• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ip autoconfigured address???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

navyet2sw

I am running several comps off the samecable modem, all 3 run the same type of nic card, realtec 8029as on 2 and a 8039 as family on the other, first one is a p2 350@ 412, second is a p2 400@507, don't ask cause i don't know...what it says...lol, other is a duron [email protected]@31deg c. on both p2's i have had problems with the nic cards going from ip configuration address to ip auto configuration address, both p-2 are running 98 se and the duron is on xp pro :) , any possible expaination to what is happening, not running thru a router or combiner, just switching out, take my good one with me to work...lol.. any help would be nice, any posibilities it could be a prob with a new device driver from microsoft? or probs with new software?

don't run you will just die tired!

So let me get this straight...this is only happening on the 98se machines, right?

Also welcome to the oc.com forums.

nice Arleigh Burke class destroyer

yea it has only happened on the 98se machines, has happened on the xp machine before xp tho. i am thinking it has something to do with the device drivers that come in ms update. anyway to reset it back to regular ip config address?

don't run you will only die tired!

navyet2sw said:
yea it has only happened on the 98se machines, has happened on the xp machine before xp tho. i am thinking it has something to do with the device drivers that come in ms update. anyway to reset it back to regular ip config address?

DHCP is disabled, right? If so then you can set everything in network properties. This will require your router be set up with DHCP disabled also, though, and you'll have to coordinate ip addresses with the other computers on the network.

Yeah, the avatar is my old ship the USS Decatur. I was a RM -> IT when I was there.

If I understand the original question you have 1 cable modem, 3 computers & no router/hub. The 3 computers (call them A,B & C) are all configured to obtain their IP address automatically.

For the sake of argument lets say computer A is connected to the cable modem & working properly. If you then want to access the internet from computer B are you simply unplugging A & then plugging in B?

Ewww! an rm? lol...look at my name...lmao...i am an et.. minsweepers, 12,13,14, dextrous, ardent,chief, from 97-99.

ok easy way to put this, i have 3 comps, only use one at a time, usually the 950, o work one on and 2 off, when i go to work on that one day, i take the 950 to work with me, i plug in the 400 so that my wife can be online while i am at work, the 400 has 98se, on several occasions when the computer is turned on, and internet not available, winipcfg gets run and what shows is instead of ip configuration address, it shows ip autoconfiguration address...no idea what this is? the nic card(realtec 8029as 10/100) has to be replaced for the configuration to return to normal..any idea what does that?

and thanks for the welcome...just getting warmed up

don't run you will just die tired!

Sounds similar to a problem that my step father was describing to me just this past weekend. What he found he had to do was before turning on the second computer he had to push the reset button on the cable modem. When the second computer booted up then everything would work just fine. If he tried to do a 'hot swap' (just simply disconnecting computer A from the modem & then plugging in computer B) that it wouldn't work.

I think what is happening is that the cable modem is trying to communicate with the connected computer based on it's MAC address & when you try to do a 'hot swap' the modem doesn't realize that there is a new computer connected to it & therefore doesn't respond properly.

The easist solution to this is to use a hub, or router. That should eliminate the problem you are experiencing & with a router you could access the internet from any of your computers all at the same time.

Whoops, I thought you were using a router already. Since you're not then nodoze is right about the MAC addresses needing to be refreshed when connecting different computers. If resetting the cable modem clears it's internal RAM then that'll work. If that doesn't then leave it disconnected from the power for a good 5 minutes to make sure that the caps inside discharge.

Hey, the ETs on my ship liked me!

Back