• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else have problems with Road Runner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker76

It seems like everyday at around 5AM - 7AM I get the 56k effect on my Road Runner Cable. It take FOREVER for pages to load, and I can't log into Gamespy and a few other apps. About the only thing I can load/log into is MSN, AIM and a few web pages. Anything that has alot of pics, etc. is a no-no. Anyone else have this problem?

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Now I can't Download ANYTHING for some reason. Web pages and everyhting else loads/runs fine. But everytime I try to DL something, the File Download box just sits there and does nothing. I ran a bandwith test and my speed was 947.5 kbps. What the hell is wrong? Can anyone help me? Please ... I'm going to snap!

I've heard that the RR service is pretty *** in and of itself. Too many people on too few lines.

5am to 7am eh? Well, thats about the times people wake up (work, school etc) and fire up their computers to get the latest stock quotes/email/news etc. That's pro'lly where your problem is comming from.

that would be my guess as well. Those times are generally high volume times. Nothing you can do except maybe complain to your privider about itand maybe if enough people complain they will put another main trunk in, but I doubt it. Your other option is DSL.

Oni said:
I've heard that the RR service is pretty *** in and of itself.

Not underminning you Oni, but I think there are way to many factors involved in RR or any type of broadband service geographically, to say that the service as a whole is no good! Totally depends on where you are and how many people live where you live. How many people on your segment, what the segment consists of, etc.

I'm in a fairly populated area but never see my down speeds drop below 900kbps. Most of the time, speeds are upwards of 2Mbps. I have been using Road Runner for two years now and have only experienced 1 outage of more than 4 hours. Pretty impressive uptime.

Joker...are you using a hardware or software firewall with your cablemodem? Are you in an area were broadband is new?

I was one of the first to have rr in my town and still only MAYBE got to d/l at about 400kbps and 63kbps u/l

now almost EVERYONE in my town (Bakersfield) has rr and Im lucky to get a d/l of 200kb and u/l of 35kb

I think the tech guy said there are more thin 800 users on one main.

WillysNut

you are lucky you have that speed

Alot of people on RR are seeing some sort of slowdowns at times, it's because of the servers that your routed through, most of them are "AOL" owned servers which are overloaded already, it'll just get worse too as most of the companies who are allowing RR traffic through them won't be upgrading any time soon...

That's why I can't wait for Optimum Online to become available in my area, not only will it knock off $40...yep..you read right..FOURTY bucks off my monthly price, but i'll get triple the speed that i have now,, but hey, i'm not complaining, at least I don't have "Verizon" DSL anymore, ANYTHING but that!

RR was a dream in comparison to the service I get now. This is slow most of the time(5k/sec during peak times, if that), they kick me if I use to much bandwith(couter-strike), and charge 12.50 per computer(x3) on top of the 30 some a month for the service. I hate this company. They came into my house and looked through the rooms from computers on the net, and backcharged without notice(didnt tell us it was 12.50 per computer on activation, just backcharged. Called them and explained the pending lawsuit if they didnt drop the backcharge, It was dropped.) Won't let me use a router for "security purposes." I am going to make a "proxy server with firewall" and tell them only one computer is hooked onto the the internet to save 30 bucks a month. If your going to move to lawrence KS, dont expecta alot from the Cable ISP. Long, hate filled post over.

WillysNut said:

Not underminning you Oni, but I think there are way to many factors involved in RR or any type of broadband service geographically, to say that the service as a whole is no good! Totally depends on where you are and how many people live where you live. How many people on your segment, what the segment consists of, etc.

I'm in a fairly populated area but never see my down speeds drop below 900kbps. Most of the time, speeds are upwards of 2Mbps. I have been using Road Runner for two years now and have only experienced 1 outage of more than 4 hours. Pretty impressive uptime.

Joker...are you using a hardware or software firewall with your cablemodem? Are you in an area were broadband is new?

It's quite alright. I know you wern't undermining me or anything.

Just from what I've heard, the RR service isn't very good. They grew too fast and don't put any new pipes in to support areas where demand meets or excedes supply.

I have road runner. Had it for over a year no major outages and consistant reliable speed has been what I have seen.

I had @Home. And while @Home doesn't exist now we were lucky enough to be able to switch over to another cable server with little incident. Still, at times we have strange outages, and spikes in the transfer rates. I am still happy with it though. I am a patient person. Its hard running such a large company right after @Home goes down and you have it all to do yourself. Its getting much better lately. My computer at work is much better. :)

Back