• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG ROG meets Lian Li casemod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
25/4-12

Now I've been asked why the holes I've drilled for the radiator mounting are as big as they are. Some might have mistaken it to be a mishap, but I did it on purpose :) The reason for this is that I want to use anti vibration o-rings, to reduce the noise it might cause from the side of the case. I just didn't have the time to finish it when I worked on it last.

Just to clarify, here's a smaller update on how it looks now:

The o-rings themselves:

IMG_2182.jpg

Mounted:

IMG_2183.jpg

Close-up:

IMG_2184.jpg

Hope that clears it up for people wondering :)

Thanks for looking!

Me being a dane just like Cown i guess he don't know what else to call them...i know i would have called them o-rings aswell.

PS. Cown i find it funny the two of us being danes and even having very similar dogs...mine's a french bulldog/staffordshire bullterrier mix, black and somewhat brindle just like yours aswell lol
PPS that build of your just keep getting better, i decided on not bothering to mod my case and bought me a new one lol

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7173921 said:
Love it, you're leaving nothing out with this build. Great job!

Thanks mate, more to come very soon :D

Not be be a jackass but those are grommets not O-Rings

Thanks for letting me know, I like learning new things :p

Me being a dane just like Cown i guess he don't know what else to call them...i know i would have called them o-rings aswell.

PS. Cown i find it funny the two of us being danes and even having very similar dogs...mine's a french bulldog/staffordshire bullterrier mix, black and somewhat brindle just like yours aswell lol
PPS that build of your just keep getting better, i decided on not bothering to mod my case and bought me a new one lol

Exactly lol, that's what we call them here anyway.. :)

Haha nice, post a pic if you can (These are the most crazy dogs in existance IMO, funny as hell :D) would love to see it. Haha okay, which case did you get?

Update 28/4

Hi Guys

A little update on some progress :)

First of all, I've added an additional Vertex 3 to my build, boosting the performance a little :) These babies are awesome in RAID!

IMG_2169.jpg

When mounting the radiator, my holes where a bit off, so I had to file a little more to make a perfect fit, unfortunately, my hand slipped with the file, scratching the ROG logo... Now I didn't actually feel any regret by damaging it, because it gave me the opportunity to add a clean window instead, which I have come to like a lot more than the one with the logo, anyone feel the same? :D

IMG_2222.jpg

Some new Golf fans and Silverstone fan filters, which I plan on mounting along with the radiator.

IMG_2187.jpg

I am currently thinking of replacing the fans with a couple of these babies instead, what do you guys think?

11942_0.jpg

Mounted:

IMG_2220.jpg

Now they look a little nude just hanging there, so I've made a frame to cover the fans, materials used for this:

IMG_2195.jpg

Foiled and glued together:

IMG_2214.jpg

New window mounted, as well as fan frame for the radiator fans:

IMG_2223.jpg

Closeup:

IMG_2247.jpg

Reaching the goal soon, I still need to sleeve the SATA power cables for the Vertex 3's, find some black "caps" for the radiator mounting screws (thinking of painting them black if I don't find any) as well as complete my liquid cooling :) Still lacking parts tho, so I'll keep updating as the parts start coming in for installment :)

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

Hope you guys like it and as always, thanks for looking !

Last edited:
Here's a pic for you Cown, she doesnt look much like a french...ears are clearly french tho...shes a bit taller, broader and heavier aswell (16kg and shes only 9 months old), reckon thats the staffordshire bullterrier in her :D

IMG_5405.jpg

New case is a Corsair Carbide 500R White, komplett had them at half price....that kinda made the decision for me whether to mod the old or get a new lol
Managed to get my new and rather thick Coolstream XT240 rad into it aswell without modding....now i just need to figure out how to get the cables sorted as i dont have a modular psu....oh well need to decide where i want to put my pump aswell :shrug:

Nice dog, I can see the resemblance :D The ears and the lips are totally french :D

Sweet case you got there, gonna do a log when you put it all together?

Not gonna do a log as im not modding it, i will ofc post some pics when i get the last couple of issues sorted lol

Must say im very happy with that case looks great without bling bling, 3 step fan controller for the "built in" fans and you can turn light in them on and off, not stuff you cant do without but a nice touch i think, actually i did "mod" something...drive bays werent ment for dual bay res clearly, so i had to apply some brute force to bend some metal to be able to get my dual bay res in lol, oh and i think i might get some plexi for the side instead of the mesh ;)
And i need either a modular psu or get mine modded coz the cables are driving me nuts lol

Looking forward to see more updates of your mod mate :thup:

Must say im very happy with that case looks great without bling bling, 3 step fan controller for the "built in" fans and you can turn light in them on and off, not stuff you cant do without but a nice touch i think, actually i did "mod" something...drive bays werent ment for dual bay res clearly, so i had to apply some brute force to bend some metal to be able to get my dual bay res in lol, oh and i think i might get some plexi for the side instead of the mesh ;)
And i need either a modular psu or get mine modded coz the cables are driving me nuts lol

Looking forward to see more updates of your mod mate :thup:

Nice :D a window is always nice, and fixing the cable mess is a must! It's a real pain to look at when they are all over the place :(

Will post more soon!

