• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e6l4caminoman

Sorry If I may be in the wrong section for this but I figured that I could get some help on this.

I have a...
sabertooth 990fx Mobo with 901 bios updated to latest
Corsair vengence ram @ 16 gigs
WD 500 gig hard drive
along with a WD 400 gig HDD Secondary
8150 FX 8 core CPU
with H60 corsair Water cooling
palit 560 ti 2gig Video card
oh yes I have a Corsair 1200 watt PSu

and running 2 monitors

The main problem I have is when I have it just sitting idle it will sometimes just sit with the blank screen saver and cannot move the mouse or keyboard reaction and I have to press the reset in order to get the OS back. I am also OC the 8150 @ 4.1ghz in which I try to bump up to 4.2 and start to get problems. IE: as in freezes and CPU fan has stopped messages.

Last edited:
:welcome:
Does this happen when the computer tries to suspend? I've had bad luck in the past with overclocked computers trying to go into "sleep" mode. They usually don't wake up. Try disabling sleep/suspend in the Power Options section of Windows and see if it stops. The downside is that the computer will be on all the time, but that's better than it freezing...

I actually have that disabled I try not to have that enabled due to that happening.

Then something else might be causing it to freeze. Is your system stable in Prime95 and/or Linx?

Stable so far...

ok I bought a new Power supply a corsair 1200 watt and this has helped with some of the problems.

But I am now having trouble with OC the chip and board. I am using Mafia II to judge performance.

Settings:
cpu bus/peg Freq:205
Cpu volt:1.33125
cpu/nb volt:1.15
dram volt:1.5

vdd pcie volt:1.120
vddr volt:1.2
vdda volt:2.5
NB HT volt:1.20625
SB volt:1.1
NB 1.8v volt:1.8

the cores are running @ 4.344.9 ish

as I play MII it runs good until I start upping the cpu volt and pcie volt. because when I am playing it will start to show signs that it is getting laggy and cars blowing up or the player and the orientation thing will look like a heartbeat monitor.

Have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo and the advanced P states? Also, go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and choose High Performance. This could be a "green" problem.

Bump your CPUNB volts to maybe, 1.225. I wonder if you are having an overheating problem. The H60 water cooler I would not think is enough for that CPU. Have you checked core temps when under full load say with Prime95 blend?

Last edited:
Have you disabled Cool N Quiet, C1E, Turbo and the advanced P states? Also, go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and choose High Performance. This could be a "green" problem.

Bump your CPUNB volts to maybe, 1.225. I wonder if you are having an overheating problem. The H60 water cooler I would not think is enough for that CPU. Have you checked core temps when under full load say with Prime95 blend?

CNQ - yes
C1E - if disabled would do funny things (like reboot) Haven't tried with new psu though.
Turbo - enabled and ran fine.
Advanced P - Disabled like erP,

Running the Prime95 blend test...

Finished prime95 test and is running good but I had it at stock level (No OC) I will be OC'ing and then try the prime95.

Last edited:
"Turbo" is a misnomer. It means that only some of the cores speed up while the others stay at stock frequency. It's a power/heat conservation method and messes with overclocking. You should disable it. The fact that when C1E is disabled you get instability is rather curious. Did you change the Power Option in Windows to High Performance?

Prime95 results

ok here are the results for the OC @ 4.2 Ghz with the Turbo cores disabled

[Sun Mar 18 08:57:37 2012]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Sun Mar 18 09:13:53 2012]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Sun Mar 18 09:29:41 2012]
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
[Mon Mar 19 09:27:22 2012]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

For some reason I have an error on the 8th core. At least it did not stop responding and had to reset the computer. I am going in the right direction now.

Having a core fail the Prime95 stress test means you aren't yet quite stable but are very close. A little extra CPU voltage usually fixes that but you always, always need to monitor core temps and CPU (socket) temps when running the Prime95 stress test, especially when you start adding CPU voltage. You want to keep your core temps from exceeding 55 C. and your socket temps from exceeding 65 C. HWMonitor is a great temp monitoring program which will give you both readings. Excessive heat is not only dangerous to the equipment but also is a chief cause of instability. What are you cooling the CPU with? Stock cooler or a good aftermarket something?

Another thing that can help stabilize an overclock is to bump the CPUNB voltage up a tad. I'm not as familiar with the FX CPUs but the Phenom IIs like 1.225-1.25. Increasing he memory voltage by a tad can also aid stability when overclocking, say by .05 for ram whose stock voltage rating is 1.5.

Instead of typing in the Prime95 info, it would be much easier to just attach a pic. Using Snipping Tool in Windows 7 Accessories, frame, crop and save the images. Then go to any forum new post window and click on "Go Advanced". When the Advanced post window pops up, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. That will bring up the file browser/uploader. The rest will be obvious.

Speaking of pics, install CPU-z and upload pics of these three tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". That will give us loads of info about your system and settings to be able to help you.

here are the pics

got the pics from cpuid

cpu.png
[/IMG]

mem.png
[/IMG]

spd.png
[/IMG]

Thanks for the pics. Did you notice that your core speed is being reported at 1404.6 mhz = 1.4 ghz? What's going on there? And look, your multiplier is only 7X. Some green, down-throttling thing is still active making your CPU slow way down, at least at idle. Why don't you open up CPU-z again, leave it open and then load the CPU. Tell us what the CPU frequency and multiplier are under load.

Back