• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG ROG meets Lian Li casemod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update 10/4

Hey guys

I've decided that I'm going to add more to this casemod. I've ordered some new hardware and I will also give watercooling a go :)

I've ordered the following hardware:

Intel Core I7 2700K
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z

Now for my watercooling system I am considering the following:

CPU Cooler:
EK Supreme HF Acetal
02EK125SO.jpg

GFX Cooler and backplate:
EK FC580+ GTX Acetal
EK FC5X0 GTX GW
02EK151-1.jpg

02EK172-1.jpg

Resevoir:
XSPC Laing DDC BayRes One
04XS014XX.jpg

Pump:
Laing DDC 1Plus (18W)
277.jpg

Radiator:
HW-Labs Black Ice GTX 360 - Black
610.jpg

Tubing:
Feser Tube 12,7/9,65mm - 3/8" (10mm) - UV-White
07TF004-1.jpg

Liquid:
PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive 32 oz. - Blood Red
11PC003_800_600.jpg

Fittings:
Bitspower HF - Push On - G¼ - 13/10mm - Matt Black
06BP017-1.jpg

To make room for the radiator, I've decided to remove all of the HDD bays placed at the bottom of the case, keeping only one which I am going to place at the bottom of the 5.25 bay area. I will cut a hole for the radiator at the bottom of the case, using air coming from the bottom of the case, I figured this would be the coldest air available since heat rises upwards.

I'll try making a sketchup of how I want the build to look.

Any suggestions for improvement welcome, like what fans should I use, still keeping the right color scheme :D

Now for the progress:

The first step I've taken is making a plate to hide the pump and radiator to make the system more clean.

The first measurements the plate was cut in were a bit off. It was 3mm too tall, causing the plate to bend when placed in its position. To fix this I took out my Dremel and began cutting down, and I must say this is just another good example why eye protection is a must when working with tools like this.

The cutting blade near like exploded after a couple of minutes work, flying all over the place. Later I noticed something out of the ordinary:

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

Plate Mounted:

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

That's if for now :)

Thanks for looking!

Update 10/4

I've played around with SketchUp from Google, gotta love this program!

An overlook of how the system will be:

1.jpg

New placement for the HDD bay, right under the pump and reservoir:

The heat will increase with a 18W pump and 3 HDD's placed together, so I'm thinking of adding a 120mm fan in front of the HDD's to move some heat away.

2.jpg

New plate for the PSU has to be made, in order to make room for the radiator:

4.jpg

It will look something like this:

3.jpg

The bottom of the case will look like this:

I'm thinking of adding some white LED beneath the case as well that will give the case a white aura :)

5.jpg

Thanks for looking, more updates as soon as I start working :D

Thanks for looking!

Update 16/4

Hi Guys

Time for another update while I wait for my different watercooling parts to arrive :)

I've decided to make a few changes, as well as prepare the case ready for watercooling, minimizing my work when it arrives.

First of all the new hardware that arrived:

Intel Core i7 2700K CPU, and ASUS Maximus V Gene

IMG_2040.jpg

A closer look, me likes :D

IMG_2042.jpg

Dog doesn't really seem to care:

IMG_2051.jpg

First of all I moved the PSU, to make room for the radiator. My first thought was to make a new backplate/PSU holder, but after cutting it out, I didn't like the result, I have taken pictures of it, but I don't really see the point of showing it, when I won't be using it :) I removed the rivets and moved the PSU, then refitting the cover for secondary PSU with new rivets:

IMG_2056.jpg

Before i started the bottom of the case looked like this:

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Now at work today I cut a plexiglas plate (fogetting the measurements I had written down at home :bang head, but luckily I remembered correctly and it fitted nicely)

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

Now my mission was to rearrange the way the harddrive bays where installed, to make room for my radiator:

IMG_2068.jpg

The plate seperating the two "areas" has to go as well, and since it has no real purpose, there isn't a reason for me to cut it, so I decided to remove it completely:

IMG_2069.jpg

Edge protection removed, so far so good:

IMG_2070.jpg

Red foil removed, giving me extra satisfaction that I didn't paint this, and used foil instead :D Very easy to remove:

IMG_2072.jpg

Preparing the move:

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

These have to go:

IMG_2075.jpg

All done:

IMG_2076.jpg

Plexi fits perfectly :D

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

Some more rivets that have to go:

IMG_2080.jpg

All done, looks alot cleaner as well, and the cable management will prove to be much easier without all this extra crap in the case:

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg

This is what I have planned:

IMG_2088.jpg

Rivets mounted:

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

There she is :)

IMG_2094.jpg

All goes into place without any hassle:

IMG_2095.jpg

I then foiled the new plate I am going to install, to cover the holes for cable management, showing off :p

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

While removing the motherboard tray I took a second look at the black cover plate I made to hide the holes I did at the very start of the mod. I've not been completely satisfied with the way it looks. When I did the countersinking for the screws, I used a big metal drill, and it didn't turn out very well, so I bought a tool made for this today, which I'll use instead.

The way it looks now:

IMG_2089.jpg

Not pretty :(

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

New countersinking and foil added :)

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2124.jpg

Everything mounted back into place, cables placed a little bit different, to give it a more clean look:

IMG_2125.jpg

Coverplate back on:

IMG_2128.jpg

Some pics to show the system off :)

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2136.jpg

When the system is off it looks like this:

IMG_2138.jpg

I really love the built in LED's on this motherboard, very sexy :D

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

On she goes:

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

That's if for now, more updates when I get my watercooling parts :)

As always, thanks for looking!

A small update:

Fixed the cable mess I had going, so it looks like this now :)

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

Also received my radiator, giving me reason to cut a hole for it in the side of the case :)

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Preparing for the cut:

IMG_2154.jpg

Cut, filled and holes drilled:

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking :D

Nice radiator! Cables look superb as well. This is quite the enjoyable worklog, thanks for sharing. :D

Nice looking build... well nice is an understatement! Awesome looking build, did you sleeve your cables yourself?

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!! That's some amazing work so far!! I love the theme. On the first page I was scratching my head when you first started, because everything appeared pink. Then I noticed the Red on the Asus mobo looking pink... so I just assumed it was bad photos.

I can't wait to see the end result with your water cooling setup!! Also, your sleeving job is super clean!

I never thought about sleeving my mobo connectors, but now I think I will!! thank you! :)

Nice looking build... well nice is an understatement! Awesome looking build, did you sleeve your cables yourself?

Thank you :D glad you like it, yes I did the sleeving myself, took a lot of time, but I think it's worth the trouble :)

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!! That's some amazing work so far!! I love the theme. On the first page I was scratching my head when you first started, because everything appeared pink. Then I noticed the Red on the Asus mobo looking pink... so I just assumed it was bad photos.

I can't wait to see the end result with your water cooling setup!! Also, your sleeving job is super clean!

I never thought about sleeving my mobo connectors, but now I think I will!! thank you! :)

Yup, when I first started this log, I used my phone as a camera, and the results weren't that pretty unfortunatly :( I got a hold of a better camera though, and now the colors show like they are supposed to :) Glad you like it and great that you'll give sleeving a shot :thup:

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7171178 said:
Like I been saying all along, awesome build. Any ideas on the two grey strips yet?

Thanks mate :D Well as of now I am thinking of leaving them be, but I might try to add some black foil to it, just so see how it looks, will of course post updates when it's due time :)

Back