• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scratch that excuse, bud. I'm 50, and I had no problem! (ok, I did need to squint and use an LED headband)Nope, using all three EPS-12V connectors. But I assume only two are needed. You only have one 8-pin connected? And it's Folding....or not Folding yet?
Its running Boinc on Rosetta. I have 2 but I don't think I have an adapter to provide a 3rd. Did you buy that or did it come with something else?

I had bought those adapters before I got my SM board, which did not include any.
I hadn't even thought about it, in fact this is the first PSU that has had 2 of them. Its a shame I can't use 1 of the 4 PCI cables.:rain: Anyway I am searching for one right now. I fear shutting the PC off, that 4GB persistence never works for me and I lose whatever I was doing.

Oh and by the way whats the name of that cable? I always refer to them as CPU 8 Pin but that may not be what they are.

I hadn't even thought about it, in fact this is the first PSU that has had 2 of them. Its a shame I can't use 1 of the 4 PCI cables.:rain: Anyway I am searching for one right now. I fear shutting the PC off, that 4GB persistence never works for me and I lose whatever I was doing.

Oh and by the way whats the name of that cable? I always refer to them as CPU 8 Pin but that may not be what they are.

8 pin eps adapter, combines a 4 pin eps and a 4 pin molex into a 8 pin eps connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200459

BTW, the Corsair 750w AX750 has two 8-pin eps connectors. General consensus is you should use two of the 8-pins with quad dodeca opterons. With 6176 SE and IL use all three. Although you may be able to boot and run programs to include folding on just one 8-pin, over the long term, there will probably be some issues. Plus do you REALLY want to risk $3k+ of computer equipment to save $7 for a cable?

Thanks Tuigi, I have boinc set to no new tasks as soon as its done. I'll shut it down and plug the second one in...don't ask me why I only plugged one in, I wondered which 2 to use then got side tracked and forgot to plug the second one in. Any thoughts on which 2 to use? I still have not found definitive info on them. 2 are along the edge and a 3rd is slightly inboard of the other. I guess its logical to use the 2 next to each other on the edge. The sticky on them just said use 2 if under heavy load.

Thanks Leonardo, i ordered that one you linked, i dont think I have a 4pin eps. funny how many of those cable's were BO'ed on newegg.

BUMP!!!! Pics added to my first post....

I gotta say, I would have been installing ubuntu tonight, if it wasnt for those darn Noctuas... simple, but time consuming to bolt the hold down plates 4 diffrent times! BED TIME!!! So for now, subject to your questions, comments, concerns..................

Nice lookin' build Steve! Oddly familiar too. :D

I see you took the "bend it back" approach with the upper PSU mounting tabs... I started down that road myself but the mobo tray was flexing so much that I didn't want to bend the tray. Since I had the dremmel handy I decided to just go ahead and cut them off.

Glad y'all enjoy the pics...

Yes, I went with the bend approach, as it caught me off guard, and I forgot I had to do something with the upper PSU mounts... Dremmel would have woke the kiddos... I used a lot of hand pressure support as I bent it too. It flexed pretty good, but pretty much stayed where it was supposed to... Aside from right next to the bend, that curved a little bit.

I am also gonna have to go with some aluminum tape as I am missing a lot of my PCI slot covers, and even my PSU cover... Had WC stuff in the bottom PSU area before... It is soooo open... But I guess that could be a good thing?

It's best to get some kind of mesh material to cover any sizable openings. Bugs and the eaters of bugs (ants, spiders, mice, etc), are attracted to computers because of the warmth, light, and shelter the case can provide.

The reason software errors are called "bugs", is because a moth was attracted to the case that held a national supercomputer, back in the early days of computers. It caused a fault when it was squished by the contacts of a moving relay, preventing any further switching.

The reason software errors are called "bugs", is because a moth was attracted to the case that held a national supercomputer, back in the early days of computers. It caused a fault when it was squished by the contacts of a moving relay, preventing any further switching.

that is something i never knew! we should start a "fun fact" thread!

I have located a few of the screens but I will need to get some more.

Looks like I have a long night of trouble shooting ahead of me... DP1 (green power light) comes on, but when I go to power up, it flashes (all fans going) and nothing posts... no BIOS or anything...

For trouble shooting, I disconnected all my stuff, except the monitor, then tried again... it posted, butI obviously have no BOOT media installed... so it says to "press CTRL+ALT+DEL" to reboot... I plug my keyboard in... it worked, then when it restarts, it just sits there...

man, I hope I didnt blow 2900 bucks...

Hopefully there is just a connector...PSU, Fan, or maybe a RAM Module that needs to re seated. I would go through the RAM modules. I know some build prayers...I'll start reciting them.

Not sure about your mobo, but on mine, the green led flashes ALL the time. That is the "heartbeat" of the mobo (they describe it as such in my mobo manual).

The server mobo's take MUCH longer to boot than a desktop board. When mine is cold booting, it has to re-initialize the IPMI function every time - and that takes a long 3-4 minutes. A couple of times (at first), I didn't have the monitor connected, thought that it was a faulty boot up, and re-set it, by mistake.

If you get a repeating (not just once, but repeating), series of beeps, then you have a hardware/BIOS problem. If you have just 1-3 beeps, one time, that don't repeat - that's normal.

What does your screen show during boot up? What's the intended boot media? Optical drive with Ubuntu live disc, maybe?

Last edited:
well, i only got beeps once when i went to the manual and discoed the "periferials" like the key board... I will turn her on and wait a while then. I will be using a usb boot ubunto 10.10 stick

What video cable are you using? vga to vga? I'm not sure that vga to dvi will work, or vga to hdmi. I think I am straight vga to vga ...I am going look now and see what else I can think of. I put the first cpu in wrong, but I doubt you did that...

Back