• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xsuperbgx's Volt modding, zombies and electronics learning thread.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'll need to hotwire it to run even thought it has been removed, without a datasheet on the controllers it may be rough.

Perhaps i need to buy an untouchables, then i need one of the controllers right?

Actually TiN has now posted the voltmod guide for the untouchables, so that you don't need a evbot to use them. Which is kinda nice. Ed's also got some magic up his sleeve that might be seeing the light of day soon aswell that avoids some of that :D

I'm not sure it's so much that you don't need an EVBot as that you can adjust the base levels. I suspect that OVP may kick in at some point. Maybe not though.

My most recent volt mods. Waiting for my 3770k so that i can bench them. I suppose that I will try adding on some capacitors after I bench them (just in case I kill them.)

I also just got a 2900xt for $5 +shipping. I will probably make a zombie, like in Tin's thread here. That is a very impressive thread, if he ever gets the pictures back in it. I don't know how to hook up the evbot to that so that it will work. I will have to dig around, or maybe just ask. :shrug:

8800gtx
IMAG0860.jpg
IMAG0861.jpg

9600gt - this is a PNY non reference (looks like another good untouchables candidate)
IMAG0858.jpg
IMAG0859.jpg

Last edited:
I got what I thought was a 2900xt today. Turns out is a non reference? 2900pro, so I cannot do the "Tin" treatment to it. I guess I will just bench it. It has only one 8 pin power plug instead of two 6 pin.

Bench the hell out of it. Thing deserves a voltmod, too!
Post some pics of it, I'm curious what regulator(s) it has.

I am going to try to do a motherboard mod. I have this Asrock a785gxh128m. It was a pretty good clocker on the fsb. 420 was the max fsb that I did on it with 1.68V for vcore on a sempron 145.
I was able to get that sempron up to 426 on the 790x-ud4p with 1.792V. It is my goal to meet or pass that score. I am hoping to use this as a good board for AM2 stuff like athlon x2's. Controller is L6740L. Perhaps someone knows about this vdroop mod here in the data sheet(pg.8). "Short to FB to implement droop function, if not used, short to SGND" I am guessing that this is simply a short pin 4 to pin 5 when I am soldiring a wire on pin 4. I probably have to check pin 5 for resistance to ground it may be either way already. Perhaps cut the trace if it is already shorted to ground.
Also, I suppose that i may as well do a connection on NB-FB as well so that I can increase that, but I wonder how that will work with older chips that could not adjust the v-nb seperate from the vcore.

Here is some board shots:
IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0870.jpg

2900 looks to use VT1165MF. I think that is a real common amd/ati controller. Here's some shots of the 2900:

IMAG0866.jpg

IMAG0868.jpg

If it's currently shorted to GND and it becomes shorted to FB as well, you're in for rather of a lot of voltage.
I would lift that pin off the mobo so it isn't shorted to GND and then solder it to FB.

measurement of pin4 to gd. 1.764k
measurement of pin5 to gd. 1.289k

I check with dmm and and follow traces on board both pins go to one resistor pin 4 to one side and ppin 5 to the other. .474k ohms across resistor. if I short pins 4+5 together then resistance to ground is the same as pin 5 to gd. 1.289.

I think I need to lift pin 5 like you said or voltage will be hard to predict.
I see on page 23 of spec sheet (fig.9) looks like a little schematic. Do I need to put vr in parallel with the resistor labeled "Rfb"?
Do you know would it be better to change voltage by the offset somehow? pin 8
(says see sect 6.4-page 26) i look and I cannot make sense of formulas to figure how to raise volts by that.

Edit: Perhaps a resistor inline with the vsen pin(pin 6)?

Last edited:
Any ideas on the above?

I won another auction for a 2900xt. 99 cents plus shipping. I looked a little closer, and it seems to be the right one.

I did get my 2900xt. It looks to be the same as the one modded by Tin. Hopefully he gets his pictures back up. I tested the card it is fully functional, so I will bench it before I tear it apart.

Last edited:
I have cards to mod.
IMAG0915.jpg

7900GTX controllers:apw7066 (mem) and PX3535 (gpu)
IMAG0916.jpg For gpu I don't see a FB pin. By looking at the links below and poking around with dmm, it seems they are hooking to the VSENP pin
datasheet here:http://ceemic.pri.ee/hardware/datasheets/PX3535.pdf

For mem, looks like mods linked below, hook to small pad that is connected to fb2 in the datasheet. If fb2 is used what is fb1 and fb3 for? I would assume the linked mods below are correct , but I don't know why. Perhaps they checked each of the others?

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/threads/19-vmod-7900GTX
http://www.overclockaholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2240

Last edited:
For 6800 Ultra:vt1103m gpu and isl6534cv mem
I can't find any datasheet for vt1103m but I found a volt mod: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/124

That also shows a place for mem mod that I do not get. The controller has fb1, fb2, and fb3, but none of those is electrically connected dirctly to the place that is marked. Once again I do not know how to choose which one is for mod, except, do what others have done....
http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn91/fn9134.pdf

Reading the datasheet, I'd say you're right. That's more or less what the CHiL bits do too. It's the FB pin with a new name, sort of, kinda, a little bit.

The memory controller looks like 3-in-1, pretty wild setup really. If nvidia decided to use FB2 I suppose they have some reason for it. It's beyond me, though.

EDIT: Following those who have gone before and succeeded is generally my plan if I can't make sense of things. It annoys me to have to do it though.

9800 gt looks pretty easy.
up6205np fb is pin11
up6161n fb is pin4
It has a few capacitors that seem to have been left off. I will see if I have some that will fit, and install them while I am at it.

Following those who have gone before and succeeded is generally my plan if I can't make sense of things. It annoys me to have to do it though.
That is what I often have to do. I don't really mind following their guide, but it is nice to know the how's and why's.

You could always trace the trace (heh) from the mod point back to the IC and see what pin it's on. Then it'll either make sense or confused the hell out of you.
I've had it both ways!
I really, really, really wanted to do my own mod to something a while ago because I felt that the "official" mod was in the wrong spot. I held off and the "official" mod worked fine.

Of course sometimes that's less the case, the "official" 7970 OCP mod tends to fry things. So who knows, really.

In any case I'm following your exploits closely here :D

Back