• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-ray backup software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pvt.Dancer

Hey guys,

Iv been searching a little bit but while i search I wanted to get some opinions on ways to start backing up my collection. I was looking at Sly soft's set of programs but they don't do Blu-ray's at this time except anyDVD HD which I'm not sure it would be worth getting along side a program to do the actual backups.

so any ways thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT: Though I did just realize that Any DVD HD rips blu-rays.

Last edited:
I would suggest getting MakeMKV for the rip and Handbrake for the compression. MakeMKV works very good compared to every other program I've ever used to rip DVD/Bluray to disks. Select what you want and hit go. It is just that simple. When I get enough Bluray disks that I need to do another round of reading in, I'm buying the program.

For Handbrake, I can feed in a queue of videos, mash the go button and let it run. For DVDs, I use a "constant quality" of 20 (higher quality) and I get 0.92 gb per movie average (out of 251). For Bluray, I use a "constant quality" of 22 (lesser quality) and I get 3.39 gb per movie average (out of 31). The reason you use lower quality is because the resolution is higher. I don't accept any visible/audible loss in quality and I cannot tell the difference between the original and the compressed.

I would suggest getting MakeMKV for the rip and Handbrake for the compression. MakeMKV works very good compared to every other program I've ever used to rip DVD/Bluray to disks. Select what you want and hit go. It is just that simple. When I get enough Bluray disks that I need to do another round of reading in, I'm buying the program.

For Handbrake, I can feed in a queue of videos, mash the go button and let it run. For DVDs, I use a "constant quality" of 20 (higher quality) and I get 0.92 gb per movie average (out of 251). For Bluray, I use a "constant quality" of 22 (lesser quality) and I get 3.39 gb per movie average (out of 31). The reason you use lower quality is because the resolution is higher. I don't accept any visible/audible loss in quality and I cannot tell the difference between the original and the compressed.

^This.

I'm trying out both of them (any DVD\Make MKV) just to see which one i like better. though Make MKV has me won over so far I like how it works... and the price!

Edit: Though one thing i was thinking about is future updates. How long has Make MKV been around? and are they going to be there for future support if they put in a new encryption to block us from making copies? I know that sly soft has been around for a while but eek the price!

I can't find it for sure, but it looks to be right around when Bluray was released. They have a version history section, but not all of them have dates.

Thideras have you had any issues with stability with hand break? it seems to crash alot for me. it doesn't do it during the compression but when it launches.

I've never had an issue when the program launches. I would delete what you have now and re-download it. If that doesn't work, try the second-newest version.

I have had issues with the Windows version deciding to suddenly stop when rending very large videos. I had to get the nightly release to fix that issue, but this was awhile back. Now, I just use it in Linux and it works perfectly.

I noticed it happens alot after i select the video file which is a .mkv when i select the settings i saved as a preset it freezes every time. ill try a reinstall though i started compressing a video lol ill try a reinstall after this though. Thanks

Back