• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA Thru Brand Companies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I called this am and spoke to a "Alex". I gave him the required info and a few minutes later he tells me a request to the sales dept was sent regarding a replacement board yesterday. This is after I chewed the other rep's ear off concerning this issue.

"Alex" suggested I wait another business day for the email informing me if there is a replacement board. So far, no email :mad:

I told him if there isn't a duplicate board replacement available, why can't they just send me a board that has pretty much the same features and be done with it. I'll accept full responsibility for the swap. All I want is a full working board to get my pc up and running again. He says they don't do that because they don't deal with sales directly with the end user. What the? :eh?:

So anyway if they don't find a replacement board, then I have to redo the whole RMA shuffle again. Wonderful just wonderful.

Update: Just received the board back from Asus RMA. They sent the same board back (serial # checks out). Checking the packing slip it doesn't state what exactly they did to it :rolleyes:. No info or update on Asus's RMA site on what was done either.

Another phone call to tech support to find out what was done. Finally after 15 minutes on hold I get a rep. I asked what exactly was done. After checking her screen for info she states the faulty ram channel was repaired and checked 5 times by 5 different techs to ensure it's working as it should. She asked me if there was any issues. I told her I have not mounted the board to check as it's a pain in the arse to install the board and everything else to then find out the board is still faulty. I wanted viable info on what was done before I reinstall the board.

She did say that if there's any issues to RMA again and they will cross-ship and I don't have to pay shipping back to them.

Is Asus this way? I mean is this the way they do RMA's? No updates, no emails, no sort of communications to inform you of receiving the dead/damaged item, proof of said repair or shipping item back to you?

Same in my case, they sent me back my exact same motherboard (my board is easy to identify, it was marked and I remembered the serial number), looked almost the same as when I shipped it out except my heatpipe's cooling fins were now damaged (yes, it was actually further damaged by Asus' own techs).

This is pretty much the same as my phone call went, except the person I spoke to said there was no information in their database relating to my RMA whatsoever, aside from the initial information I gave the tech when I first put in the RMA. I, too, called to find out exactly what they had done with/to my board before I reinstalled it. I was so astounded that it came back in just a week I just had to call and find out if they did anything to it.

That's exactly what the second and third persons I spoke with said as well. I just hope that the pre-paid shipping label isn't through FedEx, since that's who they shipped the board back to me through and there isn't a FedEx facility anywhere near where I live AFAIK.

So it would seem, as I had the exact same experience.

Actually every time I checked the status page since the board was delivered, this is what I was greeted with:

You have reqeusted RMA no. for the machines below; however, they have not been received by us.

No emails, no updates, no phonecall. Not even an email stating they shipped back the board Via fedex ground. I was shocked to have a fedex driver knock on my door and leave the package.

It said the exact same thing with mine, even now after I've received the board back from Asus and it still doesn't work it still says on the website that they have not received it.

*Update*

Waiting on their email(s) for an advance replacement/rma which didn't come, I decided to call them again. Rep stated I didn't receive any emails is because they don't have any P6X58 boards available to replace it. I asked why don't you just replace it with a different x58 model with similar features/performance. They refused and stated they can only replace it with the same model which they don't have in stock :rolleyes:

So now they said i can re-ship my board for another attempt at repairing the problem and wait 1-14 days for it. So now this is gonna stretch out to at least a month. Aint this a bytch? :mad:

I think they're saying different things to different customers, because when I spoke with their tech support today I asked them what would happen if they did not have the same model motherboard on hand in their warehouse. This particular tech said, and I quote, "if we do not have the same model motherboard in stock at our warehouse we will upgrade you to the next grade up and/or a current/more current model." So, basically according to the Asus representative I spoke to they are supposed to upgrade you to the next model line in that socket type if they do not have the same exact board on hand.

Well another call to them this morning to let them know I have yet to recieve said email about a replacement board. Guess what? No email :rolleyes:

Just recieved an email with a pre-paid shipping label and another RMA# (2nd one). Looks like this is the last nail into their coffin. I'm pretty much done with Asus. Granted when their products work they're awsome, however their RMA service leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Looks like I'll be looking for another brand to be happy with.

You know these guyz (Asus) are retarded. I shipped the defective board back for the 2nd time last week. I called today just to see what the heck is going on. After like 15 min I finally get a rep. I give them the 2nd RMA # and they state it arrived on the 21st. So I ask why didn't I recieve any notice/email/update informing me. Rep says he doesn't understand why I didn't. Anyways He say I should be recieving an email shortly of updates.

