• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o.c my system need some advise plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domjam

hello this my first time in the forums and i would like some help and advice. Thanks

im new to o.c and i have atempted an oc of my cpu and ram..i would like some advise to no if what i have done is safe or not. im using a crosshair formula IV Mb and used the d.o.p overclock profile to set my ram automaticly.i have o.c from 3.2 to 3.5ghz with a cpu ratio of 13 a bus of 250 and the rest is on auto. my memory is o.c to 2000 mhz witch is the tested oc spec for the memory.I have not touched voltage because i have little experience and i dont want to blow up my computer up or at least not untill i get a good cooler because i only have standard cooling and standard fans that came with my case . the other thing is can anyone tell me what the safe temp is for a 5870 matrix 2 gig?i tryed looking around on google but only found reviews. i want to o.c it as best i can on just stock cooling without touching voltage. so far i have started o.c using ccc overdrive,msi afterburner and msi kombuster. at first i used skyrim to see what the temps were like and thay were hitting up to 80c the core clock is on 950mhz and the memory is on 1300 mhz over drive ses test passed. I tryd using kombuster doing the extream gpu burn test .temps got to 71 c after 5 mins my screen went black and i had to do a hard restart of my computer no artifacts were visible on the screen though.can some one advise me please? i dont want to coninue pushing it if it cant handle it thanks. specs bellow

cpu:amd phenom x6 1090T black edition
ram:2x2 kingston hyper x o.c 2000mhz
mb: cross hair formula IV
gpu asus 5870 matrix 2 gig platinum
psu:corsair hx 1000
case: HAF X

1. Whatever you consider your stable CPU Mhz should be verified with at a minimum of 2 hours of Prime95 in "blend" mode. Temps of the CORE of the cpu should not exceed approximately 55c during the 2 hours of P95 Blend.

2. Went and read a couple or so reviews of the video card you have and most were overclocked further/faster or however you want to call the card clocks of the ram and gpu than your card and they were in the range of NO more than 85c. I have never seen any video card that I liked to run much beyond 85c.

"d.o.p. overclock profile"? We would not suggest using any kind of bios genie or software to overclock with. They never manipulate enough variables to do it right. Commit to learning and using the manual controls in bios instead.

To get much of an overclock you will need to increase you CPU voltage. Safe and effective overclocking is done in small increments, testing for temps and stability with each small change.

You will not be able to get much overclock withe stock CPU cooler.

The place to start is testing for CPU (socket) and CPU "core" temps with all frequencies and voltages at stock to see if you have any headroom for increasing CPU voltages and frequencies. Download and install two programs: "HWMonitor" and "Prime95". With HWMonitor open on the desktop, run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Then report back to us what were the maximum CPU and maximum core temps reached.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply but im confused i downloaded the cpuid hardware monitor app but there is nothing showing temps for cpu.. it just has tempretures for my hardrives. and there is a power package above with 0.00w for all the values.

Post a screenshot and we will be able to help you, if there is a phenom 1090t with a + next to it click the +and that will expand the processor tree revealing the temps for each core:thup:

i dont no how to post a screen shot :S its like this

cpuid hardware monitor

sensors values min max

- pc

-amd k10
-power

package 0.00v 0.00v 0.00v

hardrive
+tempratures
asembly 25c 24c 25c
airflow 25c 24c 25c

Which version have you got? Try a different version , preferably the latest version, you can select which version you want on the hwmonitor web page (I can't link it as I'm using my phone) under version history

thanks for the reply but im confused i downloaded the cpuid hardware monitor app but there is nothing showing temps for cpu.. it just has tempretures for my hardrives. and there is a power package above with 0.00w for all the values.

The CPU temp sometimes does not show up in HWMonitor with that label so the program gives it a generic label like TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TMPIN2, etc. One of those will be the CPU socket temp. The surest way to find out which one it is is to start running Prime95 and take note of the TMPINx line that shoots up the fastest along with the core temp readings. The other TMPINx lines represent readings from other environmental sensors located on the motherboard.

To post a pic, the first task is to do a screen capture of the relevant image and save it to file. "Snipping Tool" in Windows Accessories is great for this. With Snipping tool you can crop, draw lines on, capture and save the images to disk.

To upload the images with your post, go to a new post Window and click on the "Go Advanced" button which will take you to the Advance Post window. Locate the little paperclip icon at the top and click on it. The brings up the File browser and uploader window. The rest is obvious. You can upload as many as three pics at a time and you can add more later by editing the post.

Some progress but a ways to go yet with the pics. Please down expand the HWMonitor user interface so that it takes up the entire desktop window. Second, for some reason we only see the very bottom part of the HWMonitor interface, the part where it shows the hard disk temps. We need to see the part from the top where it gives system voltages and the middle where it gives TIMPNx. So scroll back up and put that part in view before you do the screen capture. And we want to see the numbers after you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes.

that is all i get with the program..that was expanded to hole size of my desktop if it helps it is the 64bit version 1.19.0 driver version.that is what is listed in the about section

update..its wierd i just reopend it and now i get all the volts and stuff..wonder why that is.anywaz here is what is on my scree. full size

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 100
Turn off the core unlocking feature in your bios. That's interfering with the core temp sensor reading. That's why they show "0". You don't have any cores to unlock on that CPU anyway. Please run Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with HWMonitor already open so we can see what your max core temps reach under full load. It looks like you just are showing idle temps there.

There's definitely something wrong with the CPU temp lol , I love the way you can see the NB ,SB temp and voltage as well as basically the whole bios , verry usefull. Do you have Coe unlock enabled in bios as that can screw the core temp readings ?

Edit : Trents man you are fast !

yes the motherbord is a crosshair formula iv and its desighnd for overclock..im not sure how to turn of the core unlocker though..i will have a look in bios and get back to u guys

Core unlocking may be called "ACC" (Advanced Clock Calibration) in your bios or it may be called something else. ACC is common terminology for that feature, however.

dident see anything in bios with the title core unocker. there was enable turbo core technoaligy and it was set to auto. when i boot up on the screen beffor windows starts there is a message saying 6 cores unlocked but thats it.

Back