• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, I've changed my mind. Metro is horrible. They've broken Start Menu Search. I can no longer access the device manger simple by hitting the windows key, typing "device manager" and hitting enter,

Ok, I've changed my mind. Metro is horrible. They've broken Start Menu Search. I can no longer access the device manger simple by hitting the windows key, typing "device manager" and hitting enter,

No, please, tell me you're joking. So I can no longer run commands just by hitting Win and typing it?...

Metro just lost a few points. A HUGE FEW points...

OK, the problem with the VM was that it seems I downloaded a corrupt ISO. Working like a charm on VMWare Workstation 8 right now.

And, @MrAlpha, you can still hit the Windows key, type a command, and it'll run it. You have to enable a feature called Show Administrative Tools or something among those lines to be able to hit the Windows key, type something like Device Manager (instead of the command, if you type devmgmt.msc, it ignores that) and run it.

First impressions are that this will rock on tablets and multitouch AIO systems, but at least, for me, I'll stick with Win7. Win8 Consumer Preview does not include the new filesystem (at least, it formatted my VMWare HDD as NTFS). I hope they release it.

They use a very similar wallpaper as they used on Win7 RCs, a fish, but this one is like a collage. I like it.

C'mon guys it's really made for their $60,000 tabletop computer. That and an idiot to man it. kidding
Isn't there supposed to be some built-in process of internet activation (like crapple) which supposedly has already been hacked?

OS's, from my point of view, are nothing but a layer between you and a goal. All these eye candy crap wannabe touch(me elmo)phone interfaces do is tie you physically to something someone else made to take your attention ($'s nice too which then makes you a model slave). Nothing more nothing less. I love how apple likes to come out with new hardware at least twice a year. retarded imho

Last edited:
microsoft thought of that.

bottom left hand corner if you click you get the start menu, top left your recent apps.

you can also pin your desktop and any app together, i'm not sure how to do it, but i saw it in a preview.

I know of the desktop feature in Win 8, but I want it to boot that way without Metro UI at all.

It is also a big pain not having a start menu and having to go through the Metro UI to find any app.

Tablet = Yes
Desktop/Laptop = Terrible and No

It looks like an effort to unify the UI look for both mobile and desktop users. If the desktop/laptop users without touch screens can't easily disable metro, I see another Vista PR fiasco.

I can see ppl on XP or Vista, touch screen and tablet users, looking to upgrade would go directly to Win 8. But for present desktop users of Win 7 there is not much of an incentive to upgrade. Why pay for something that is no better than what you already have (Win 7)?

It looks like an effort to unify the UI look for both mobile and desktop users. If the desktop/laptop users without touch screens can't easily disable metro, I see another Vista PR fiasco.

agreed, as many others have said before and will undoubtedly say again.... nice interface on a tablet.... HORRIBLE HORRIBLE interface on a desktop / laptop interface.

its a good 3 or 4 extra clicks to do the same thing as windows 7. they really need an option to go with a FULL desktop interface, and disable the metro ui.... also the whole i closed out of an app but its still running in the background is just bs... when i close an app i want it closed.

like audio stated and i have been telling people since i played with the beta.... i have a feeling this is going to be a new vista.

Just a thought: Windows 95's interface was much different than 3.1
Windows ME was just crap, I am with you on that one
Windows Vista looked different then XP
Windows 8 looks much different than 7

so my guess is that Windows 8 will be crap but their next version will be brillant.

Realy do not like the new metro interface. It feels clunky and reaks of iOS. I much prefer the layout of old (xp, win7).

I think over time I would get used to it, however nothing new that interests me.

Also 1 thing I can't get my head around, where is the shut down option (was in the start menu previously)

Realy do not like the new metro interface. It feels clunky and reaks of iOS. I much prefer the layout of old (xp, win7).

I think over time I would get used to it, however nothing new that interests me.

Also 1 thing I can't get my head around, where is the shut down option (was in the start menu previously)

Charms menu > Settings > Power > Shut down

No, please, tell me you're joking. So I can no longer run commands just by hitting Win and typing it?...

Metro just lost a few points. A HUGE FEW points...

you can. i just tried it, however, "device manager" is not in the list of commands you can type. if its pinned in the start menu apps, it should be fine.

commands like control panel, cmd, etc will work for the most part.

i've been actively using build 8250, and so far, i'm impressed. a few things aren't compatible, like older hyper V servers, and some RSAT items. but nonetheless, its been pretty good for me so far as a "beta" is concerned.

people think that metro is fully designed for the tablet enviorment, but really, they've incorporated a few things to lower its frustration on a pc. and i put start8 on and i've been happy (using full metro for the start menu though myself, just used to having that dammed button there :rofl:)

I haven't bothered with "fixing" the Metro UI. I already decided to stick with Win 7. I downloaded a couple utilities from Major Geeks and Win 8 didn't know what to open the setup with. The files were _exe , so I tried adding the file association to explorer and failed. After some head scratching I tried the blatantly obvious and changed the file names to .exe and they ran with no issues. I tend to overlook the obvious sometimes.
Overall I'm finding Win 8 to just be a pain in the @$$ to navigate and use. The Developer Preview was a lot better (for me). Unless I'm missing something really big , I smell another Vista in the new OS. It may be using fewer resources in hardware , but it seems to require more of my personal resources-not what I'm looking for in software. On the plus side , Windows 9 should be a winner!

It looks like most of the reviews are focusing on the Metro Mess , love it or hate it. That tells me the main body isn't newsworthy. Anybody find anything it does better than 7?

All my partitions are there, however it wont give me a choice to boot to windows 7. Anyone else experience this?

I have a tool for doing this. I actually found it reading this website when my W7 install would not boot after a fatal crash. I'll try to remember to get you the name in the morning.

Back