So just a little while ago I recieve not 1 but 2 emails. Duplicates of..guess what?....Advance replacement :eh?: I called again and asked why did I get this email when I already shipped the board back last week? They stated there was no replacement board for me and I had no choice but to RMA it a 2nd time. He states it was a mistake and again didn't know why I was sent that email when I wasn't supposed to. What a bunch of morons :rolleyes:

Anyways he goes on telling me they recieved the board and get this...it's going to take 10-14 business days for them to complete the repairs and ship the board back :rofl:

So if I would've waited from the time this whole nightmare started and include these 10-14 business days I would've been out of a pc for about 6 weeks :screwy:

geez thats pathetic man. apparently asus just doesnt get it. with so many solid companies out there to choose from. they are clueless as to how many people are going to avoid them because of issues like this. hmm roll the dice with asus or go with a company that has REAL customer support? not much to ponder there.
glad to see your new mb is treating you well. i can give evga a vote of confidence for you. they will bend over backwards to keep you happy.

MSI is also slightly better from what I've heard. Asus is typically priced higher and arguably the same quality as several other manufacturers. I'm just not going to consider them anymore, not after this.

If you just want to get going the EVGA Store B-Stock has 90 day warranty EVGA X58 ICH10R SLI3 133MHz QPI motherboards for $79.99 plus shipping.

Geeks has a new Zotac board for $108 slow free shipping

If you like the build may be worth it while you fight with Asus, and keep for a spare.
I have had good experience with both places so far.

I expect Asus "contracts" some third party for RMAs the contractor pays technicians by the board shipped back. Technicians spend minimal time and return fixed or not, same technicians handle information, and the complaints.

I met an auto mechanic who bragged about how many parts he could leave off a reassembly to beat the flat rate time.

Last edited:
Already got the EVGA X58 FTW3 furbed from the egg.

*Update*

Called them up yesterday to find out the status. Unfortunately the rep states there was no record of them recieving the board :mad: Lucky for me I still have the FedEx tracking info :p So he tells me "the board is in another repair dept. They will be emailing me by Friday to update" :rolleyes:

This is like a bad soap opera. We'll wait and see....:popcorn:

You should make sure Asus knows about this lovely thread. :)

If I could, I think I'd gladly refer their management to this thread and my own. Maybe the quality of their service would change if their management knew just how horrible it is regularly.

Wow, between you, Neb and TT, and the so-called "support" you guys are receiving from Asus, it looks like I need to shy away from Asus products in the future. They make good products, but support when you have a problem also mean more to me than just having a rep as a maker of good quality stuff. Everyone makes the occasional defective product, and the way they rectify the problem goes a long way in my future buying decisions. I have a 2 1/2 year old Asus laptop that has given me no problems to date, but after reading threads such as this one and TT's thread makes me write them off my acceptable company list when it's time to buy my next work laptop.

If I could, I think I'd gladly refer their management to this thread and my own. Maybe the quality of their service would change if their management knew just how horrible it is regularly.

I would use a 'contact us' link off their main page and let customer service (different department) know. Letting the service/support dept know their own issues = being swept under the rug. Customer service will let their manager know, who can then contact other officials within Asus who can then approach support dept managers.

Called them up yesterday to find out the status. Unfortunately the rep states there was no record of them recieving the board :mad: Lucky for me I still have the FedEx tracking info :p So he tells me "the board is in another repair dept. They will be emailing me by Friday to update" :rolleyes:

This is like deja vu.

They told me the same exact thing when I called them last week on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Something about the board was in the hands of the repair department and for some reason they could not reach anyone in that department for confirmation of what the status of the repairs and/or replacement was and that I would receive an email updating me on the status of my RMA within a day or two. It's been almost a week and I still haven't heard anything on mine.

Called today. Was told by a rep it's still at the repair facility. A new RMA# has been issued ( 3rd RMA number by the way :rolleyes:) Update of said repair will be updated to me within 24/48 hours.

How many hours from the start this tallies to? :mad:

And the beat goes on.
I always hated waiting for Godot.

OTOH contests of will, ala sports, are suppoed to build character

Last edited:
Neb your experience sounds almost a duplicate of mine. I ended up just buying a giga board while I waited for my rma to finally arrive. I did end up just telling them to take their time and laugh at me all they wanted, and that I knew they were just screwing with me as no company would treat a customer the way they had treated me.
I also let them know that I would be posting about my expereince on several very prominent forums. They seemed to not care at all about that.
Whats funny is a week after I bought the giga board my new board arrived and brand new. sadly my fight was over the P67 b2 to B3 swap and should have been an "advanced with tracking" transaction, never turned out that way though

Back