Yeah messy cables sucks, didnt bother me much in the old case as everything was kinda cramped in there ....wasnt really any way of making it look good, but i guess i'll have to give modding my psu cabling a try....hell i might turn it into a modular, doesnt look like its all that much work really and i could try sleeving at the same time....never sleeved a cable in my life lol

Yeah messy cables sucks, didnt bother me much in the old case as everything was kinda cramped in there ....wasnt really any way of making it look good, but i guess i'll have to give modding my psu cabling a try....hell i might turn it into a modular, doesnt look like its all that much work really and i could try sleeving at the same time....never sleeved a cable in my life lol

Haha sounds like a good idea :D sleeving isn't that hard, it just takes a hell of a lot of time to do :D

Miniupdate 9/5-12

Hi Guys

Here's a short update on the SATA sleeving.

Wires stripped down and 2 SATA connectors removed:

IMG_2252.jpg

Sleeved:

IMG_2264.jpg

Mounted:

IMG_2265.jpg

Updates on the watercooling project will start tomorrow and continue the weekend over.

I have received almost all parts. 3 packages came today, but I wasn't home, so won't be able to pick them up before tomorrow from the post office.

I've made some new changes to the project, changing the placement of the radiator and hard drives, so that I can avoid having the fans sticking out from the side of the case, but more on that later :)

I am planning on completely finishing the project monday, perhaps sooner. D3 Launches tuesday next week, so I need it all done in time for the game lol :p

Stay tuned and thanks for looking !

A little update on some of the stuff I've received until now:

Fittings:

IMG_2283.jpg

The reason for having fittings from both EK and BP, is because the danish coolerkit.dk and aquatuning.de, where I've ordered my parts from, are both out of stock and wont be able to deliver before the end of the month/beginning of next month. I can't for for that, since I'm on a deadline :p I'll change them out later on, but for now I just need the system up and running :)

IMG_2288.jpg

Radiator mount + grill:

IMG_2301.jpg

Closeup:

IMG_2304.jpg

EK Supreme HF:

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

More pics tomorrow :)

Thanks for looking!

Update 11/5-12

Hey guys

Here's one of the last updates I'll bring to this project log :) I am finally finished with the project. I'll be uploading some more pictures tomorrow where I plan on taking some better ones, showing off the case, but for now here's the last progress update, as well as some final photos. Hope you guys enjoyed it :)

In order to make room for my radiator this has to be removed.

IMG_2325.jpg

Fitting nicely inside now :)

IMG_2327.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

Sidepanel needs to be re-cut:

IMG_2333.jpg

Hole and threads done, still needs some filling though:

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Grill attached:

IMG_2350.jpg

In the meantime, some new parts arrived, Koolance RP-402X2 Reservoir with Laing DDC 1Plus pump, I know I wrote earlier that I was going for the XSPC reservoir, but this just look sooo much cooler!:

IMG_2355.jpg

EK waterblock for GFX:

IMG_2357.jpg

HDD Rack from Lian Li:

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

Need a new hole for the 12+12V powerconnector for the motherboard:

IMG_2366.jpg

All done:

IMG_2375.jpg

HDD Rack is WAAAAY too big, so this will need some adjustments:

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

Front pulled off:

IMG_2382.jpg

A fan fits nicely in between the "shroud" Lian Li made and the grill:

IMG_2388.jpg

Chop chop:

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

Need a couple of new threads for the HDD mounting:

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

Like a glove:

IMG_2411.jpg

Radiator rack mounted as well:

IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Supreme HF installed:

IMG_2434.jpg

Just love these BP fittings! They are the real deal:

IMG_2445.jpg

Girlfriend grinding my balls, I guess I've made a bit of a mess lol :p

IMG_2448.jpg

Daylight's come again, looks a lot better :)

IMG_2460.jpg

Progress until now:

IMG_2463.jpg

GFX got a makeover: EK waterblock along with EK backplate:

IMG_2465.jpg

So shiny :D

IMG_2469.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Mmmmm:

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

Final package arrived, new fans, hose and cooling liquid (Forgot to take a picture of the coolant, but I'm using PrimoChill ICE non-conductive Blood Red):

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2488.jpg

IMG_2493.jpg

All mounted up:

IMG_2497.jpg

Hosing almost done, I've made holes in the cover plate, enabling me to pull the hoses through the plate and down to the radiator, instead of behind the 5.25" bays:

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

Finally coming to an end:

IMG_2506.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

Some quick shots of the end result:

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed it. I'll post some more final pictures tomorrow, when I've got more time :D

As always thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Back