• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Urgent help needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joker76

Everytime I try DLing a file from any website, the File Download box opens and says that it's transferring at xx kb/s, but the progress bar just sits there and never downloads anything. I originally thought that the problem was due to my RR cable ISP. But I hooked up another comuter and it downloads files just fine. Can anyone please help me?

I'm running Windows XP Pro and IE 6 with the newest update from Microsoft.

could be possible that you do not have file downloading ensbled in your security settings, i would think that it is a security/firwall prob

Interesting ... I left the File Download box sitting on the desktop for a little while, and I got this message: "

The follwing file could not be downloaded - xxxxxxxxx - The connection to the server was reset."

Then I tried downloading the file again and it worked ... anyone know why it's doing this?

Could be your having major packet loss problems. Do a trace route to the server your trying to download from and send it to a text file and copy and paste it here.

Make sure you take the time to XXX out your IP addy.

You lost me there Kingslayer. I'm not too well versed in internet connection settings, etc. I'm still having trouble downloading stuff and it's really starting to get ridiculous. I have no clue why it's doing this. It was working fine 2 days ago.

EDIT: It's not just happening at 1 or 2 sites. It happens with EVERY site I try to DL something from.

Last edited:
from the do promt

c: ping WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ

and it will send some packets out and then the server should return them

if you are getting packet loss it will tell you at the little report at the bottom

0% packet loss ....

Arggg!

Pinging www.hercules.com [207.139.104.40] with 32 byte

Reply from xxx: bytes=32 time=275ms TTL=45
Reply from xxx: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=45
Reply from xxx: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=45
Reply from xxx: bytes=32 time=104ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 207.139.104.40:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 95ms, Maximum = 275ms, Average = 148ms

Well, I'm guessing this is some kind of Windows/IE problem. I'm going to try installing a new browser (Opera) and see if that fixes the problem. If not, I don't know what to do ...

Well, I'm impressed by the speed of Opera. However, I still can't download anything. It does the same thing. It opens the File Download box and it says transferring at xx kb/s but it just sits there. Nothing ever downloads. I am going insane with this ...

can you not download that file or anything at all

it may just be that file

if its anything at all call RR up and start yelling that shouldnt be

I can't download anything. I've tried several sites, and pinged them all and I'm not getting any packet loss. I seriously doun't think it's an RR issue, because I can DL stuff just fine on my other 3 comps in the house. And my web pages load fine and everything.

Un-install then re-install your TCP-IP protocol, I had the same problem before and doing that fixed it.

Next bet would be an OS problem, you could try a "dirty" install of your OS, that *could* fix it also.

Seeing that it's just related to 1 computer, and your others function fine, it's definetly a software/hardware problem on the affected system, not the ISP.

just a quick question...you obviously have a router, you might want to check the settings in it, also might be that some ports are being "filtered/blocked" on the affected system's IP....doubt it, but, couldn't hurt to check.

Last edited:
Actually I don't have a router. I just have a hub that connects all the domputers and I pay the extra $5 a month for the extra IP addresses. I really need to get a router though. Would save me $15 a month.

I will try un-installing and re-installing the TCP/IP and let you know if it works.

it still sounds like some kinda security settings or firewall setting prob to me have u checked those?

I've checked my security settings. And I'm not running a firewall (unless Win XP has a built in one). Everything seems to be in order. I don't really know what I'm looking for though.

I tried uninstalling my TCP/IP protocols. But it won't let me. Friggen Windows XP... So, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling all my other network clients and sevices. But still nothing. I am at a total loss here. Does anyone know how to uninstall TCP/IP protocols under Win XP?

yes XP does have a built in firewall,
under your network connections, right click your connection go to properties\advanced and you will see if it is enabled,(selected) if so deselect it reboot and then check your DL
Turn it back on and tweek it if it was

has far as security settings

go to tools section, internet options, under security tab make sure you check your settings for each: internet, local internet and trusted sites, make sure that enable downloads is enabled in EACH of those

OR to check set EACH to low
or make a site you could not DL from a trusted site(just add in trusted sites/sites) then again try to DL, see what happens

for one go to tools section, internet options, privacy, make sure you have checked always allow per sesion cookies

I really think your prob is in your browser settings(security/privacy) or with the firewall, but im always learning here and loving it, its addicting aint it?

Last edited:
you may want to try a ftp utility. I go to cnet download.com for most of my things.

some are shareware and some free. maybe others here have a favorite.

make sure its compatible with xp.

Joanne
:burn: :burn: :burn:

Back