Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Press Release - G.Skill Launches Ares Low Profile Memory

G.Skill's RipjawsX / RipjawsZ kits were already pretty low profile, but these are even morediminutive. We don't usually regurgitate press releases, but there are so many people with large CPU coolers that want stronger memory it seemed this one was pretty relevant. Now you can have your high-performance cake and eat it too!
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

Premium Member #5

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    If those specs are final retail, then I am not impressed. My current set of 2133 G.Skill runs at 8-9-8-24. What is with memory kits having such sloppy timings?

EDIT: they do look nice though.

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Days of tight timings are (probably) over. The manufacturers just don't make the ICs any more. G.Skill has some of the highest/tightest memory out there, but sadly it's not like it used to be.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Sloppy timings are cheap, high MHz is easy to sell.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -- Einstein (maybe)

Thinking about an Asus motherboard? Think again.

How to check your PSU with a multimeter.

17bXw5t51rEBXGavJFMJsC8g7HQgThUGc7

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Looks like it's all for dual channel only too. Triple channel sets dead?

<MEGA-O>
    ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 /i7 4790K De-Lid @ 4.7GHz
    16GB GSKILL Sniper F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR @ 2400MHz
    H2O=XSPC Rasa Black / XSPC RX360 / MCP-655 D5 / MCRes
    Corsair Force GS SSD 128GB / WD VelociRaptor 300GB
    Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD WF3 @ 1100/1500 w/ModBios
    Sony AD-7220S / Corsair Force 3 120GB / Lite On LH-16A1S
    SilverStone Zeus SST-ZM1350 1350w
    CM Cosmos 1000 / Win8.1 x64
    ** Under TITLE II, SECTION 210.340 it is legal to overclock **

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Dual & Quad. Tri-chan is (as of X79) apparently in the past. They still have existing tri-chan kits but doesn't look like they're looking back with this release.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Insatiably Malcontent
    10 Year Badge
    I like that "low profile" modules now are as exactly as high as normal modules used to be before these dumb spiky heatspreaders.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 2x4GB Samsung DDR3 | GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    120GB Crucial M4 | 2x 2TB Samsung F4 | Seasonic S12 600w
    y2 DAC --> Custom M^3 --> Custom LM3875 ChipAmp --> Modula MTs
    Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled

8. Thanks!

Theocnoob (02-08-12)

Not sure what it was Member Theocnoob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johan851 View Post
    I like that "low profile" modules now are as exactly as high as normal modules used to be before these dumb spiky heatspreaders.
    Agreed!

It's funny to see a "new" release of the same old heatspreaders that have been around for years. G-Skill is the only one doing it too. So far the only true low profile I have seen were those Samsung posted here not too long ago. Those things were tiny!

EDIT: Just realized you basically said that johan but still true.
    AMD Phenom 1055T @ 3.4
    ASUS M4A89TD Pro
    Mushkin Redline 996999 PC31600 7,8,7,24 1T
    MSI R290 @ 1000/1250
    Monsta 240, MCP 655, UT60 360, XSPC Rasa, ek R290X Acetel

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." - Thomas Jefferson

Premium Member #5

Quote Originally Posted by BugFreak View Post
    It's funny to see a "new" release of the same old heatspreaders that have been around for years. G-Skill is the only one doing it too. So far the only true low profile I have seen were those Samsung posted here not too long ago. Those things were tiny!

EDIT: Just realized you basically said that johan but still true.
    I reviewed those sticks and they didn't even stick above the holding clips.
    SSD > PCMark 05
    freeagent - Torture is watching all these 2600k's kicking my rig in the mosfets

Senior Memory Guru
    Premium Member #19

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Rosetta Profile
    Black PCB looks like that from RipjawsX 4GB sticks 1600-1866 that I saw on Hynix IC. Hard to say what is inside but I can't see there anything special. If they had to use 1.65V for best clocking set then I wouldn't count on anything much above average. ( Latest Samsung IC can prove that I can be wrong but Samsung is on lower voltage ). I'm just waiting for some good review.

XFD @ "1600MHz CL10-10-10-30"

....wut??
    Case: Corsair 800D
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z
    CPU: 2500k @ Stock (Custom WC Loop)
    Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB @ 1600
    HD: Crucial M4 64GB (OS) | 300GB WD Raptor
    Video Card: XFX HD 4870 (for now)
    PSU: Corsair HX850

Quote Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

....wut??
    No kidding. It's like the companies are just getting lazy and not even trying to find new ram tech these days. We have been sitting at the current ~9,9,9 for a while now with an occasional 7,8,7 that is unreliable. Sad days indeed.
    AMD Phenom 1055T @ 3.4
    ASUS M4A89TD Pro
    Mushkin Redline 996999 PC31600 7,8,7,24 1T
    MSI R290 @ 1000/1250
    Monsta 240, MCP 655, UT60 360, XSPC Rasa, ek R290X Acetel

"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." - Thomas Jefferson

Underwater Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    The heatspreaders sure are purty. Too bad no one makes a case large enough to stick your head in and see them after installing.
    Nice and thick too, limits cooling between sticks.
    Genius!

I wish they'd just glue on some 1mm copper and laser etch size and other info on that. Let the ram really breathe cool.

