• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Thing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your USB type on the mobo should be ver. 2.0. What USB version is your case? Mine was ver. 3.0, so I did not even connect my USB cable to the front (top) of the case on Tanker.

If I need USB, I use the two at the back of the system, on the i/o panel, but there are only two of them - not enough for me to connect my keyboard, mouse, and a USB stick.

Your system may be waiting for the boot, because it isn't set in the BIOS to boot from the USB stick. Hit delete key a few times during boot up, and set the BIOS to use the USB to boot from.

Got her to post... All I have connected now is the HDD and CD drive... Keyboard/Mouse too... thats good! I'll post again if I run into other issues

I guess it was the front pannel USB connections... oh well, dont need them...

Now, I just need internet in my "internetless" corner of the house where I had to move my computer... WNDA3100 USB stick wont work on my linux... My extra router I have, I cannot log into it, to acitvate it as something off my other wireless network to feed me the internet... and I dont have long cables. UGH! if it aint one thing, its another!!

Looks like it is off to the walmart to get the 110v ethernet extender... just go off the houses electrical I guess.

Was hoping to burn in tonight!! At least my wife wont be mad now... Instead of playin on my comp, I can curl up on the couch and watch the tube ;)

I guess it was the front pannel USB connections... oh well, dont need them...

Now, I just need internet in my "internetless" corner of the house where I had to move my computer... WNDA3100 USB stick wont work on my linux... My extra router I have, I cannot log into it, to acitvate it as something off my other wireless network to feed me the internet... and I dont have long cables. UGH! if it aint one thing, its another!!

Looks like it is off to the walmart to get the 110v ethernet extender... just go off the houses electrical I guess.

Was hoping to burn in tonight!! At least my wife wont be mad now... Instead of playin on my comp, I can curl up on the couch and watch the tube ;)
We were all about to fly to Kansas for an intervention:grouphug:!

Theoretically... Could I install windows on a VM, install the USB wifi dongle in the windows, then share my Internet to the Linux host machine? Just a thought...

I think not! :D

Guess I can quit ringing this darn prayer bell, eh?

Last edited:
For some reason this sounds familiar :bump::rofl:

You'll blaze through the ranks for a while,
then settle into a lofty perch,
stretch out your arms and exclaim,
how wonderful the world really is,
looking down on all those below you fighting amongst themselves.
Then there will be the gentle knock,
followed by a bang; one intruder will pin you against the wall
as several others rush past.

After banging my head against the wall, and trying to get my routers to talk via wireless and then trying to get my USB WiFi stick to work on my linux, I just located my laptop next to my rig and am shareing the connection through my LAN port from my Wifi on the laptop...

installing stuff... hope to be up and churning shortly!!!!!!

Take your time Steve, take your time. We've waited a month or so, a few days more ...

OK, times up! :D

@Mark620: Yeah, isn't that the truth though? Leonardo has been around long enough to have seen this several times.
Unfortunately, so have we! :p

OK! All set, Kraken installed, crunching now... will see what TPF I get soon... p6903... I will wait to install Langoust, as I tested it before on my 3960x, but it seemed weird to me, feels like I am not sending W/U's even though I am.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOU HELP!!!

I "cheated" and used Windows programs (CoreTemp), since I was benching for the team, and running on Windows Server in order to give that help.

The best way to do this seems to depend on the packages that you've downloaded with that version of Ubuntu, which packages were installed, which were removed, the phase of the moon, and what the gypsy sees in her crystal ball.

I believe I used lm-sensors last time in Ubuntu, but that was on ver. 8 so probably no good. Let me check around, because I do need something more than I have now, as well.

Well -- it's typical Linux!:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2780

Installing the xsensor package (mentioned in that thread), sounded good, but I don't want something that's going to really slow down the system the way that Task Manager does.

Last edited:
Will snoop too... and I will check out TPC as well Leo... thanks guys...

"The Things" performance so far:
p6903 - 14:47TPF with Kracken ~460K ppd
Sound good?

Sound good?
Very Good!! You beat me to it after all!:p:D:beer::beer: I took a freaking detour Sun night and went with the V7 client....:screwy: Now I'm not going to quit before I get it working...:rain:

I'm on Rosetta meanwhile.

Last edited:

Sound good?

sound very good but where are the pics :p cause i dont see any of it finished :popcorn:

sound very good but where are the pics :p cause i dont see any of it finished :popcorn:

I update the first thread with pics as to not have pics burried in subsequent posts/pages... but I need to grab the SD card for the pic I forgot to take off the camera with the HS's installed, and a the screen shot of it actually crunching (gonna install a temp monitor too for the pic).

This whole experience was... :fight: ... :comp: ... now :bump: :clap:

Back