• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think I'm starting to re-evaluate my opinion of Windows 8 slightly. I've been of the opinion that it will be great on tablets and such. (I have a WP7.5 phone and the UI is the best that I have seen on a phone, no kidding). But on Desktop I thought it was, whilst not a complete disaster, a significant step back. It annoyed me. Chief amongst annoyances was the need to action functionality from the screen edges / corners. I also had some serious concerns about multi-monitor set up and screen-hungry Metro Apps.

I don't know if anyone else has been reading this, but it's seriously well worth a read: very interesting to get the theories and ideas behind a lot of it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/?Redirected=true

Scaling to different screens is an interesting read as is the Multi-monitor one. I'm working my way through some of the others. It's interesting to read some of the stats. 75% of new PC purchases are laptops. The huge majority of programs run on laptops spend their runtime maximised, seldom partially scaled. So maybe there is solid reasoning behind freeing up that extra little bit of screen along the bottom and the window border around the program. Now that I know what the multi-monitor options are actually going to be and how they'll work with Metro, I'm a lot less worried my dual-monitor (likely to be a three monitor set up later this year) Desktop will turned into a exercise in frustration.

But the article on the screen resolutions is really interesting because it touches on how Windows 8's restrictions, conditions and tools make things a whole lot more elegant for software developers.

Basically, reading these articles, I'm a lot more reassured that MS haven't gone completely insane. Which is good because I've really liked Windows 7 (still do) and don't want to have to quit Windows when that expires.

EDIT: I've also just discovered that a chkdisk operation on a disk with 100 million distinct files on it typically drops from taking 6 hours to complete to < 2 seconds. Okay, I don't have 100 million+ files on my system, but even so, I'm going to see a significant drop in the time an operation like this takes. It's basically going to be: "Checking. <blink> <blink> Done". And the volume can be online during repairs. I'm liking Windows 8 more and more.

Last edited:
Then, what copy of 7 Pro are you gonna move to the HTPC?

I've a legit copy on my main rig..... I'd rather like for my HTPC to be legit too. If I can't stand the interface then Windows 8 may go on the HTPC instead, after all, it starts far faster than Win 7. ;)

Poor microsoft ...always gets so much heat... i personally cant wait to hold a intel based microsoft 8 smartphone in my hand ...but until then .. booo on microsoft lol

I must say even if this doesnt turn out to be the best it very well will be a learning process. I remember loading a stack of floppy's .. me, vista not quite my favs but it led to better... who knows this very well could turn out to be the best.

I suspect I'll end up with Windows 8 on the HTPC simply for boot times. The Metro interface really is horrible, however that doesn't matter so much when XBMC is the main interface being used ;)

Can someone give me the TLDR version of Win8? the only stuff I've seen about it seems to revolve around this metro interface. Is Win8 really a replacement of Win7?

Can someone give me the TLDR version of Win8? the only stuff I've seen about it seems to revolve around this metro interface. Is Win8 really a replacement of Win7?

TLDR version:

You ask if Win8 is a replacement for Win7. Yes it is and new PCs will typically come with Win8 instead of Win7. But Win7 will be available for a long time to come and nothing will force people to upgrade. I think a lot of people will keep Win7 for their Desktops (or stick with them) and grab Win8 for tablets and laptops.

There is a lot of new and good stuff in Win8 under the bonnet. It runs faster and lighter, it seems. It boots in no time on a UEFI BIOS and there are tonne of little refinements. Like how CHKDISK can now take <2 secs and keep the volume online and in use whilst repairing it.

Any of your software that works for Windows 7 should be fine on Windows 8. The reverse is not necessarily true as for Win8, developers can write Metro apps that Win7 will not support. However, most big software will probably be either non-Metro in the first place or have a separate Win7 version.

Win8 will unleash a lot of new devices on the market - tablets and laptops and super-slims. Metro is extremely suited for tablets so for anyone who wanted a tablet that wasn't an iPad or which had more enterprise functionality, they're going to be happy. For laptops it's also reasonably well-suited for a variety of reasons, though not as great as for tablets.

On Desktop PCs, Metro is a little more awkward (at least I have found it so far, I haven't tried the latest preview yet). The reason so much of the discussion you have read focuses on Metro is because it's such a massive in your face change and so controversial. However, the Desktop is still there, still works with multi-monitors and Metro can be treated as a slighly more annoying version of the Start menu. Or a lot more annoying version of the Start menu according to taste. ;)

Win8 includes quite a few new little features for the Enterprise. Things that let you, for example, create a separate work environment that you can drop into, ways that admins can lock down data access by profile so that, e.g. you come into work and can use the relevant files but, even though its your tablet, you can't so easily go wandering off with them when you leave the building.

If all that is still too long for you:
  • Cool new technical stuff and impressive speed and power-usage.
  • Massive and seamless cloud integration for your data
  • Still compatible with what you already have and still has Desktop
  • Everything accessed via a new interface that is great for Touch and will **** off a lot of Desktop users.

Win 8 won't let me install Acronis telling me with a pop-up that the program was not compatible. It worked fine on the Consumer Preview.

Back