• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Activation Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dj Spiel

Long Story short.... I sold my old computer/built a brand new one. (yes the computer was wiped prior to sale)

I installed Windows 7 with my disk (that i purchase from Microsoft store when 7 barely came out)

Now when It try and install it's not letting me. It's activated before just fine....but now with the new pc it's complaining that it cant. Even though the installtion went fine before. Now I am 25 + days using my new box and i waited to last second to activate it (not sure if that matters or is contributing to the problem)

It is indeed a Window 7 Upgrade Pro Disk. However Plenty of people have not had issues including myself. I am not sure if one of the updates i downloading messed up my activation or not.

Googled around all the fixes didnt work for me

"the software licensing service reported that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading,not clean installations"

Each windows key can only be used a certain number of times before the automatic activation doesnt work anymore and you have to use the automated phone system. I believe it is something like 3-5 times but I am not sure. I believe that if you rt-click on computer and select properties at the bottom of the screen it tells you about you activation status. If you try to activate it there should be an option to activate by phone (you may have to disconnect from the internet for that option) then you call in the number and activate that way. I have had to do this several times because I re install about once a month or so. :)

The "automated" online system didn't work

along with the "automated" phone system. I was transferred to a Microsoft Employee. They could not help me.

At which point I was transferred....then told the place i was transferred to is close and to call back Monday.

Tried that as well "no go"

I think i screwed myself waiting almost 30 days. Non the less, I am a System Security Mgr for a company and we have access to licensing and what not.

So i just nabbed a key from work. Still bothers me that I paid for a license key and it doesnt work now. I honestly didnt wanna spend 2+ hours troubleshooting the problem. I guess I wait until I need the license key again. By then i think ill be ready for windows 8 tho.

Tried that as well "no go"

I think i screwed myself waiting almost 30 days. Non the less, I am a System Security Mgr for a company and we have access to licensing and what not.

So i just nabbed a key from work. Still bothers me that I paid for a license key and it doesnt work now. I honestly didnt wanna spend 2+ hours troubleshooting the problem. I guess I wait until I need the license key again. By then i think ill be ready for windows 8 tho.

I am sorry about that, that sucks. I have had to deal with M# licencing systems several times and it is the WORST SYSTEM IN THE WORLD. I love the Mac system: you buy it once and share it with all your friends :).

Yeah it sorta "makes me angry" when you pay for something and it doesn't work or only works when it want to. However, my system is fully activated and thats all that matters for now.

well first of all at 30 days type "slmgr -rearm" in a command prompt

Using this meathod will give you up to 120 days of use.

Secondly try inserting your key with these commands.

slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

slmgr.vbs /ato

If that does not work than you are out of luck :/ Newegg has pretty good pricing on MS software thats where I get my copies.

"the software licensing service reported that this specified product key can only be used for upgrading,not clean installations"

this means that you did a clean install if you have a old verion of windows( xp or vista)

lets say you have Xp install xp (dont do Activation) after you done with the Xp install put your windows 7 upgrade CD in then wehn it askes you do Adv
then it will see your HDD then click next it will install after you done with all the installing it should work fine

Note DONT wipe clean the XP before you install Windows

^ I agree, but he claims he already tried following the "Clean Install with Upgrade Media" link Janus67 linked to.

DJ Spiel, Did you actually install W7 TWICE (don't activate or even enter a Key the first time)? You can generally install the second version FROM WITHIN the first install (launch Setup.exe from the first install) - this almost always satisfies the "Upgrade" stipulations...

:cool:

Back