• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Random shutoff? Need help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DR DEUCE

Hey guys. I am having some trouble recently. I will be using my comp and it will randomly reboot. This happens at any time, not just if I'm stressing my system. I have done stability tests and everything seems fine. Could it be the psu? What can it be?

I'm a little out of it these days but Intel used to have a panic code that basically said three errors in a row to panic and reboot. I forget what the command was called. My guess is they still have something like that embedded in the processors. Are you overclocked?

Well if it's panic rebooting it's not stable. Funny I hear that a lot around here. I'm overclocked and its stable but I'm having x problem. Take the overclock out and see if the problem stops.

Not relevant. All stress testing does is run a set of vectors, the vectors may run fine and you have created noise at some other point in the system. It may be running a particular set of instructions fine and another set maybe not even under high load causes it to fall on its face. It's why some people can run Prime95 for 24 hours straight and then the system bombs playing a game or some other stress test. You could be putting noise on a bus that is only present under certain load conditions...a test is just a test, it does not mean you are problem free.

Hey guys. I am having some trouble recently. I will be using my comp and it will randomly reboot. This happens at any time, not just if I'm stressing my system. I have done stability tests and everything seems fine. Could it be the psu? What can it be?

Doc,

Any messages in Event Viewer?

Can you use a DMM and check your molex 12V voltages in your power supply at idle and under stress? (A bad power supply won't leave an Event Viewer message).

Any funny looking capacitors on your motherboard? Everything seated firmly?

I think i might have figured it out. There was a pin in my atx cable that seemed loose due to sleeving. Set it back in place and haven't rebooted. Thanks RT and fx4.

Back