• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xsuperbgx's Volt modding, zombies and electronics learning thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
quick Q for soldering those caps.... how does it work? Do they get soldered through to the other side of the motherboard but I/we just can't see the bottom side that you soldered them to I presume?

Yeah them're through hole caps. All the traces and solder points are on the other side of the board, hence the jumpers (bare wires) on the visible side rather than traces and a solder mask.

Pretty easy, generally speaking.

Quite easy to do, you dont even need additional tools for removal, you can pretty much heat one lead and press it through to the other side and do the same with the other lead. They tend to use the early ROHS unleaded solder that you have to dump a HUGE amount of heat into, just to get it workable in any form. Atleast the few older monitors and flatscreen tvs I have all worked, had the same horrible solder in them.

I can atest to the easy fixin of TVs with bad caps!
Using a hot flat tipped iron made it easy work.

I traded the 32in TV I fixed for a dewar.... :D
......Just need to break my Ln2 cherry.....whenever life says thats possible.

How'd you go about finding the broken TVs? Just look on craigslist for dead TVs and go take em?

Heh, I just searched local craigslist for them and there are four ads....from people that want broken LCD TVs. Guess the secret's out around here.

I had the same problem, bad caps, on a samsung LCD. Replaced them, still doesn't work. I've been working on that problem for a year now. Off and on project. :/ Maybe I should send it to you for fixing. I have to much other stuff going on now.

If anyone can get let into their local electronics recycler, and get to the tvs before the screens get busted. You can often find good projects there.

Yeah I been thinking about setting something up with the local ones here for a while, I been trying to find a projector thats doesnt work right for project, but might see if i can setup something with them for tv's and stuff.

I need old school - school. Geforce 256 agp for the hwbot contest. I got 300 pts on 3d03, but didn't get a ss before it crashed. That would tie for 3rd. I need to keep it cooler and maybe vmod.

IMAG1027.jpg

IMAG1028.jpg

IMAG1024.jpg

IMAG1026.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg

I got the 7900gtx re-done (Fell off when baked.) The ti500, ti4800se and 6800 ultra are each 90% done.

5950 is a challenge.. I am unsure of vmod on that. I found one on line that looks right but measuring ohms tells me that it is not right. http://www.xpert-oc-team.de/forum/index.php?area=vbcmsarea_content&contentid=16. measured ohms at the point that they put on the vgpu mod is only 1-2 ohms, so i think it is wrong. It is not connected electrically to the fb pin either.

I am going to add some caps to the good scoring cards that have potential to take top spots in the class. I have the caps from a motherboard and from a dead gpu or two. Do I just need to make sure the voltage rating is higher that the voltage that they will receive, then solder them in parallel to the existing caps?

Yeah I might take a shot at this theres some helpful information in there about the vrms. I have one in my possesion that could either use a ressurection of the vrm or possibly might be workable still after such a miracle. But highly unlikely. Things had some serious abuse in its lifetime.

I'm keeping an eye on that. Saved the article they linked to my HDD so I can run it through a translator later.

Back