• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

27" 2560x1440 Monitor Under $400!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks like a real success story. And there are still a bunch on ebay for the same price. Not a bad monitor. ;) 27''. 2560x1440, LG ips panel. Sub $400. :thup:

Not that much more than I paid for the Dell 24" IPS...

Mmm... Gaming at 7680x1440... Would probably need another 7970 to push that :(

So I take it there's two different monitors, the "Achieva QH270" and the "Catleap Q270", and the Catleap has a better stand and a higher refresh rate?

I really like my large HannsG, but was really looking for a IPS monitor...

Hi all, old member here who mostly lurked, then lost his account, glad to be back :)

So I take it there's two different monitors, the "Achieva QH270" and the "Catleap Q270", and the Catleap has a better stand and a higher refresh rate?

I really like my large HannsG, but was really looking for a IPS monitor...
The Achieva Shimian QH270
- Has a slightly more stable stand.
- The refresh only goes up to 65hz or 70hz depending. No one has figured out why some people can only hit 65hz, while others can hit 70hz, there may be an inconsistency with the monitors' firmware, or with people's videocards.
- Input lag is less than a 1/2 frame, around 2-3-or-4ms because it doesn't have a scaler with multiple inputs.
- Has a good pixel refresh speed, especially compared to other IPS panels, despite having no overdrive.
- All are Glossy.

The Catleap Q270
- (Edit: suddenly there's a videoboard lottery that decides which units get higher refresh rates, so far the model without speakers and no antiglare glass is the safest choice, Caveat Emptor) Many Catleap owners are hitting 85hz refresh rates with ATI cards (an artificial firmware limitation that ATI created for it's ramdac, 333mhz). Whereas Nvidia cards will give you 100hz refresh rates (Nvidia uses the full 400mhz ramdac).
- Also has low input lag like the Achieva Shimian, no scaler etc etc.
- Good pixel refresh speed, just like the Achieva Shimian.
- A good default factory calibration compared to other monitors. Right out of the box it has decent color accuracy, 2.2 gamma, and the full advertised contrast (ToastyX measured it as 1050 native contrast, good for IPS). Most of us will have no need to goof around with settings.
- All are glossy.
- Needless to say this model has garnered the most attention, especially after people discovered the high refresh rates, and ToastyX discovering the good factory calibration.

A New clone: The CROSSOVER 27Q
- Early reports say it is capable of 75hz, but i haven't seen an actual confirmation backed up by actual tests. It may have been tested, i just haven't stumbled upon it yet.
- The stand may be a tad more stable.
- More information and testers are needed.

Both the Catleap and Shimian come in a standard and tempered glass model. People have begun to stay away from the tempered glass model for two reasons: 1) many have had visible dust specks stuck behind the tempered glass 2) they add a second layer, which some people claim that it can cause dual reflections(?).

There is a model with multiple inputs known as the "Catleap Multi". But since it has a scaler it'll have between 1 to 1-1/2 frames of input lag (16-24ms etc). In the grand scheme of things that amount of input lag isn't so bad, it's still better than any so called "gaming TV" (LCD or plasma which the best models have around 20-32ms input lag).

Here's another large discussion thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

Last edited:
What?

ATI has had a 400 mhz RAMDAC speed for over a decade. Why change now?

Is that why ATI works better with more monitors than nvidia? If so and they changed for populairity that explains a lot. I cant get a nVidia card to work right on my older LCD tv, ati works fine . (multiple cards for both companies)

So 333 MHz is the new thing and nVidia has not adopted yet?

Thanks for the summary, I think I might pounce on a Catleap...
Glad i could help. I figured i'd post some info since i've been monitoring both discussion threads since they started.

What?

ATI has had a 400 mhz RAMDAC speed for over a decade. Why change now?

Is that why ATI works better with more monitors than nvidia? If so and they changed for populairity that explains a lot. I cant get a nVidia card to work right on my older LCD tv, ati works fine . (multiple cards for both companies)

So 333 MHz is the new thing and nVidia has not adopted yet?
I don't know if it's the start of a new trend or not, but all ATI cards still have latent 400mhz ability, it's just been artificially capped. From what i understand, it can be partially uncapped via software, but the uncap won't work in other programs or games so it's pretty much useless to even bother with. I don't have much knowledge outside of what ToastyX has posted about it, and he almost always gets his facts right so i trust the info :)

I don't know if it's the start of a new trend or not, but all ATI cards still have latent 400mhz ability, it's just been artificially capped. From what i understand, it can be partially uncapped via software, but the uncap won't work in other programs or games so it's pretty much useless to even bother with. I don't have much knowledge outside of what ToastyX has posted about it, and he almost always gets his facts right so i trust the info :)

I will leave it up to more interested people than me to decide :)

Doesn't seem to me to be that weird, I have never heard of a 70 MHZ refresh rate on a LCD screen. I have heard of people setting it on their video cards, but as for screens themselves 60/120 are it for LCD.

Then again we as OCers do a lot of stuff things are not supposed to be able to do ;)

Oh bother if only these were 16:10 screens I would buy 2 of them right now. Cool deal.

Glad i could help. I figured i'd post some info since i've been monitoring both discussion threads since they started.
If I am to wall-mount mine and don't really require a high refresh rate, there's practically no difference between the two besides the Catleap arch I need to remove, right?

Bought one. I will report back when she arrives...

Which seller did you pick? I skimmed the OCN thread, and saw that Green-sum double-boxes their screens (after some arrived with cracked bezels), but I think they are currently being slow on shipping, not sure. Maybe it's dream-seller being slow.

So ready to get one, but not sure what to do with my 28" HannsG afterward...

Careful everyone, not sure if everyone notice the edit i added to my previous post, but there is an official video mainboard lottery on the Catleap variants now. And not every included video mainboard is capable of 85~100hz, some are locked down to 67hz, which is still a ~12% improvement but not as dramatic.

Those who were waiting, or on the fence, may want to wait for more people to test the other clone called the Crossover 27Q (Ebay link). Early reports are saying it is capable of 75hz refresh but it is still too early to know for sure.

If anyone discovers any new trends, or stumbles upon related info, please post it here.

Last edited:
Im not worried about a superior refresh rate. It does 60hz, so anything above that is gravy to me. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Broke down and bought one too. I figured I spend a great chunk of my day at the computer, might as well get a good monitor.

Bought one from dcsamsungmall for $371, see who'll get their's first. :p Three year, $54 squaretrade warranty probably not worth it huh.

Back