• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possibly dead gpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well small update, have been given an hd 6870 to try instead of the gtx 460 which is working fine in an old pc now, but im still getting the same problem but less frequently, yet scince then i have noticed my 12v is sitting really low at 10.8v could this be a hint that a new psu is in order?

It COULD be, read the post above you, can you borrow a PSU to test?

i did try it and had no problems but could only use it for couple of hours so no real gameing time to test it, only other psu available at home is a 220w hp one from a few years back, ill get hold of a new psu (thinking of going for corsair tx850m unless anyone has other sugestions) ill try that if no luck then i think me and a few friends will take a day out and test each individual part over at theres.
thanks for the help guys hope ill find the solution soon.

i did try it and had no problems but could only use it for couple of hours so no real gameing time to test it, only other psu available at home is a 220w hp one from a few years back, ill get hold of a new psu (thinking of going for corsair tx850m unless anyone has other sugestions) ill try that if no luck then i think me and a few friends will take a day out and test each individual part over at theres.
thanks for the help guys hope ill find the solution soon.

You tried with another PSU for a couple of hours and it was fine? if that differs from using your PSU then i would say it is the PSU.

A TX850M is expensive and overkill, with a (real PSU) IE not a $29.99 PSU,- you don't need more then 650W, as a matter of fact that's plenty for your system.

The Crosair TX is a good PSU, and this one @ $40 less than the 850 is more then enough, (750w might be better if you plan on using 2 high end GPU's, there are no real scenarios to warrant 850W)

But if 850W is what you want go for it, i have a 750W XFX PSU and don't need that much power, its just nice to know its there :)

Last edited:
not meaning to go off topic with this post, but would it not be wise to get the 850 corsair to privide headroom for the future as its not a considerable ammount more cost wise?

not meaning to go off topic with this post, but would it not be wise to get the 850 corsair to privide headroom for the future as its not a considerable ammount more cost wise?

That's not off topic :), your right yes, its another reason i went for 750W and not 650W, because they have a 5 year warranty, in that thime i might be using more power hungry components at a later date, my PSU will happily power 2 6990's and an FX-8150 on a Croshair formula V MOBO, and so will the TX 750 / 850, which also have a 5 year warranty.

good good, well i guess it will come down to how many bills come out of my bank next week, will post back when i have a new psu jus to let ya know how it goes and which one i get, thanks for the info :thup:

tohught id update this post as i said i would, turns out its not my psu failing, it was my motherboard lol.. after my last post i added an extra case fan and dunno why but my mobo went haywire then shut off completly and would not power anything except the extra fan i added (and that was spinning really slowly) no cpu fan, no post, nothing, i returned that mobo for a replacement the same, and all is fine now.. thanks for the time and help from you guys.
thought id post to let you know what happend in the end. (the old corsair psu lives to fight another day :) )

tohught id update this post as i said i would, turns out its not my psu failing, it was my motherboard lol.. after my last post i added an extra case fan and dunno why but my mobo went haywire then shut off completly and would not power anything except the extra fan i added (and that was spinning really slowly) no cpu fan, no post, nothing, i returned that mobo for a replacement the same, and all is fine now.. thanks for the time and help from you guys.
thought id post to let you know what happend in the end. (the old corsair psu lives to fight another day :) )

Thats great :thup: thanks for reporting back. :)

By the way, baking a card to 350C will most definitely FUBAR it.

Lead-free solder, used in virtually all consumer electronics products nowadays, melt at around 250C. That means, you'll be disconnecting the GPU from the PCB (at that temperature, if you flip the board, the GPU will just fall off), as well as everything else.

When it cools, you'll get a lot of shorts between GPU pins. Soldering a fine-pitched BGA device like a GPU requires precise temperature control (reflow profile) and optical alignment. You can't just heat it up to 350C and cool it down and expect it to work.

interestiong point of view, i have never tried baking a gpu and dont plan on, yet many people have posted saying that it has worked for them so i guess its just a gamble that some people are willing to take.

Thermal cycling a GPU can indeed fix (or at least change) things, but definitely not to the solder melting temperature.

I have done it exactly twice with a peltier temperature controller, and from my experience, if you have a flaky GPU, heating it up to 120C, wait a few minutes, then cool it back down, sometimes they will start working again. In both cases, though, the GPU failed again within 24 hours.

i see so the possiblitys of it working long term are slim, but to the lucky few who have saved themselves abit of cash for few more month's may back the idea, but as iv said before i havent tried it and dont plan on, iv replaced the one that i thought was dead anyway (which turns out it wasnt dead and is running in one of my lesser rigs now lol)
but to have the information is always nice thanks for your time :)

Back