• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K and Hyper 212+ -- high temperatures without overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wahoo

Hi all,

I've had my i5-2500K on an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard running for a few days now. I'm seeing high core temperatures in Core Temp at idle (45C) and at high load during a Prime 95 Torture Test (77 C). Also, one core temperature seems to run a bit higher than the others.

Idle Temps
Prime95 Temps

I applied Arctic Silver to the heatsink only, a very thin coat that covered the entire surface. I wonder if I should have applied a similar coat to the CPU (I've read this is bad so I didn't do it).

The fan is not entirely square on the heatsink. I had to slid it up about 3/4" to make room for the RAM (16 GB -- all slots taken). I only have the stock fan attached.

Are these temps anything to worry about? I have not overclocked at this point -- everything is on default settings. I have been reading other posts on here and it seems like my temperatures are significantly higher than others who are overclocking.

I would be grateful for any help and advice.

Thanks!

That's quite high for stock. Apply the paste to the CPU itself, not the heatsink. As far as your fan placement, that will make a small difference I would assume.

I reapplied the paste to the cpu. When I took off the heatsink, I noticed that it only made contact at the top and bottom of the cpu (two stripes of paste). I put the paste on a little thicker than I usually do -- I usually only have the thinnest of layers on there, just enough to lightly paint the contact.

It made a difference. My high temp on one core is now 64C. I still think it's a little high but it's better than before.

Prime 95 temperatures

Should I be alarmed? Perhaps the heatsink needs lapping? Or, should I return it?

Those temps are very high for stock speed and an aftermarket cooler. I have a similar one on my OCed CPU. You might want to re-seat the the CPU cooler. If you are having space issues with the fan (I had the same problem) you could mount the fan in the wrong direction with airflow in the opposite direction. I did that for a while before I got a thinner fan and my temps were fine. At 4.5 I was getting 38c at idle and 65c at 100% I recently bought 2 thinner fans and have them mounted on both sides.
Also make sure that the mount is tight enough if it is too loose it might not have enough contact to keep the temps down.

Another note you are overclocking it at 3.7 the stock frequency is 3.3GHZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

You could also manually turn the fan speed up in the BIOS.

My temps on my 2500K @ 4.5 with the 212 EVO:

Attachments

• CoreTemp-Scr.png
    CoreTemp-Scr.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,095
Last edited:
Also make sure that the mount is tight enough if it is too loose it might not have enough contact to keep the temps down.

The mount does not seem very tight at all. If I slightly bump the heatsink with my finger, it rotates. I'm not sure how to remedy the situation. The screws only get so tight.

As I said before, at first, I applied a very thin layer of paste on the heatsink. When I removed it to reseat it again, there were only two small parallel stripes of paste on opposite edges of the CPU. I have a feeling that the bottom of the heat sink is concave.

Do you think this warrants a return to NewEgg? Is it possible that the X-shaped upper mounting bracket is bent?

I know that this is a stupid question but you did put the mount on the back of the Mobo, right. If you dont the screws are too long.

No, that's a good question. I did put the rear bracket on. :)

The looseness just seems wrong. I followed the instructions and watched the various YouTube videos. The front bracket fits into the hole on the heatsink, the screws seem to be making things tighter. When finished, the heatsink rotates with not much resistance.

Yeah that sounds right. I went crazy with the thermal paste so my would be tighter and stick better but I do remember I was having issues with that. I remember being surprised how loose a heat sink that big and heavy is. I coated it and spread it out with an old credit card. there is a lot on there but it works good and keeps the temp down.

When I mentioned that the front bracket might be bent, it's possible that I might have screwed in the bracket with the center peg (that fits the hole in the heatsink) misaligned on the first try. I reseated this CPU a couple of times and I remember it was harder to connect in the beginning than it was a few hours ago.

Tomorrow, I'm going to take a look at that mounting bracket and check to see if it's bent. If it is, I might be able to fix it in the bench vise.

Thanks for your help, fcomstoc and Deltafan909. I'll fill you in tomorrow. :)

I'll add a comment and a question. My system, I noticed, is somewhat like the OP's. And, just like his it seems my 2 center cores are somewhat hotter than the rest. Could this be because we mounted the heat sink with the fan pointing out the back of the case as opposed to mounting it with the fan facing up. This would suggest that with the layout of the CPU package the heat pipes are running along the chip instead of across. This may not matter and from what i read no one is having issues with the 2 warmer cores, but I thought I would ask.

As far as the OP, I would suggest putting on the back plate. Also that mounting "X" is adjustable. The screws with the springs are adjustable. Might take a little to get the right combo but it will mount tight and solid. It shouldn't ever move or be loose.

Z

As far as the OP, I would suggest putting on the back plate. Also that mounting "X" is adjustable. The screws with the springs are adjustable. Might take a little to get the right combo but it will mount tight and solid. It shouldn't ever move or be loose.

