• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is your case on top of your desk or below it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Where do you keep your primary computer in your work space?

• On top of the desk.

Votes: 201 47.1%
  • Below the desk.

Votes: 226 52.9%

• Total voters
Wish mine was on top so I can see my beautiful watercooling but my dad swears I will get cancer from the UV lights...

Dont ask.

I think the general idea of the poll is to see whether people have their PCs above or below a certain height, like "waist level".
Exactly, although "equal height with the monitor" might be a better description.
I don't have a case, except for my HTPC, which is in my entertainment console. :)
Well then you don't get a vote, do you?! SECURITY!!!!!!

My last one was under my desk. My new one is on top of my desk. The old one never moved. I just loaded a copy of ESXi on it so it could continue to keep my feet warm :)

Underneath, I don't like the way I have to position it when I put it up top.

Mine is on top of my entertainment center, below my television.
My "desk" is buried under a mass of various project flotsam. :)

I also forgot to mention, my PS2 is on my desk and holy **** it's loud. Like, my PS2 at idle is as loud as my 4890 is at 75% fan speed. And that's loud.

Last edited:
Under the desk right now but I'm building a new desk in what has become a spare bedroom that is 10' and goes along an entire wall. Once that is finished it'll be on top.

Mine is on the floor...fairly far from where I sit (using a DVI-D extension). It's a quiet build, but even quieter when it is not right next to me. :)

We don't have pets and the house is pretty dust-free given that my wife has dust allergies...so I'd rather not have the desk space taken up or have the fans at ear level. Even with minimal dust, it probably does take in more at the floor level than on a desk, but I am fairly good about blowing things out regularly...and it's worth it not to hear it.

We also have hardwood floors, so that helps the PSU breath. If we had carpet, I'd need to set it on something I suppose.

... Will my answer impact my credit score ?
These days? Highly likely. heh

Mine's under my desk to the right, sitting atop an old AST desktop case to lift it a few inches off the floor. Unfortunately, I think my ViewSonic p220f (approx. 70-75lbs) is about all my desk can handle. :eek:

My HAF 922 is under my desk, however, I did buy a plastic "Roller thingy" from amazon that it sits on. Easy to pull in and out, plus it gets it off the carpet to ensure airflow to the PSU and bottom vent.

No option for both so I voted on top.

EDIT: interesting that the thread is largely on top, but more votes are for below.

I think we can take this into a cultural/sociological effect. those with systems on top of their desk are more techy and need to explain why things are than those that hide their systems.

EDIT EDIT: or have pets and dont like pet hair in their computers :)

Last edited:
Ideally, I wish my case was on top of my desk, behind the monitor, turned sideways. All the 5.25" and 3.5" bay openings would be on what used to be the left side. An 8" wide door would open to expose all the HDD's and optical drives. A window would show off the hardware. Slide the monitor over a foot to work on your hardware.

Back