• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIZIO or Samsung?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

not sure if i should have put this in video display section but since its not PC related ill post it here

anyways looking to get a new tv. probably going to be a 47" LED

Looking at either a vizio or samsung. the samsung is $300 more than the vizio. the vizio is also 240hz over the 120hz of the samsung.

just checking to see what kind of experience you guys have had with either. is it worth the risk of saving the $300 to buy the vizio or should i just pony up and drop the cash on the samsung?

Knock on wood, but I bought the 60hz 37" 720p LCD from Vizio when it was new and the only issue I have had is the integrated tuner went out so I needed to purchase an antenna.

Samsung every time. No doubts.

And that 240 htz (and 120 too) is marketing BS, when was the last time you saw a film with 240/120 frames per second? Even slow-motion cameras target 24 fps for playback, as does IMax.
Maybe used as an HTPC that's gamed on, 120 might be nice to have to stop blur, but there's no video card that does 240 that I'm aware of.

**correction, it seems sli'd gtx 580's can...with a couple games.

Last edited:
I also have Vizio, got a 32" on sale almost 2 years ago for $250 when similar models were still in the $400 range.

Ignore the 120 and 240Hz if you're not going to hook it to a PC, the source video in USA is always 30 or upscaled 24 FPs. You're just watching more of the same frames than on a pain 60Hz.

I'd also add, the "smooth" motion 120Hz is just smoke up your @$$. There is a reason all the demo display aren't showing cartoon. They look great with some shows like sporting events but some shows and movies actually gets much worse with "enhanced 120Hz smooth motion" Try watching cartoon (Disney movies for example) and you'll get a headache in no time when the TV keeps switching between 120Hz smooth and choppy, slower fps animated.

I have 2 Vizio TVs for a few years now....no issues. Great quality at a great price. I like Samsung too, but you have to pay for it.

I got a Samsung 55" LED w/ all the Internet apps, wireless, etc for around $1100+tax on sale. That being said, the quality is amazing and I can't complain about the price either. I was originally looking at Vizio's but every single time I put one side-by-side to the Samsung, the Samsung stood on it's own. It was a decision I would have to be alright with several years down the road, and I decided on Samsung. I would do it again in a second.

I've always had the impression VIZIO is an economy tv where Samsung is one of the top end. Is that wrong?

Vizio is more in the middle. If you want cheap crap, look at something like Emerson or when Polaroid was making TVs.

Dynex. There's the lowest of the low end.
The ones I saw at Best Buy couldn't hold a picture if you taped it to the screen.

I'm not sold on Vizio's quality. I've known several people to buy them and have them not last long out of warranty.

As far as the 120hz vs 240hz thing, maybe it's me but 240hz looks funny and kind of hurts my eyes.

Ever think about a Plasma? They're a good bit cheaper than LCD and have a 600hz refresh rate. No ghosting. They do have "image retention" which is not burn-in because it goes away. For example, if I play Madden for a long time then the scoreboard will look "burned in" but if I watch a TV show for just a minute, it's gone.

Samsung has better products but a horrible reputation for service.
As long your gizmo works, fine. If something fails, good luck.
I once considered a Samsung monitor but didn't buy it after reading several service horror stories.

thanks guys. yeah i have thought about a plasma, but the living room it is going in is pretty bright so im afraid the plasma will get washed out with the light.

thing im going to try the vizio given im moving into a new house and could use the save 400 on something else. I havent heard of anything bad about vizios from people i know personally.

ill report back after i get a chance to test it out.

Vizio and samsung are both good. Samsung is considered a top tier manufacturer and their warranty covers quite a bit more than vizio. Vizio is still considered a tier 3 manufacturer due to the fact that they typically use older, lower quality panels to lower their price. Their warranty is almost useless as they require you to ship the tv back to them in the original packaging or will charge you for a shipping box. Samsung doesn't do that and has authorized repair centers almost everywhere. They foot the bill unless it isn't covered which is just about everything. Both of them offer a year warranty which isn't all that long.

Having said all that Vizio is a fantastic budget TV. You get what you pay for with them, but you actually get a decent TV. I wish they still made plasma's as they were a fantastic price back in the day.

All in all if you don't have any issues with the product and you are happy with it don't worry about it.

I have had a 26 inch led vizio for three years and i just bought a 42 inch led vizio and both are working and looking great. But for the record samsungs did look slightly better but they were also about 2-300 more for the same size and options.

I have had a 26 inch led vizio for three years and i just bought a 42 inch led vizio and both are working and looking great. But for the record samsungs did look slightly better but they were also about 2-300 more for the same size and options.

Which can get you additional equipment or an entertainment center to put it on. Or additional warranty coverage. (ranging from $65-$99 for a 42'' at least) ;)

well...slight change in plans...

went to two different walmarts and a target and none of them had the 47" vizio in stock.

ended up walking out of walmart with a 46" led samsung smart tv. for 1k.

i had to have a tv today because the directv guy was coming out to the new house and since they have to have a tv to do the instal i had to get something today.

ill keep my eye out for the vizio and if I can find one i may take samsung back just to save the money...but i may just keep it, it does look nice even though it is just sitting on the floor of my living room with nothing else in the room lol

I agree with what people are saying above. You get what you pay for. You pay more and though Samsung service may be horrible, I'd rather pay more for a product that is less likely to fail me. It's similar to how I feel about Mac vs. PC. Obviously a PC works okay too, but I'd rather spend a little more on the Mac just to get that little something extra special.

I have 6 Vizio TV's and love them all I got two of them refurbished for spare bedroom and kids playroom and no problem with them either.
My whole family owned them, just off the top of my head I would guess a total of 19 or more Vizios in our family and no problems At All!
I do like Samsung they were my first choice until my friend took me to see Vizio at Costco side by side and the both pictures were great! But you get more bang for your buck with Vizio and they do make a great TV. But the choice is yours they both are great TV's.
I just hate when people trash a product that just because they don't know anything about it. Every brand has to start somewhere and over the years Vizio has moved up the ranks for good reason.

not sure if i should have put this in video display section but since its not PC related ill post it here

anyways looking to get a new tv. probably going to be a 47" LED

Looking at either a vizio or samsung. the samsung is $300 more than the vizio. the vizio is also 240hz over the 120hz of the samsung.

just checking to see what kind of experience you guys have had with either. is it worth the risk of saving the $300 to buy the vizio or should i just pony up and drop the cash on the samsung?

Myself, when considering a TV flat screen, I always go with Sony, and have for over 30 years now, and have been very satisfied with the quality and longevity. I realized this years ago when I discovered that most (if not all) TV studios use Sony equipment, which to me speaks volumes on quality and reliability. Next in line would be Panasonic, since many of their components are the same as Sony. However, I'm not saying Samsung is not a good product because it is being the fact it is made in Korea, as are all IPS panels for computer displays. Vizio has a very nice picture and great HDMI interface, but I'm just not so sure how long they will last compared to a Samsung.
The thing is, you will pay for a Sony, but I bought mine at Sam's Club back in 2007, and seems to still be going strong. I usually end up upgrading every 10 years and sell the old one.

Back