• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Press Release - G.Skill Launches Ares Low Profile Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If those specs are final retail, then I am not impressed. My current set of 2133 G.Skill runs at 8-9-8-24. What is with memory kits having such sloppy timings?

EDIT: they do look nice though. :)

Days of tight timings are (probably) over. The manufacturers just don't make the ICs any more. G.Skill has some of the highest/tightest memory out there, but sadly it's not like it used to be.

Dual & Quad. Tri-chan is (as of X79) apparently in the past. They still have existing tri-chan kits but doesn't look like they're looking back with this release. :)

I like that "low profile" modules now are as exactly as high as normal modules used to be before these dumb spiky heatspreaders.

It's funny to see a "new" release of the same old heatspreaders that have been around for years. G-Skill is the only one doing it too. So far the only true low profile I have seen were those Samsung posted here not too long ago. Those things were tiny!

EDIT: Just realized you basically said that johan but still true.

It's funny to see a "new" release of the same old heatspreaders that have been around for years. G-Skill is the only one doing it too. So far the only true low profile I have seen were those Samsung posted here not too long ago. Those things were tiny!

EDIT: Just realized you basically said that johan but still true.

I reviewed those sticks and they didn't even stick above the holding clips.

Black PCB looks like that from RipjawsX 4GB sticks 1600-1866 that I saw on Hynix IC. Hard to say what is inside but I can't see there anything special. If they had to use 1.65V for best clocking set then I wouldn't count on anything much above average. ( Latest Samsung IC can prove that I can be wrong but Samsung is on lower voltage ). I'm just waiting for some good review.

XFD @ "1600MHz CL10-10-10-30"

....wut??
No kidding. It's like the companies are just getting lazy and not even trying to find new ram tech these days. We have been sitting at the current ~9,9,9 for a while now with an occasional 7,8,7 that is unreliable. Sad days indeed.

The heatspreaders sure are purty. Too bad no one makes a case large enough to stick your head in and see them after installing.
Nice and thick too, limits cooling between sticks.
Genius!

I wish they'd just glue on some 1mm copper and laser etch size and other info on that. Let the ram really breathe cool.

I know it probably isn't easy "snazzing" up the ram for retail packaging, but why make it look like the hood of a Lotus?

**BTW, I DO appreciate the low profile, and loss of the "Sonic" hairdo.

Last edited:
The heatspreaders sure are purty. Too bad no one makes a case large enough to stick your head in and see them after installing.
Nice and thick too, limits cooling between sticks.
Genius!

I wish they'd just glue on some 1mm copper and laser etch size and other info on that. Let the ram really breathe cool.

I know it probably isn't easy "snazzing" up the ram for retail packaging, but why make it look like the hood of a Lotus?

**BTW, I DO appreciate the low profile, and loss of the "Sonic" hairdo.
Can't we just have RAM without heatspreaders? RAM isn't even very hot anymore.

^^^
When I built my uncle's protools box, I got the cheapest 1333mhz G-Skill kit I could find because he wanted 16GB. No heatspreaders, no stability problems. They're honestly mostly unnecessary nowadays.

XFD @ "1600MHz CL10-10-10-30"

....wut??
I remember a time when I used to care about RAM timings. With my current build I did some tests with faster timings and didn't see any change at the same clocks other than a slight bump in a synthetic benchmark, so I just didn't bother other than setting them to 1T CR. I don't know if this means I'm getting old, or if Intel's memory controllers are just that good now that timings really don't matter beyond 1600mhz/CAS9. At least it makes RAM shopping cheaper than ever.

Even the heatspreaders on my RipjawsX are ridiculous, given that they don't even hit 40C at 1.52V.

i dont think we will ever get performance kits without heat spreaders any more, because of how much the ram is an understated part of the system you might aswell have it look nice, it looks great when it matches the mobo heatsinks to :)

makes me wonder if they are using samsung IC's now... as someone posted a while back of a LP kit samsung has out. looking at the 8gig kit, it does look like it could be. as gskill is speccing at 1.5v which the samsung kit can handle, if that is the case they tighen up but not as much as would be needed for a .15v increase. could just be gskill is playing it safe on the timings/voltage for the ram kits. i picked up two samsung 8gig kits at fry's local for $39.99 each even with taxes that is cheaper then newegg. im thinking of some ram sinks since i plan on pushing them with 1.65v and see what they do speed/timing wise.

btw here is the frontpage article about the samsung LP 8gig kit.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694004

yea i can, just having a hard time figuring out which ram sinks to go with atm. would be nice though if someone here had a review kit and could take the sinks off to ID the IC's. i think im half right on them being samsung IC's, as the pcb is black on my two kits. with out closer pics of the edges of the pcb's it would be hard to say without takin the sinks off.

*edit*
after looking over the pics agian of the gskill ram, but closer up this time on my tv. the ram does in fact look to be normal height ram as if you look as the samsung review. there are less tabs on the sides of the pcb's, however that does not stop gskill from having custom pcb's made for samsung ic's. not only that but between the notches on the pin side my sammys say "green ddr3" as the ones shown dont. i need to get a digi cam agian. :x

Back