• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help bad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chrisdafu

I just got my dsl (DirecTV) the other day and hooked it up through USB and everything worked fine. Today I tried to hook it up the eternet and it will not work so I decided to hook it up through USB again. The problem is I want to network it with my other computer. I bought a Netgear 4 port 10Base-T Ethernet hub. I dont know if this is what I need or not but I have 14 days to return it to circuit city. After I uninstalled the dsl program and hooked up the router it would not work. I had a crossover cable coming from the dsl modem to the 1st port on the router at first. Since I know very little about networking I thought this might be the problem so I switched the crossover cable with a regular cable. This didnt work either. Next I tried to hook it up through ethernet stright from the modem to the computer. It still did locate the modem. This has led me to believe there is a problem with the modem. I was wondering if the modem was working right would the way I had the network work???:(

I needed to contact my provider, (AT&T cable), when I switched from my USB to my ethernet. They record the MAC address, so I needed to have that changed.

Also, if you want to share access, you should get a router, not a switch.

you can try this
1. plug in your modem to your computer's new card

or your modem to your router and from the router with a regular cable, to each/ your computer

(do you have both a router and hub or are you calling your netgear hub a router, because they are two different things with different functions-these instructions are not for a hub) basically, If you have a multi port router then you do not need the hub, unless u want to hook up more computers then your router has ports. if u are just networking two computers u should not need a hub, and possibly even a router

2. then unplug the modem from the wall(remove power) for about 5 min and then replug it in,

you will have to configure your router(maybe),depends on type i think, most have good manuals and help service,
as well as people in this site
and ( for sure) you will have to configure each computer internet settings, to obtain IEP and DNS automatically in the network TCP settings

the isp assigns you an IP, and the router takes that and splits it so to say, to each of your home computers(sub nets it)

If you just want to run your modem to your new NIC(network interface card), make sure that your NIC is set up, when you put it in it should be detected on the first boot by windows then you need to make sure that the TCP protocal and Microsoft client is installed, disable netbios over TCP and file and print sharing(all this can be done by going to your control panel \network and dial up settings click on the new setting(LAN) and mess with look around under the properties tabs and settings

this is kinda quick, just trying to help, ask more post more and u will get help here

Last edited:
Im retardted and called my hub a router. since Im only 13 and dont have lots of money to spend I bought it becuase its only $30. tommorow Im going to try to hook it up by ethernet again and see if that works but knowing my luck it probally wont. Thaks for the help so far.

Back