I know it probably isn't easy "snazzing" up the ram for retail packaging, but why make it look like the hood of a Lotus?

**BTW, I DO appreciate the low profile, and loss of the "Sonic" hairdo.
    Last edited by Diggrr; 02-09-12 at 06:55 PM.

Insatiably Malcontent
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggrr View Post
    The heatspreaders sure are purty. Too bad no one makes a case large enough to stick your head in and see them after installing.
    Nice and thick too, limits cooling between sticks.
    Genius!

I wish they'd just glue on some 1mm copper and laser etch size and other info on that. Let the ram really breathe cool.

I know it probably isn't easy "snazzing" up the ram for retail packaging, but why make it look like the hood of a Lotus?

**BTW, I DO appreciate the low profile, and loss of the "Sonic" hairdo.
    Can't we just have RAM without heatspreaders? RAM isn't even very hot anymore.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2500K @ 4.6GHz | 2x4GB Samsung DDR3 | GTX 750 Ti 2GB
    120GB Crucial M4 | 2x 2TB Samsung F4 | Seasonic S12 600w
    y2 DAC --> Custom M^3 --> Custom LM3875 ChipAmp --> Modula MTs
    Dual Dell 2007WFP | Watercooled

Heatware Profile
    ^^^
    When I built my uncle's protools box, I got the cheapest 1333mhz G-Skill kit I could find because he wanted 16GB. No heatspreaders, no stability problems. They're honestly mostly unnecessary nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

....wut??
    I remember a time when I used to care about RAM timings. With my current build I did some tests with faster timings and didn't see any change at the same clocks other than a slight bump in a synthetic benchmark, so I just didn't bother other than setting them to 1T CR. I don't know if this means I'm getting old, or if Intel's memory controllers are just that good now that timings really don't matter beyond 1600mhz/CAS9. At least it makes RAM shopping cheaper than ever.

Even the heatspreaders on my RipjawsX are ridiculous, given that they don't even hit 40C at 1.52V.
    Desktop: i7 2600K @ 4.6ghz w/ TR HR-02 + SD 120x38mm // Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P // MSI R9 290 4GB
    16GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600mhz // Samsung 830 256GB // 6TB // Thermaltake Armor // Corsair TX750
    Server: Q6600 G0 // EP35-DS3R // 4GB DDR2 // 4850 512MB // 840Pro 128GB // 4.25TB // Corsair TX650
    Laptop: Latitude D630 // C2M T7300 // 4GB DDR2 // X3100 // Samsung 830 128GB
    Smoothwall: P4 2.4C // 1GB DDR // AOpen MX4GVR // 20GB // Corsair CX430
    I like HEAT

i dont think we will ever get performance kits without heat spreaders any more, because of how much the ram is an understated part of the system you might aswell have it look nice, it looks great when it matches the mobo heatsinks to
    This is not the signature you are looking for.

Please Fold For Team32!

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    makes me wonder if they are using samsung IC's now... as someone posted a while back of a LP kit samsung has out. looking at the 8gig kit, it does look like it could be. as gskill is speccing at 1.5v which the samsung kit can handle, if that is the case they tighen up but not as much as would be needed for a .15v increase. could just be gskill is playing it safe on the timings/voltage for the ram kits. i picked up two samsung 8gig kits at fry's local for $39.99 each even with taxes that is cheaper then newegg. im thinking of some ram sinks since i plan on pushing them with 1.65v and see what they do speed/timing wise.

btw here is the frontpage article about the samsung LP 8gig kit.
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=694004

Intel G3258@4.2ghz | Asrock Z97M OC Formula | Galaxy GTX660 GC | PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 FDE 250GB | SilverStone ST45SF
    i3 370M | Jetway NF98 | 2x2gig DDR3-1066 | pico 120WI | Asus GT630 2GB (GK208) |
    intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Commensing Shock Therapy!"
    I'm jonnyGURU of jonnyGURU.com and we don't overload PSU's - JonnyGURU

HeatWare

Premium Member #5

Nice. Once you get them tested think you could post some results in the Samsung review?

Senior Fourm Spammer

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    yea i can, just having a hard time figuring out which ram sinks to go with atm. would be nice though if someone here had a review kit and could take the sinks off to ID the IC's. i think im half right on them being samsung IC's, as the pcb is black on my two kits. with out closer pics of the edges of the pcb's it would be hard to say without takin the sinks off.

*edit*
    after looking over the pics agian of the gskill ram, but closer up this time on my tv. the ram does in fact look to be normal height ram as if you look as the samsung review. there are less tabs on the sides of the pcb's, however that does not stop gskill from having custom pcb's made for samsung ic's. not only that but between the notches on the pin side my sammys say "green ddr3" as the ones shown dont. i need to get a digi cam agian. :x

Intel G3258@4.2ghz | Asrock Z97M OC Formula | Galaxy GTX660 GC | PM840 Pro 128GB, PM830 FDE 250GB | SilverStone ST45SF
    i3 370M | Jetway NF98 | 2x2gig DDR3-1066 | pico 120WI | Asus GT630 2GB (GK208) |
    intel i5 2450M

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Commensing Shock Therapy!"
    I'm jonnyGURU of jonnyGURU.com and we don't overload PSU's - JonnyGURU

HeatWare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast