• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Brand PSU is in the tops these Days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NZXT makes some good adapters, as does BitFenix. Among others.
Unsleeved cost less.

Rosewill Capstone power supplies are Superflower, prices are better than Kingwin.
The 450 Capstone hasn't been on site for a while though.
The Rosewill hive is a modular version of the OCZ ZS series (Sirfa if memory serves).

Admittedly I buy on sale rather than brand specific ( its what's inside that counts).

What is the point in having 2 EPS12V connections, I see Johnny guru stressing that on the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 PSU ?

2 8 pin CPU (rather 1 8 pin CPU and 2x4pin 12v ports) is actually part of the standard for EPS power supplies. 8 pin CPU + 1 4pin 12v is required for 600-800W units and a 8 pin + 2x4pin cable required for 850 and up. Per EPS 12v 2.92 specifications. (2.93 is current but didnt see a data sheet for it)

Now I think those are referring to server/workstation products that run high numbers of DIMM slots, but enthusiast platforms have started using them for additional CPU power.

http://www.enermax.cn/enermax_pdf/EPS12V Spec2_92.pdf page 16

Simple google search shows the 39-01-2040 is just half a 39-01-2080 (8 pin CPU plug)

the Antec GREEN EA650 has 2 12 v rails and the corsair TX650 V2 650W has 1 but the EA650 is 88% efficient and the corsair is 85%?
Also input voltage for antec EA 100 -240Vac and the corsair 90-264V Why does the corsair start so low ?

Is this indication of better stability on the Antec side ?

Can't really beat Kingwin Lazer Gold's PSU's for performance, quality and price.

the Antec GREEN EA650 has 2 12v rails and the corsair TX650 V2 650W has 1 but the EA650 is 88% efficient and the corsair is 85%?
Also input voltage for antec EA 100 -240Vac and the corsair 90-264V Why does the corsair start so low ?

Is this indication of better stability on the Antec side?

I would think that the Corsair unit starting at just 90V would provide greater compatibility for those users who have power coming out of their outlets below 100V. I suppose it would also be good for situations where there are frequent (or infrequent) power dips, so the Corsair could theoretically stay running in situations where the Antec would shut down because of not having high enough voltage.

I like Corsair PSU's myself, have three of them here and haven't had any problems with any of them.

Two are Seasonic built (HX520W & HX620W) and one is CWT built (TX750W V1). I've been using the TX750W off and on for around a year and-a-half now, the HX620W for around six months, and the HX520W for a month or two.

Erm. No. The hx series is solid but its based on an older platform now. Most of them anyway.

+1. I had an HX and it was solid but like with my current TX the first one I got was DOA, just a case of bad luck I suppose. Another thing to consider is no power supply no matter who the manufacturer is, is immune from dying. Besides looking for nice solid psu's that won't take your system down with it when it goes you should also look at return policies, warranties, and RMA/Customer Service ratings to see what other people thought of them... I'm sure you already know all this stuff but just my two cents.

I like using Seasonic & Corsair. Or if there is a good price on an Antec or Enermax, i don't mind those either.

i dont have corsair power supply anymore but they have the best customer service

Oh wow..... [RANT] DAMN YOU NEWEGG! WHEN ARE YOU OPENING UP IN AUSTRALIA! [END RANT]

Yup, thats an awesome deal, and I want one!

I've owned Antec and they've all worked correctly and treated me well, so of the original three they'd be my pick. That said, they are only my pick of those limited three and not what I would choice from the variety available.

I've never been happier than I have been with my Seasonic unit.

On the account of Corsair, I've only had one unit but the safety mechanism on it did not function correctly and I ended up with melted wire and a room full of smoke. I will never purchase another.

That KINGWIN unit recommended by Bobnova seems interesting. The 45 amps on the 12v rail though makes me leery cause it reminds me of the Corsairs. :\
But that efficiency, performance, and value is impressive.

I think for my next unit I'll be aiming to get something around the 500-600 watt range.

I've owned Antec and they've all worked correctly and treated me well, so of the original three they'd be my pick. That said, they are only my pick of those limited three and not what I would choice from the variety available.

I've never been happier than I have been with my Seasonic unit.

On the account of Corsair, I've only had one unit but the safety mechanism on it did not function correctly and I ended up with melted wire and a room full of smoke. I will never purchase another.

That KINGWIN unit recommended by Bobnova seems interesting. The 45 amps on the 12v rail though makes me leery cause it reminds me of the Corsairs. :\
But that efficiency, performance, and value is impressive.

I think for my next unit I'll be aiming to get something around the 500-600 watt range.

SuperFlower is the OEM for that unit. On another note, you can have bad luck with ANY brand, regardless of how reputable they are. I ended up with a dodgy SuperFlower unit which damaged my mainboard and Corsair H100 cooler before finally completely failing itself. Interestingly SuperFlower make some of the best units at the moment, and that was supposed to be one of them. A SuperFlower Golden Green PSU, 80+ Gold rated.

Likewise, I had an Antec True 330 fail back in the day, and any number of cheapy PSU's which haven't failed. It's the luck of the draw. You're less likely to have a failure with a reputable brand, though it doesn't mean nothing will happen. :-/

Back