• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware M14X, ordered, upgrade thoughts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice pics! I have an m11x. I'm really cautious about OC'ing it, I've never had good luck with OEM laptop cooling..

It's not something I'd even attempt on a laptop unless I lived outside in the Arctic or Siberia during winter.

Ocing this laptop is limited to the GPU, as the sandy bridge cpus offered do not have an unlocked multi. I do OC my GPU as needed, as some games are just a bit too demanding for the 555m GT, but I don't go crazy with it. My GPU oc is 700 core, shaders linked, and 1050 vram. There are people who take the gpu oc higher, but I do not cause the single heat sink can only handle so much.

Hey Extreme Barton, Well firstly the final cost won't be relevant to you as I live in England not only the obvious difference in currency and tax but the RRP of stuff is vastly different in the US to the UK. But I will run down the prices for you.

Below are the prices, what I paid on the left, and how that translates directly to USD in the centre and on the right how much it would cost to do in the US.

Part___________________________Cost £___ Cost $___ Price in US

Alienware M14X_________________£999____$1582___$1099
+i7 2670QM____________________£260____$412____$100
+1600x900 screen_______________£40_____$63_____$75
+Killer N WiFi card_______________£30_____$47_____$80
Sub Total______________________£1368___$2167___$1354 (I know this doesn't add up but thats Dell!)
Discount_____________________-£285____-$450____?0
Total_________________________£1083___$1714___$1354
+Momentus XT_________________£155____$245____$178
+8GB Vengeance_______________£38_____$60_____$49
Grand Total_________________£1276___$2020___$1581

So yeah for at least $500 saving you would have to ask why I didn't buy it in the US and mail it over! Well I have some friends and family in the States and i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to do it although i'd have to wait a little longer. BUT I would have to pay 20% VAT (tax) and import duty on the value so thats $1928 and then the shipping which I bet would be close to $100 and after all that the power adapters would be wrong and the keyboard would be different so I would be lucky to save anything.

Yeah it was overpriced but I just sold my MBP13 for £760, considering I paid £851 for it 14months ago i'm not doing so bad. Just think of the whole thing as an upgrade! lol. I spent more on graphics cards last august :cool:

Joe

Last edited:
Back