• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions regarding my folding/gaming rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Guys, I have a few doubts...My cpu has arrived and I still lack the rest of the rig basically :p
I have an I7 2600k, and no cooler whatsoever, that's all.

-Memory-wise I'm not sure of what would be best for ppd: I can get a cheap 2x4gb Mushkin Silverline 1333mhz cl9 kit, or a bit more expensive -but cheap too- Patriot Viper 1866 2x4gb kit cl9 also. Suggestions?

-Motherboard...hmmm I was thinking on getting an Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 gen3 for future compatibility with pci-e 3.0 and Ivy cpus, plus it offers good bang/buck ratio, I think. What do you think?

-PSU...this should be one of my priorities as it'll be on most of the time. I'm thinking of getting a good, reliable 550-650w unit. Would you say the Antec VPBasiq series is good? Or this Gygabyte 500w psu?
Again suggestions are welcome.

-Cooling: I was thinking on buying a Venomous X I found for dirt cheap -I'll run stock clocks on passive cooling for a couple of days once I get the mobo/ram/psu (then buy some good dual fans and overclock)

-GPU: I'm not sure if folding with the gpu would be worth it with a 2600k chip...what do you think? Also, most likely I'll get a 7950/70 card when the time comes and I upgrade my crt 15" monitor to a 22" LCD @ 1080p

So, to sum it up, I'll be running stock clocks for a while, and onboard igpu too, at 1024x768 or similar for a month or two, whilst doing my SMP folding.

What do you think?

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
If you don't have the itch for playing BF3 at high resolution, I'd say it is a wise choice.

In a couple of month, plenty of new GPU's will hit the market, from Kepler to 7XXX low/mid range cards.

Memory makes a bit difference in FAH. My 2600Ks run with 2133 CL9 or CL7 ram. Speed amkes a lot more difference than latency. GSkill is my current ram of choice.

The ASRock board should be fine.

I'd looK at corsair PSUs. I have a junk pile of PSUs. It contains mostly Antecs. Ive never had a Corsair fail.

Thermalright makes good stuff, so the Venomous X should work well. I don't know what dirt cheap means, but bang for the buck, the Cooler Master H 212+ is hard to beat.

If you want to fold on your GPU, avoid AMD gpus. I don't run gpus on my 2600Ks.

I think I won't fold on my gpu, it seems to be poor for kwh/ppd ratio.
I'll try to find a Corsair psu, I'm tight on funds at the moment.
Also, I thought of getting an AMD gpu, first because of the reviews the 7970 got, and second because of Bitcoin :p -Perhaps I'll take a shot at that-
I chose that VenX at 60usd shipped instead of the Hyper 212 evo/+ because in Buenos Aires the VenX costs 120usd, and the cm hyper 212+/evo is around 50usd...and adding a couple of fans would cost me 10 bucks.
So, you reccomend the Patriot 1866 kit? I'd rather get a 2133 gskill kit, I don't care bout latencies either...it's not an AMD rig after all :p
Am I on the right track then? Got your blessing guys?

If you don't have the itch for playing BF3 at high resolution, I'd say it is a wise choice.

In a couple of month, plenty of new GPU's will hit the market, from Kepler to 7XXX low/mid range cards.

I'll do some gaming but at 1280x960 or so...till I save for the monitor and discrete gpu.

It may be interesting to wait and check the different new nvidia and amd cards...I normally prefer Nvidia, since 3dfx died :p and hating Nvidia for a couple of years -till I got my geforce2 and could finally run Soldier of Fortune 2 and Mount & Blade with good fps on my PIII 600b/VC820 mobo with rimm memory... That replaced my good ole voodoo3 3500agp which was killer since the year 2000.
Enough rant for the day :D

Also funny to note...my CRT lost it's base during its life-span. So now it stands on two woodblocks! It'll be the creepiest and more ghettoish 2600k rig on Earth :p -till I get a monitor, a full-tower case and/or I build an acrylic cube/case/thingy-
I'll post some pictures when I get the thing up and running...in all its stages.
Also, I'll be buying a Corsair sata2 64gb ssd -idilinx controller- and a 500gb hdd -almost forgot...you thought I was about to run Linux on a ramdisk!? :D-

