• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FWIW.

I've played around with Win 8 for most of the day today. And I've been trying to set it up just like my Win 7, lol. With an old fashioned keyboard and mouse it feels no different to Win 7, minus the convenience and familiarity I've come to know with my old Win 7. But I can see it would be a whole different experience with a touch-screen monitor or if it was installed on a tablet pc. I'm going to leave it on the HDD but I doubt I'll be returning to it often. The old fashioned me still loves Win 7.

Installed on my HP 2740p tablet again. Could not do an upgrade, since it required me to remove a driver for the touchscreen before continuning. Had to do a full instead.

Performance seems about the same. Touchscreen is still fast....when it does finally respond. Sometimes it takes a few swipes until it does.

On a tablet Windows 8 makes perfect sense, however for a laptop or desktop not so much.

Everything with the metro ui is designed for touch, which doesnt translate well with the mouse and keyboard.

While I love the looks of this, I hope there is an option to get rid of the Metro UI, and just stick to a classic desktop.

I will also be picking up a tablet with Windows 8 though, because it is beautiful.

On a tablet Windows 8 makes perfect sense, however for a laptop or desktop not so much.

Everything with the metro ui is designed for touch, which doesnt translate well with the mouse and keyboard.

While I love the looks of this, I hope there is an option to get rid of the Metro UI, and just stick to a classic desktop.

I will also be picking up a tablet with Windows 8 though, because it is beautiful.

microsoft thought of that.

bottom left hand corner if you click you get the start menu, top left your recent apps.

you can also pin your desktop and any app together, i'm not sure how to do it, but i saw it in a preview.

I played with it ta couple of hours this morning, and I like it.
I like the new task manager look very much.

Still must dig though...

Well... I wanted to see how this would fare in the world of benching so I downloaded it last night and went about installing it today so I could run some PCMark05 on it and compare with my Win7 results.

The thing hangs at the "Enter Computer Name" every time; it just freezes and I have to do a hard reset. So much for testing then. Back to Win7 for me.

But what difference is it going to offer for normal desktop users? I just don't even see a reason to even think about reinstalling this new OS is it offering better compatibility with multi core CPU's? i just don't see anything except Microsoft getting into the touchscreen market I think there going to use this as a step to the next OS that will have some real improvements and all the features of 8 but we will have to see.

so far not really impressed. though I do want to see how well it will work with tablets when they are making tablets specifically for this OS

So I installed Windows 8 earlier today. Was really easy. Found a nice PowerShell script that installs it onto a VHD in a few minutes from a mounted ISO within Windows 7. So now I'm dual-booting between a install of Windows 7 on an SSD and Windows 8 on a VHD :). Yay for booting to VHD!

Skeptical of Metro, but I will reserve judgement until I can try it on a touchscreen. Desktop side the new Task Manager and Explorer seems nice.

I will not try it again unless there is an easy way to disable Metro. Jumped through hoops to get rid of it. Worthless on a laptop.

its sad when the one thing people think is good is the new look of task manager :D

I personally dont see anything else i like other than task manager but looks aside there are no new features that are beneficial to the average desktop or advanced desk top user

So I installed Windows 8 earlier today. Was really easy. Found a nice PowerShell script that installs it onto a VHD in a few minutes from a mounted ISO within Windows 7. So now I'm dual-booting between a install of Windows 7 on an SSD and Windows 8 on a VHD :). Yay for booting to VHD!

Skeptical of Metro, but I will reserve judgement until I can try it on a touchscreen. Desktop side the new Task Manager and Explorer seems nice.

It's fast when it responds. But it is not as slick as an iPad just yet.

I downloaded/installed this on an SSD a few months ago when it was still a dev preview.
I WAS going to use it for a while, but there weren't any AMD graphics card drivers yet, so I went back to Win 7 the same day lol.

It booted super fast (4 seconds on an SSD), and the new task manager was nice, but I hated the metro-UI.

I don't think I'll install the consumer preview unless you can get rid of the metro ui and have a normal desktop/start button.

Can't really see any improvements over Win 7 when used as a desktop. Hope the final Release version will be different.

PS For those wishing for a normal desktop/Start orb your wish has been granted with Win 7.

Figured my first post should be useful. I went from the Developer to the Consumer Preview and hate the Metro mess. It was a simple registry hack , but M$ removed it completely from the Beta. This should fix that problem
http://lee-soft.com/vistart/
Win 8 is mostly Win 7 with a layer of crap (Metro UI) in the way. I would imagine M$ will make it available in the final build , due to the number of people who hate Metro , but why wait?

I got a question. Someone managed to install it on VMWare Workstation 8?

It asks for the HD driver, it seems. Yet, if I load the ISO with VMware Tools and the driver, it doesn't accepts it.

Last edited:
Back