• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M4A88TDM-EVO/USB3 Dual channel problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ultimategtr

Registered
Hi,

I have been using my replacement mobo and RAM perfectly fine for a few weeks now.

I decided to put the RAM in dual channel mode(using up the 2 Blue slots - DIMM0 and DIMM2, leaving DIMM1 and 3 blank)

And now it doesnt boot, lol. It runs fine in single channel mode. In CPU-Z it shows up as single channel as expected.

When I put the sticks in dual channel mode - the red light stays on.. I push it for 5 secs and let it do its auto tune thing but nothing happens, as i leave it for about 5 mins, and its still blinking..

What am I doing wrong here??? Memory is Kingston Hyperx 8g kit 9-9-9-27 1800mhz.

1. Did you check to see if that ram is on the Asus QVL list?

2. Most CAS 8 ram requires 1.65Volts to run and if the SPD is not setting higher voltages it likely will not run in dual channel without having ram timings and voltages set manually.

4G Kingston HyperX T1 CL8 1600Mhz << copied from your signature. Assuming that is the configuration we are dealing with.

Part numbers for ram are highly recommended especially if the ram is the issue.

Yeh sorry I hadnt updated my sig for a while.

Could it be just that, its not listed as a QLV?..?

What frequency are you running the ram at? I hope not the full 1800 mhz. The ram may be capable of that in dual channel mode but the CPU's integrated memory controller is not up to it, being only rated for 1333 mhz.

When in single channel - I was running at 1680 mhz. I didnt push it any higher, for no reason.

I did try running it in 1866mhz, but yeh it wouldnt boot, thats when I looked, and tried to put it into Dual channel mode, and thats where my problem lies.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS to force the motherboard to initial to a different ram configuration, i.e., single to dual?

Also, I would try it in dual at 1333 just for to get a feel for whether the problem is a weak component or something different.

Yes I used the jumpers to clear the cmos.

I'll have another go tonight, again though.

It would be helpful perhaps to show us pics of CPU-z tabs "Memory" and "SPD" so we could compare the timings you have it set to with the mfg.'s recommendations. "Auto" in bios cannot always be trusted to assign correct values.

Okay, so I updated the BIOS to the latest version, and reset cmos, no go.

Here are some screenshots:

"Memory" tab of CPU-Z
9fsm5w.jpg

"SPD - Slot1"
1071i4m.jpg

"SPD - Slot2"
ckeab.jpg

This is STOCK settings after I updated my bios, which is running at 1600mhz(changed profile)

Aha! You have that high voltage DDR3 ram that won't do 1600 unless you jack the voltage up to 1.65. Recent AMD CPUs don't like that stuff. But I guess I should ask, what is the DRAM voltage set to in bios? If it's on Auto it might not be getting enough voltage. Auto doesn't always assign correct values. And even if you set it to 1.65v, like I said, AMDs don't like it but you should try it anyway and you should try putting your CPUNB voltage to about 1.3.

Looks like your tRAS need adjusting, too, from 24 to 27 and your tRC needs to be adjusted to 36 from 40. The SPD tab of CPU-z shows the manufacturer's recommended timings and voltages for the ram. The "Memory" tab shows your current settings.

Last edited:
Thanks Trent - Yes I am aware of the voltage for the DIMM needing 1.65. In the BIOS, when I select any non standard profile, it asks me if I want to increase the voltage to the DIMM, to which it changes to 1.65v.

DRAM voltage - 1.65v?

Recent AMD? I bought mine last Marchish - So what you're saying is while in Single channel mode, change the CPUNB voltage to 1.3, then turn it off and stick the dimms in dual channel mode?

Yes thats something I wondered too about the tRAS timings. I will change the CPUNB voltage tonight and see if that makes a difference, fingers crossed!

Thanks Trent - Yes I am aware of the voltage for the DIMM needing 1.65. In the BIOS, when I select any non standard profile, it asks me if I want to increase the voltage to the DIMM, to which it changes to 1.65v.

DRAM voltage - 1.65v? An alternative way of speaking of DIMM or memory. Dynamic Random Access Memory, I think.

Recent AMD? I bought mine last Marchish - So what you're saying is while in Single channel mode, change the CPUNB voltage to 1.3, then turn it off and stick the dimms in dual channel mode? Change the CPUNB voltage in bios to 1.3, whether or not you have it in dual or singler channel mode. I'm saying the extra voltage may strengthen your integrated memory controller and enable it to do dual channel.

Yes thats something I wondered too about the tRAS timings. I will change the CPUNB voltage tonight and see if that makes a difference, fingers crossed! Don't just wonder about it, change it.

Yeh I know DRAM, lol. Not THAT dumb, Just wanted to make sure what you actually meant.

So I increased the CPUNB voltage from 1.150 to 1.3 and im on single channel - booted okay. temps okay.

Will restart now and put the timings right and stick them in Dual channel mode.. fingers crossed!!

Okay no go. Bugger. I give up. I will take PC to the shop where I got the mobo from and get them to stick in a working set of Dual channel DIMMs.

Eating my head in.

Cheers for your help Trent! Will report back tomorrow arvo I guess!

Ok update - Got the guys to check my PC - They reckon its the RAM thats faulty.

I took the RAM back to the place I got it from - I got them to test, and it worked.. wtf.. On 2 different machines(AMD/Intel). I'm at a loss now.

WTF?! About to throw this RAM out into the bin.

Back