• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'd 2600K or 3820?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr_pepsi

Registered
I was strongly going to go with the 2600k because of the amount of OCing that can be done with it, however now with the new 2011 chipset and the new i7s I'm thinking about going that route, I just read MaximumPC's recent article on the 3820, but it still wasn't clear if either or was going to be the way to go for now and say maybe 3-4years down the line, seeing as how the 2011 chipset is the newer kid on the block, I'm thinking it might be the best way to go. It would cost me another about $120 more to go the way of the 3820 over the 2600k (that's including the MB (be going with the top of the line Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z for the 2600k, or the Asus Rampage IV)).

The system will be a heavy gaming system (BF3, SWTOR etc.), and be water cooled.

Ideas, suggestions, comments????

I leaned towards the 3820 X79 for my main "Powerhouse" Audio Production system, but I'm really using the 4-Channel RAM's bandwidth and silly fast DMI for Low-Latency ASIO and VSTi's and crap.

For Gaming, if the 2500K's 16 Lanes of PCIe 2.0 are enough to satisfy your Graphics needs, I'd probably stick with the 1155. You will save $200-$300 on the system as a whole comapred to 2011 - especially if you get the 2500K and a Z68 MoBo from Microcenter - the 2500K is only $179 and you get $50 off any Z68 MoBo when you buy the package! I've already purchased two of those "hot deals" (they come and go every other month or so) - and loving every minute of it!!! Hard to beat that...

:cool:

Intel core I7 2600k is good but Intel core I7 3820 is a better choice :)
And the Asus Rampage 4 x79 is one of the best mobo u can buy right now

Cooler Master Cosmos 2 case
Intel core i7 3960x oc to 4.7GHz
Asus Rampage 4 x79 mobo
Asus 12x bd writer
2x Corsair force GT 240gb each in raid 0
16gb G.Skill ripjaws ddr3/2133
Noctua NH=D14 SE2011 cooler
2x 2tb WD caviar black in raid 1
Corsair AX1200 1200watts psu

It's NOT the better choice. You can't OC the 3820, and a Sandy Bridge @ 4.5GHZ beats a Sandy Bridge-E at @ 3.6GHz.

You can sort of OC the 3820 with Turbo Mode, but even at equal clocks, it's not worth the money.

It's NOT the better choice. You can't OC the 3820, and a Sandy Bridge @ 4.5GHZ beats a Sandy Bridge-E at @ 3.6GHz.

You can sort of OC the 3820 with Turbo Mode, but even at equal clocks, it's not worth the money.

The 3820 can be OC'ed via bus, the locked multi doesn't take that ability away. They OC fairly well, and hit around the same final clock as 1155 SB's do.

Oh, didn't know they unlocked the BLCK. Either way, still too close in performance unless you need extra PCIe lanes or 8 RAM slots.

Yep - The way the 3820's O.C. is actually BETTER than a simple unlocked multi, as it is reminiscent of the 1366 and older 775's (and P4's, etc) where you increase the bclk - which increases all of the busses and cache as well as the CPU's resultant frequency. Of course, that's why the PCI Bus Lock is so important. But also why this method renders better results (especially in "Realtime / Low Latency" type DAW applications).

The "Strapping" is what allows this - and also why you can get "Dead spots" in the bclk range - so incrementally charting your progress is the best way to end up with a killer "all around" overclock (not just a CPU Multi boost). My i7-930 @ 4.2GHz easily surpasses my 2500K @ 4.5GHz for my particular application, and I'm betting on 4.6 GHz from the 3820 (once I get it to POST!!! :( ), plus more RAM bandwidth and a fatter DMI. Exactly what the doctor ordered....

It's all about the practical application of the system in question.

I see no point to go with s2011 unless you are going to get 6 core+ cpu and you really need workstation. On the other hand X79 is quite standard chipset for workstation and offers almost the same as these for s1155.
4 memory channels are faster only in some multi threaded environments so for home use it's like no difference between 4 and 2 channels.

Car Analogy
1155 - SUV
2011 - Tow Truck

If you need to move a lot of "big things", f.ex. big containers (big renderings, lots of video encoding, multichannel audio editing, et cetera) you'll need the tow truck to do it faster, even though you could do it with the SUV.

If you just need to move "light things" f.ex. little bags from the grocery (games that are not CPU dependant, one-every-millenium video encoding, browsing... et cetera), you'll be able to do it with the tow truck but with the SUV you'll get the same performance, since you only carry little bags.

I see no point to go with s2011 unless you are going to get 6 core+ cpu and you really need workstation. On the other hand X79 is quite standard chipset for workstation and offers almost the same as these for s1155.
4 memory channels are faster only in some multi threaded environments so for home use it's like no difference between 4 and 2 channels.

It's all about the practical application of the system in question.

;)

Ok so then my build will look like this, with a 2600k on board

Cooler Master 932 Advanced case
Cooler Master Silent ProM 1000w ps
Samsung 12X BD-ROM/DVD Write
G.Skill Sniper 1600 CL7 2x4GB kit (might obtain a 2nd kit for a full 16GB)
OCZ Solid 3 SSD 120GB
2x Gigabyte GTX 560ti OC'd 1 GB
2TB of HHDs (have 2 500s and a single 1TB already)
i7 2600k
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z mb

My main thing is I DON'T want bottlenecking issues when it comes to the graphics.

Except for the mb, processor and 1 graphics card, I've had the rest for months now, just waiting for the funds to obtain the rest, all the while the 2011s arrived.:)

Good to go with that set-up then??

Edit: then again I did just read up on the ASRock x79 Etreme9 2011 socket board-niiiiice, decisions decisions

Last edited:
Car Analogy
1155 - SUV
2011 - Tow Truck

If you need to move a lot of "big things", f.ex. big containers (big renderings, lots of video encoding, multichannel audio editing, et cetera) you'll need the tow truck to do it faster, even though you could do it with the SUV.

If you just need to move "light things" f.ex. little bags from the grocery (games that are not CPU dependant, one-every-millenium video encoding, browsing... et cetera), you'll be able to do it with the tow truck but with the SUV you'll get the same performance, since you only carry little bags.

Great analogy, simple way of putting it.

No need for the ROG motherboard, the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 can typically take a 2600K pretty far. The most I'd spend on a motherboard is an ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 or a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro GEN3.

I've found that my i5 2500k at stock is about 85% faster than my old Core2Duo E8400 at stock. This chip is amazing. I've got at at 4.5GHz using only 1.28v. My 2 GTX 460 1GBs really weren't used to the full on my E8400 but they are now with my i5 2500K. My 3DMark06 score went from 16,500 to 31,700. My CPU will be fine for years to come.:drool:

I'd go with the 3820 personally. Max overclocks on the 2600k are around 4.8. I did 4.3 on my 3820 at 1.28vcore just by jumping the multiplier up to 43 (btw this is a partially locked chip, you can adjust the multiplier up to 43). People on another forum are routinely hitting 4.8 - 5.0 on air cooling at ~1.4v with temps round 75-80 full stress.

Back