• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Dilemna

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigbaddie

I've noticed that the Acer has gotten much better reviews on the net. In addition, I would consider it over the Samsung due to it having VESA compatibility. You'll be able to mount them on a dual-monitor stand.
As far as response time, the majority of users cannot tell the difference between 2ms and 5ms. Many have claimed that it is a marketing gimmick as the way the response time is measured varies amongst manufacturers. Your best best is to read the test reviews of the monitors you are considering.
Good luck.

i always stick with IPS screens because its soooooooo worth it. just get your self a 30''

i always stick with IPS screens because its soooooooo worth it. just get your self a 30''

Gotta agree with you, 2 Dell U3011 here (had a wfp3007 before that).

But the OP said he only wanted a 21.5"-22" monitor. Since you didn't mention a budget or the purpose of the monitors I'd like to suggest 2 more things to look at.

If you're interested in the best image quality possible, you should consider getting an IPS panel (better color, better viewing angles, etc.). Yes, the response time are slower but as previously mentionned, it's mostly a marketing gimmick. I went from a 2ms TN to an 11ms IPS and frankly I didn't really notice it.

Another option, if you're more interested in gaming, would be a 120hz monitor. Not necessarily for the whole 3d thing which I find rather useless but the increased refresh rate is really nice (remember refresh rate is not the same than response time). Of course, you're limited to TN panels if you want 120Hz and the max resolution I've seen is 1920x1080. Neither of which would be an issue for you since you were looking for 1920x1080 TN monitors anyway.

Either option will most likely be more expensive (could be up to 3x more expensive depending on the model) but could be worth it depending on your usage scenario and your current rig. Please note that I didn't specify a specific model. That's simply because I never really researched monitors that size but I'm sure others could give you more precise information. I simply wanted you to consider the other tech.

Whats the difference between IPS and non IPS?

Just looking for something around $150.. budget is not that big for a second monitor.

My bad, didn't see the "Price range around ~$150 ish. Used for casual gaming"

yeah for that budget and usage, a regular monitor would be fine.

Hey, you're in luck. I just found this Acer IPS model on Newegg for only 159.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236205

Reviews seem good. One weird thing however is that Newegg lists that response time as 14ms, even though the manufacturer specs state 5ms :-/
http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS229HP#specifications

Yeah the manufacturer specs don't sound right, IPS panels usually are around 10-20ms but as I said, it's a matter of testing procedure, etc. and in the end it doesn't really matter because the difference between 15, 5 and 2 ms are negligible.

I see. Looks like Newegg.ca charges some hefty taxes and shipping fees.
Well, ultimately it is your money and decision. Check out all the comparison videos on the net and decide if the IPS display will be useful for your needs.

Just remember that iphone/ipad uses IPS so that might get you an idea on how it looks. its like having a 30'' ipad screen :D

Canada lol more specifically, BC

Oh that changes things... Did you check out NCIX? They have a pretty decent selection and they even have retail stores in BC. I usually buy most of my parts from them. (I'm in northern Quebec btw)

Be sure to check out their weekly sales page first, those prices don't appear in the regular price lists for some reason.

I couldn't find any 21.5-22" IPS panels there though but you could get a regular monitor for a decent price. Both monitors you linked are on sale right now there(same price too $139.99, but the asus ve228h has a 10$ mail-in rebate)

ASUS : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56380&vpn=VE228H&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1215

Samsung : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60359&vpn=LS22A300BS/ZA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1215

Hope that helps.

^
I dont know which one is better though lol. I don't really like MIR's but ASUS is pretty good with them.

^
I dont know which one is better though lol. I don't really like MIR's but ASUS is pretty good with them.

Well as I said, I never really researched either one of them but a few points I noticed in the specs :

-The ASUS has 3 inputs : VGA, DVI and HDMI. The Samsung is limited to VGA and DVI. For some, that HDMI input is important (especially with the 1920x1080 resolution, it could be used to replace a small tv... very small tv :p)

-The Samsung clearly mentions that it's glossy in the NCIX specs, I found other sources that suggest the ASUS one could be glossy too. Some people find glossy panels annoying, others love 'em so it's a matter of personnal tastes.

Aside from that, most of the specs are identical, it could possibly be the same panel too. If you are near one of their retail store I suggest you go check them out in person to compare them. If you don't care about the HDMI input, it all comes down to aesthetics.

asus has really really bad customer service, just stick with dell monitors

I can't talk about their support for monitors but we have 2 ASUS laptops (g71g and G74SX-DH73-3D) and their support was pretty good (the g71g had an issue with a fan, the next day we had a box to ship the laptop and it was fixed within a week, similar to Dell's support).

But you're right Dell support is pretty good. Unfortunately, Dell's monitors are a bit over the OP's budget of $150 (they are around $200).

Back