• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your case on top of your desk or below it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Where do you keep your primary computer in your work space?

• On top of the desk.

Votes: 201 47.1%
  • Below the desk.

Votes: 226 52.9%

• Total voters
I had mines on my desk when i had my cm690, however, i upgraded to a 600T, which is just too big to have sitting on my desk comfortably. So its now on the floor untill i can get a bigger desk. I also found it loud on my desk as my esk is attached to the walls instead of sitting on the floor and all the vibrations from the case just echo'd around the walls, whereas on the floor, the carpet absorbs most of the noise, so i can know run it all night long whereas i couldn't sleep with it on my desk.

I think we can take this into a cultural/sociological effect. those with systems on top of their desk are more techy and need to explain why things are than those that hide their systems.

EDIT EDIT: or have pets and dont like pet hair in their computers :)

Not sure I completely follow this logic. My box is beneath my desk, yet I consider myself fairly 'techy'. Personally I find it easier to reach next to my knee to insert discs than I do up over my head and no cables hanging in front of my face if anything is plugged into the front usb port (ie gaming controller wires aren't draped across my keyboard). It's not about 'hiding' a system, but wires allow me to control my box without having it right in my face. Also have pets, but keep my system clean. If having pets means the inability to have a tower near the floor, perhaps general hygiene and cleaning habits come into play over location. :p

On a side note, I think windowed systems can be attractive when placed on a desk but would be more feasible if the case had a 5.25 bay at the bottom for access to the optical drive. Unfortunately some of the newer cases are adopting built in fan controllers and such on the top of the case, almost making it necessary to place the case on the floor; or else be forced to stand up anytime you wanted to make any adjustment or use the usb/audio ports.

Not sure I completely follow this logic. My box is beneath my desk, yet I consider myself fairly 'techy'. Personally I find it easier to reach next to my knee to insert discs than I do up over my head and no cables hanging in front of my face if anything is plugged into the front usb port (ie gaming controller wires aren't draped across my keyboard). It's not about 'hiding' a system, but wires allow me to control my box without having it right in my face. Also have pets, but keep my system clean. If having pets means the inability to have a tower near the floor, perhaps general hygiene and cleaning habits come into play over location. :p

On a side note, I think windowed systems can be attractive when placed on a desk but would be more feasible if the case had a 5.25 bay at the bottom for access to the optical drive. Unfortunately some of the newer cases are adopting built in fan controllers and such on the top of the case, almost making it necessary to place the case on the floor; or else be forced to stand up anytime you wanted to make any adjustment or use the usb/audio ports.

+1 on the general hygiene and cleaning habits.

When i had my 600T on my desk, i used to have my dvd drive in the lowest slot, which put it just beneath shoulder height, however the fan controller on the top was a bit of a pain to reach (even though I rarely change the setting on it as I keep my fans at min rpm most of the time anyway unless its a really hot day. I have found my case tends to get less dusty on the floor than it did on my desk, that or i just dont notice it as much. However, most modern cases are fitted with at least reasonable dust filters that will keep it out most of the time anyway.

Mine is at the top.. NZXT Source 210 Elite and the old Themaltake Xaser III. Eliminating little dust and taking some warmer air.

Last edited:
Case is on top.
Really helps with dust.
51297c18.jpg

And yeah, I have my optical drives on the bottom.
2efe630b.jpg

If people have such an issue having to move there arms all that far to put a disc in, they could just get an external disc drive and have it sitting on there desk.

If people have such an issue having to move there arms all that far to put a disc in, they could just get an external disc drive and have it sitting on there desk.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a built in drive anymore. I doubt that optical drive reads and writes are faster than USB 2.0 can handle, they look bad on a case, they impede airflow, they waste space that could be better used storing even more 4 TB hard drives. With USB, you can put it wherever you need it, you can easily use one drive with multiple computers, and just i general, how often do you need to deal with optical media? For the average pc user, thats pretty infrequently.

I don't see what's so confusing... To the side of your desk is still below your desk top. So below.

Mine's on top, only because I don't really need the room for anything else... but now that I think of it I may move it to the floor and put a laptop in it's place.

Benefits of top of desk: Privacy divider in some cases like a computer lab, closer reach to power button, admire your custom work, plugging things into the back

Under: More space, quieter, easier acess to CDROM drive, easier acess to top IO if your case has it...

On top. In my late 50s, I don't like crawling under my desk too much. Much easier to access on top. Also less likelihood of floor dwelling dust bunnies jumping in.

I don't understand why anyone would buy a built in drive anymore. I doubt that optical drive reads and writes are faster than USB 2.0 can handle, they look bad on a case, they impede airflow, they waste space that could be better used storing even more 4 TB hard drives. With USB, you can put it wherever you need it, you can easily use one drive with multiple computers, and just i general, how often do you need to deal with optical media? For the average pc user, thats pretty infrequently.

I actually do think that sata is faster than usb2.0?

I actually do think that sata is faster than usb2.0?

I think what he is referring to. Is that the theoretical limits of the drives themselves. (BluRay read only will get towards 54MB/s.) Which is well below USB2.0's theoretical 60MB/s. Has plenty of headroom for using USB opticals, instead internal connections.

Myself, I don't want more wires to contend with..

Last edited:
He was saying that a disk drive doesn't output faster than a USB 2.0 port can handle, not that SATA is slower than USB 2.0.

Oh yes:facepalm:, I just realised what he meant :L The drive read speeds ect are limited more by the drive than the connection.

I think what he is referring to. Is that the theoretical limits of the drives themselves. (BluRay read only will get towards 54MB/s.) Which is well below USB2.0's theoretical 60MB/s. Has plenty of headroom for using USB opticals, instead internal connections.

Myself, I don't want more wires to contend with..

I wish I could put mine on the floor. My newest rig is huge at 27"Wx18"Hx18"D and tipping over 50 lbs finished it'd be a pain to work on it on the desk but I got cats. The thick radiators would get clogged in a hurry on the floor.

Actually matted cat hair makes a good pre-filter screen for the finer dust/lint. Just reach over to the intake vent screens and swipe off a nice wad of dirt once a week and there's less of it inside. :D

Back