• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weatherlite

I know the Windows Experience rating doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but my WD Caviar Black 6Gb/s drive is only showing as a 5.9 and my son's Caviar Blue at 3Gb/s shows 5.8. You would think mine with the higher transfer speed and 64MB cache would be considerably higher than his lower rate and 16MB cache. Yes, I have it plugged into the 6GB/s slot on the board and yes, I have all the latest drivers installed. Running Windows 7 Pro 64. Any ideas?

Microsoft decided that a 6.0 or higher requires at the minimum an SSD. Even if you have the fastest drive on the market (the SATA 6.0 Gb/s Velociraptor) it will read at a 5.9 because of this MS limitation.

You need to use another HD benchmarking tool such as HD Tune.
http://www.hdtune.com/

6 GB vs 3 GB transfer speed with respect to HDD is pure marketing. NO HDD is anywhere near saturating SATA II 3 GB speeds. Only new gen SSDs will saturate and surpass SATA II speeds.

I didn't know this! Learned something new today. :)

I used HDTune and am totally underwhelmed. It said my average speed was somewhere around 130 MB/s, which is a hair over 1Gb/s. Does that seem low to you as well or am I just that unfamiliar with true transfer speeds to know better?

That's actually a pretty good speed for a spinning disk drive. If you google reviews for your drive you will see your drive is performing as its supposed to be.

6 GB vs 3 GB transfer speed with respect to HDD is pure marketing. NO HDD is anywhere near saturating SATA II 3 GB speeds. Only new gen SSDs will saturate and surpass SATA II speeds.

Though true for some things with raid it makrs a big diffrence.

Back