• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA Thru Brand Companies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Not sure if many of you already know, but my main rig (sig) has been out of action so far for about 2 weeks. Here we go:

1) Purchased a new board ( Asus P6X58-E WS) from a member here. Unknown to him the board was defective. Center ram channel was borked. With his assistance I sent it in to Asus for RMA. They've had the board for a week and still no update. RMA status shows they have not recieved it :mad:. Delivery Confirmation clearly shows it was delivered. I've been calling them every other day asking them when will I have my board back and letting them know about my disappointment of their service.

The saga continues....

2) Following Asus' trouble shooting guide (and of course common sense) swapping my ram modules around, one of the heatspreaders came clean off :-/ So I fired of an RMA request to Mushkin. Within minutes I got my approval and sent in my memory for replacement/RMA. Now their site is either outdated or there's no one behind the wheel, but 1 phonecall changed all that. They recieved my ram on Saturday, I called on Monday to check the status (since their site isn't updated) and the rep stated it was already replaced and shipped out :eek: Yesterday I recieved my new ram. Mad kudos to Mushkin! :thup:

So both the board and ram was shipped out on the same day at the same time. Asus' tech service office is closed on Saturdays, but a notice was left. Monday it was delivered according to USPS, yet Asus' RMA status shows it was not :rolleyes:

However Mushkin was right on the ball even though their site is antiquated. Actually there's no option to check the status of RMA's. Kinda sad too for an awsome company :shrug:

So here we are..new ram in hand and still no board. I'm forced to use a 400Mhz celeron junkbox for the time being as I play the waiting game. How sad is that? :rain:

Yeah, Mushkin is clutch. Has been for a long time. I feel like every motherboard company is like your Asus experience, though. I haven't had to RMA a motherboard for a long time, thankfully, but all the stories seem to go the same way.

Crap! :( Don't get me wrong, Asus boards are awsome. I've never had problems with any Asus board aside from this one. However their service sux the big one :mad: We'll see how long this takes.

As for Mushkin: I've always had great experiences with them dating back to the DDR days. Their site is something to be desired, but their RMA service is top notch. I always get someone on the phone and they go to great lengths to help and make the RMA process go quickly.

I've never RMA'ed Asus before, but I have done mb's through Gigabyte, Biostar, and MSI. Gigabyte took about a month to get back, but there was always someone to talk to. Either by phone or email. MSI was good at about 2 weeks with decent communication, but Biostar was the fastest at about a one week turn around.

Thx Joe :)

Update: Just received the board back from Asus RMA. They sent the same board back (serial # checks out). Checking the packing slip it doesn't state what exactly they did to it :rolleyes:. No info or update on Asus's RMA site on what was done either.

Another phone call to tech support to find out what was done. Finally after 15 minutes on hold I get a rep. I asked what exactly was done. After checking her screen for info she states the faulty ram channel was repaired and checked 5 times by 5 different techs to ensure it's working as it should. She asked me if there was any issues. I told her I have not mounted the board to check as it's a pain in the arse to install the board and everything else to then find out the board is still faulty. I wanted viable info on what was done before I reinstall the board.

She did say that if there's any issues to RMA again and they will cross-ship and I don't have to pay shipping back to them.

Well I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and reinstall the board and everything else. Hopefully the new ram and the "repaired " board will work.

Is Asus this way? I mean is this the way they do RMA's? No updates, no emails, no sort of communications to inform you of recieving the dead/damaged item, proof of said repair or shipping item back to you?

I am glad i got the board back, but it's kinda lame if this is how they do things.:rolleyes:

Sunavaratzass!! After rebuilding my main rig, even with new ram I still have the same farkin problem! :mad::mad:

All this time wasted, waiting for Asus to fix this dam problem, they didn't after they said they did. Mutha@#$%^&***** !! :mad:

They have a status page and email you updates... they did with my matrix anyway.

Actually every time I checked the status page since the board was delivered, this is what I was greeted with:

You have reqeusted RMA no. for the machines below; however, they have not been received by us.

No emails, no updates, no phonecall. Not even an email stating they shipped back the board Via fedex ground. I was shocked to have a fedex driver knock on my door and leave the package.

Wow... The one experience I had with ASUS RMA went entirely opposite to what you had happen to you. Sure; they take their time with the stuff, but once they got around to my board it went like this:

- Email from ASUS: We checked your board and it's done for (not their exact words). We can try to repair it; there is no guarantee that we will be able to do so and it will take at least a few weeks on our end to do diagnostics and try to fix the damaged components.
You have two options: Wait for us to diagnose this board, or choose to get upgraded to the next model up (I had sent in a Rampage Extreme and the next one up was the Rampage III Extreme). I chose option 2 and not even a week later a brand new R3E was at my doorstep.

Guess not every one has the perfect experience with every company/brand. Goes with the roll of the dice :-/

Asus seems to give better support to those who have a problem with an ROG product... That's based on experiences I've seen/read on forums, I've never personally RMA'd through Asus.

Guess not every one has the perfect experience with every company/brand. Goes with the roll of the dice :-/

Yup... On the other side of that coin; I RMAd a board to Gigabyte and they sent me the same board without having done any work on it. The tech that got it simply copy/pasted my "Problem description" into his Updated status and sent it back. I had to do a 2nd RMA and wait a couple more weeks before I finally got a replacement board.

Asus seems to give better support to those who have a problem with an ROG product... That's based on experiences I've seen/read on forums, I've never personally RMA'd through Asus.

Yup... ROG products get "special" treatment. One of the perks you get when you spend the extra dough for the ROG logo.

Well that kinda sucks. You would think everyone that purchases an Asus product should be treated equally :rolleyes:

*Update*

Waiting on their email(s) for an advance replacement/rma which didn't come, I decided to call them again. Rep stated I didn't receive any emails is because they don't have any P6X58 boards available to replace it. I asked why don't you just replace it with a different x58 model with similar features/performance. They refused and stated they can only replace it with the same model which they don't have in stock :rolleyes:

So now they said i can re-ship my board for another attempt at repairing the problem and wait 1-14 days for it. So now this is gonna stretch out to at least a month. Aint this a bytch? :mad:

Shoulda bought ROG :p

Seriously, that sucks. Do they still make X58 boards? If not, how do they get them in stock, from other returns?

Shoulda bought ROG :p

Seriously, that sucks. Do they still make X58 boards? If not, how do they get them in stock, from other returns?

I would've bought an ROG, but I got this one from a senior member here and it was a super deal. Unsure oh how they get returns.

They obviously can't fix it, so they should (or need) to replace it. If they have nothing available to replace it, tough. They need to send you a refund check.

Back