• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 930 O.C. Stability Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks for the help. I'll try that one of these days when I have the time. What do you recommend for Vcore at 170 BCLOCK and x21 Multiplier? Could you post the link to your thread?

thanks for the help. I'll try that one of these days when I have the time. What do you recommend for Vcore at 170 BCLOCK and x21 Multiplier? Could you post the link to your thread?

Here is the link for that thread:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667848

Every chip is different, so one person's settings may not work for another person. I'd recommend following the OC guide found here:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/
But don't forget to start with stock voltages (unlike what the guide says to start with a higher QPI/DRAM voltage). Also, everyone has their definition of stability. My definition of stable is when the computer can pass 100 passes of IBT (using almost all of the RAM) and then pass a 24 hour run of Prime95.

ok my stock QPI is 1.2. I tried that and it failed to POST. So, I loaded my saved O.C. profile from my BIOS but this time I changed the PLL voltage from 1.8 to 1.82 and I changed the RAM speed to 1363 (x8 multi). So my settings are the following

Multiplier: x21
Base Clock: 170
DRAM Freq: 1363
Vcore: 1.325
PLL: 1.82
QPI: 1.35
IOH 1.1(only 1 graphics card)
DRAM 1.5
Load Line Calibration enabled
All spread spectrums disabled
All C-state/Power saving features disabled
Turbo Boost disabled

Upon loading these settings, the computer auto shutdown, rebooted, Posted, and loaded the desktop without any black artifacts.

I proceeded to Shutdown the PC 5 times, rebooted, Posted, and loaded the desktop without any black artifacts each time. For me, these indicators are a sign that the overclock is stable. I still need to run Prime95 and/or Intel Burn Test but I know the behavior of my machine well enough to know that if I have these positive indicators that I mentioned before, then it's most likely stable and will pass any stability test.

We'll see if the increase in PLL voltage makes a difference. I'll post back if it fails. If not I'll post anyways.

Let me know what you think.

9 successful POSTS so far, no black artifacts, windows is responding as if it were at stock settings, meaning that there are no hanging black screens before or after I enter my password to log on, desktop icons appear instantly once it loads to desktop, and load time is normal.

I don't think you'd need your QPI to be that high.. But here's my specs if it helps you. (i7 930 D0 on an Asus Rampage Gene II). I'm at 4ghz stable with Hyperthreading on at these settings..

Ratio 21
Turbo Power Limit enabled
Blck 191
PCIE 100
DRAM 1532 Effective (766)
Uclock 3063
QPI 6893

CPU LLC Enabled
CPU Differential Amp + 700mv
NB OCP enabled
DRAM OCP enabled
Extreme OV Enabled
CPU Control Absolute
Voltage 1.25v (I've got a decent chip. Try 1.3v flat..)

CPU PLL 1.88v
QPI 1.3v (I could lower it.. but it's fine here. so meh; I know for a fact it'll run on less)
IOH 1.2v
IOH PCIE 1.5v
ICH 1.2
ICH PCIE 1.5
DRAM 1.65v (Keep yours at 1.5v, I'm running older Corsair Dom's that require more voltage)

CPU spread disabled
PCIE spread enabled
CPU/IOH Clock Skew Normal.

See how you go with those settings. If you manage stable on 1.3v at 4ghz using my settings (if you're lucky) Then you can think about toning down the voltage.

PS; what are your current load temps? (Using Real Temp or Core temp) via Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test (Note IBT pushes the chips a bit harder and will result in a higher temp).

load temps are around 74 but then my Corsair H100 drops it down to 65ish after a few seconds. It just passed 10 iterations of Intel Burn Test. The change in PLL from 1.8 to 1.82 seems to be making a difference. I'm not going to change anything else or even attempt to overclock it more until I know for sure that it's stable at 3.57. I also have a D0 version I7 930 and from what I've heard that is the better version. You probably have a better Mobo than I, the ASUS P6T is probably worse than yours when it comes to overclocking. If I can keep it stable at 3.57 with the increase in PLL, then I'll try to go up to 180 BCLOCK.

Last edited:
My board is just as old as yours. Lol. You keep saying your board your board.. I just think you've just gotta keep playing at settings. My settings are there for you to refer to either way. The I7 930 are all D0 steppings. They replaced the I7 920.

Temps are good :). Actually they're great. Considering the vcore you're pushing.

Well last night i booted up and the POST screen hung there and then I got a HDD error and then it went to another screen where it told me to wait and there was a blue meter looking thing moving from left to right as if it were scanning my hard drive looking for errors. So this morning I ran SMART CTL long test and it passed without any HDD errors. So I'm not sure what that was all about. I have it downclocked to 3.36 again. That seems to be my highest stable BCLK. My HDD only has about 6110 hours of usage (8760 hours in 1 year) even though my PC is technically 2 years old. So the HDD seems to be fine. I just can't seem to get it stable with a BCLK over 160.

Do you know if overclocking can mess up a HDD? I've read that it can cause failure to POST.

Last edited:
Back