Also funny to note...my CRT lost it's base during its life-span. So now it stands on two woodblocks! It'll be the creepiest and more ghettoish 2600k rig on Earth :p -till I get a monitor, a full-tower case and/or I build an acrylic cube/case/thingy-
I'll post some pictures when I get the thing up and running...in all its stages.
Also, I'll be buying a Corsair sata2 64gb ssd -idilinx controller- and a 500gb hdd -almost forgot...you thought I was about to run Linux on a ramdisk!? :D-

Ghetto? Look at this one :rofl:

Attachments

• DSC00644.JPG
    DSC00644.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 124
Ghetto? Look at this one :rofl:

Man, that's actually quite nice in a obscene way xD
My current case has tons of star wars stickers, 80mm sunon maglev fans, some cardboard ducts and hand-cut-ripped apart fan grills :p with all and rough vein cutting edges xD
Oh, and it has a top handle for lan parties :D
It used to house my sold 4ghz 24/7 prescott 478 rig, paired with a 6200agp card xD

Please, please, you've got a photo to post, right? I haven't seen it but I like it already!

I'll post some now... :popcorn:

Here you go! :attn:
You'll have a good laugh...

Here you can see my Core I7 inside pet rat: Coffee, my mutant case, my sunon fan and titan blower that used to cool my hard drive and 6200 agp card and my Hynix golden ram that did ddr500 on stock volts :thup:, my I7 chip, my freaky CRT monitor and a home-made mosfet sink that used to be attached to my p4p800-e dlx vrm. :screwy:

:salute:

ps: pics were taken with my Moto Q so don't expect sharpness...

Attachments

• img795.jpg
    img795.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 119
  • img794.jpg
    img794.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 121
  • img792.jpg
    img792.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 126
  • img789.jpg
    img789.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 118
  • img790.jpg
    img790.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 121
  • img787.jpg
    img787.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 121
  • img788.jpg
    img788.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 118
  • img791.jpg
    img791.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That's my pet rat Coffee...I also have a chinchilla, two guinea pigs, a dove I rescued that couldn't fly and didn't know how to it by itself yet, a dog which is half pointer half mutt and a turtledove. And also a girl who lives with here with me -people call her my wife- xD

An interesting household. Two questions:

Did the dove ever learn to fly?

How's the noise from that blower?

I took the dove out of its cage for a fly and now he's starting to gain height, much better...I've had him for a week now. I'll free him in a few days I guess, it'll be hard, he's such a nice feathered guy :p
The blower is not noisy at all...only a woosh of air. I once tried to attach it to blow air onto the center of my XP-90 and it did a GREAT job, cooling the same as a 92mm panaflo with only 20cfm, against 80cfm or something.
I never got my Hoot chute style blower, but I wanted one so bad back then xD

I have to go to the bank and get a loan or something, otherwise I'll have to wait till the 28th to buy the rest of the rig...and also I have to pay the rent today!
But well...I got the cash for that already.

There's a question for ya. How come we use so many fans, and so few blowers, in our cases?

So many are feeling the big pinch in this economy! :(

There's a question for ya. How come we use so many fans, and so few blowers, in our cases?

So many are feeling the big pinch in this economy! :(

I feel the same too...blowers are MUCH more effective to move air accross obstacles/heatsinks/air filters and less noisy whilst doing so, cause of the "directed" airflow vs the more turbulent airflow fans produce.

Actually,I've just reseated my father-in-law's P4 640 heatsink and re-applied thermal paste cause his cpu was reaching 75ºC and throttling/restarting.
That lowered his temps during prime95 blend test to 55ºC max -mild oc = 210mhz fsb-
Then I added the blower as a second case exhaust fan, right below the mosfets -over the agp slot- and the cpu temp lowered to 50ºC... :bday:
:popcorn:
So he now has a negative pressure case with air coming in through the open pci slots, cause the side panels have no holes whatsoever.

Great rat rig Ivan, literally and figuratively :thup:

I'd seen those blowers and considered buying one (or four) but heard they were loud so didn't. Yours is pretty quiet?

Back