install disk from an already installed OS. I i wanted an xp home disk for my laptop because it came with a bloatware filled restore cd and i successfully made a usable, bootable xp home cd out of the i386 folder on my laptop.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/cre...etupdisk.shtml

Is how i did it. FWIW my i386 folder was not exactly as he described, and according to that article it shouldnt have worked, but it did, mabye it will for you as well.
    That would be nice, except for two things... No i386 folder and the CD drive is read only. I seriously forgot about computers with such limitations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast