• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Measuring GPU performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

Hey guys, what's the best way to measure GPU performance? I just got a 6970 and want to run numbers to compare its performance to my 5770. I know I can just plug it in and use it but I want to know the before-and-after score to fully appreciate it. I'm currently downloading 3DMark 11 v1.03 (free version), I have MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z, and FRAPS. Is that enough? I would like to get numbers from benchmarks to compare the two plus I would like to take in-game framerates and screenshots (of scenery detail), again as a before-and-after test.

Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. Games-of-choice would be Skyrim, DCS A10C, Shogun 2.

Also, is there any benefit or possibility of Xfire-ing my 6970 to the 5770?

3DMark 11 is a good way to compare performance. Just make sure you benchmark it with exactly the same settings.

What's the difference between 3DMark Vantage and 11? I look at Tom's HW and they use 3DMark Vantage and not 11...

Vantage tests DX as well...(all 3dmarks do), its just which version of DX.

3DMark 11 uses tessellation quite heavily and more advanced features of DX11 while Vantage is a DX10 test IIRC.

I know this is an older post but i searched and it was most on topic soooo, this would also be a good choice to test an OC on my GPU as well or are there better programs for that purpose?

Back