• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the Corsair HX750 be Enough for My Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXcalibur

I'm building a new system with the following parts. I thought it would be enough at first, but I forgot the GPU is factor-OCed by quite a bit, so I'm not really sure anymore =x

PSU: Corsair HX-750
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA1155
CPU: Intel i5 2500k (I plan to OC this to 4.5GHz+
Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2x4G ddr3 1600
GPU: 2x MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk in SLI
HDD: 1x samsung spinpoint F3 1tb, 2x WD Raptor WD740ADFD 74gb
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1

Ventilation shouldn't be a concern to me since I'll get getting the HAF 932 Advance, but I'm just worried that my PSU wouldn't be enough for this system.

Much thanks!

Lol; yes. it'll be fine. 2 GTX 560 Ti's won't break 350W combined.. 400W maybe OC'd. A 2500K even OC'd won't break 120W. It's more than enough.

Though; for the price... You can buy better PSUs now.. The HX is a solid PSU; but it's based on an older seasonic platform. (Not saying its bad, but for the price you can get another that's just as good or better).

DH D14 is a bit overkill but to each their own.

If you haven't bought the HDD's yet, get a single 128GB ish SSD instead of the raptors.. Trust me it'll be far faster (Crucial M4 or Intel SSD).

I hate that Case choice btw :p. HAF cases.. Ugh.

Consider an Asrock Extreme 3 Z68 or extreme 4 instead of your motherboard.. P67 is sorta dated now.. Though it's still usable for sure; Z68 (gen 3 specifically) allows you to upgrade later on with an Ivy Bridge chip, etc etc. Or consider a Gigabyte UD3H/UD3R.

I bought the raptors 2 years ago, and the spin point last year, so I don't think I'll be purchasing any additional storage soon =S

I don't see why people would buy a more expensive board to save room for future upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it uses the same socket. Given that I'll be OC-ing my 2500k, the difference shouldn't really be that great. Imo, I only consider it to be an upgrade when it changes socket types. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for the input though, it made me less anxious =) But sadly, I've placed orders on all those parts already >.> I buy Corsair's PSU mainly for its warranty. This system was an upgrade from an e8400 system I built 2 years ago, and Corsair's PSU was pretty rock solid. =x

I wasn't aware this board was cheaper than This board. Lol. :p

Shame you already bought all the parts.. SSD's weren't affected by the spin point last year. SSD's rip up all conventional HDD's.. It's a hugeeee difference.

I also agree with what Mjolnir says... :)

Consider an Asrock Extreme 3 Z68 or extreme 4 instead of your motherboard.. P67 is sorta dated now.. Though it's still usable for sure; Z68 (gen 3 specifically) allows you to upgrade later on with an Ivy Bridge chip, etc etc. Or consider a Gigabyte UD3H/UD3R.

I don't see why people would buy a more expensive board to save room for future upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it uses the same socket. Given that I'll be OC-ing my 2500k, the difference shouldn't really be that great. Imo, I only consider it to be an upgrade when it changes socket types. Am I missing something here?

Depends how long the socket stays around for. I have an LGA775 board that regularly runs a mixture of P4s from 2.8 GHz up to a C2D 6300. I think Ivy Bridge is a 'tick' rather than a 'tock' so will be a slightly smaller speed bump but will be a process size reduction and therefore potentially more efficient and/or overclockable.

Back