I've had the back plate on the whole time. :) I just took the front bracket off again and looked at it. I don't see much that can be adjusted, other than the type of CPU. It screws down fine but I still have movement. My temperatures didn't change. :(

I really think that in my case there is concavity in the bottom of the heatsink. Earlier, I had applied a very thin coat to the heatsink, and none to the CPU. When I lifted the heatsink, the entire middle of the CPU was untouched by thermal paste. I don't think that I could flex the middle of the heatsink to touch the CPU with the front bracket.

I ordered a Hyper 212 EVO and I plan to send the Hyper 212+ back. Hopefully, it was just a glitch and I'll see some improvement in the EVO.

I might also try applying more thermal paste if there is none viable on the cpu you might not be applying enough.

What helped me achieve better temps with that heatsink was applying a very thin line of thermal compound on each of the 4 heatpipes instead of a dot in the center or spreading it out. Here is the quote from the thread I created:

I've found that with HDT style bases such as on the Hyper 212+, I've had best results by running a very thin line of TIM down each heatpipe instead of the dot method. On the outer 2 heatpipes, make sure the TIM line hugs the inside edge of those 2 heatpipes, in order to get best contact too, since they will overhang the outside of the IHS a bit even on an AMD proc. Give it a try and you should see a good 3-5 C drop in temps; I did at least.

I am running AMD but this may help you too.

I am not sure that this is the right way (actually I am pretty sure that it is not) but when I got my heatsync it said to put a good amount on both and spread it out with a credit card until there is a very thin layer. Whether that is the right way or not it worked great for me.

midlight21 and fcomstoc,

I just got the Hyper 212 EVO a few hours ago and of course dropped everything to install it. I love it when packages arrive!

Well, I put a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 on both the cpu and the heatsink, trying not to have a super thin layer.

My temperatures are in the attachment. They are very similar to what I had before, almost exactly the same. :-/ I refuse to get frustrated. I am in WTF mode. :)

I'll break out the isopropyl alcohol tomorrow and this time, I'm gonna put on four thin lines of the paste like midlight21 says and fcomstoc has been telling me for the last couple of days. If things don't change after that, I'll find something to punch.

Maybe some poor sod will find this on a Google search and he'll save some time.

It appears that the Hyper 212+ is fine but it's going back anyway. I still don't like that whole concave surface business. This is my first experience with a direct contact heat pipe heatsink. I've always just put on a super thin layer of paste on the cpu and I was golden. I just have to update my strategy and get with the program!

Stay tuned for future installments. I hope to straighten this out in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• Hyper 212 EVO 5 minutes of Prime 95 - round 1.png
    Hyper 212 EVO 5 minutes of Prime 95 - round 1.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,986
Well, I put on a thick layer of paste and got the same results so maybe it has something to do with my processor itself. Who knows. Anyway, I wasn't looking to do a super overclock to begin with. I still have a little room if I want to push things further.

Attached is the screenshot with Prime 95 running for about 10 minutes.

Thanks for everyone's input! I don't really feel like attacking this anymore right now -- I just about used up all of my Arctic Silver 5. :p

Attachments

• Hyper 212 EVO excess paste - 10 minutes Prime 95 - round 2.png
    Hyper 212 EVO excess paste - 10 minutes Prime 95 - round 2.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,953
Hi wahoo.:)

First of all, the hot core you see on your 2500k; I see the same thing on all 3 SB procs I own (1-2500k and 2-2600k procs). So don't be concerned that 1 core is significantly hotter than the others. As far as temps go, all 3 of mine are under water so I really can't relate them to what you are seeing with your 212 EVO.

If you are going to return the Evo, I would suggest getting a Thermalright True Spirit 140 as a replacement. It's a hell of a performer for the price; right up there with the best of them.

Those temps are very high for stock speed and an aftermarket cooler. I have a similar one on my OCed CPU. You might want to re-seat the the CPU cooler. If you are having space issues with the fan (I had the same problem) you could mount the fan in the wrong direction with airflow in the opposite direction. I did that for a while before I got a thinner fan and my temps were fine. At 4.5 I was getting 38c at idle and 65c at 100% I recently bought 2 thinner fans and have them mounted on both sides.

Another note you are overclocking it at 3.7 the stock frequency is 3.3GHZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

You could also manually turn the fan speed up in the BIOS.

My temps on my 2500K @ 4.5 with the 212 EVO:

Hi. I have a 2600K with 212 EVO, and your idle temps at 4.5Ghz are much lower than mines at stock frecuency (around 40~42C). When cpu is not in use it downclock to 16x, and there temps are more like yours.

1. What can I do for get more lower temps?
2. What is your ambient temp? (with/without AC)

Attachments

• coretemp.png
    coretemp.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,931
Back