• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU_FAN, PWR_FAN, CHA_FAN differences?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Meatball0311

Registered
I would like to know what exactly do these (CPU_FAN, PWR_FAN, CHA_FAN) do and what can I and cannot hook up to them?

For example, I have the Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. The instructions say to hook the fan to the CPU_FAN and hook the pump to a 3-pin fan header on the motherboard. Well my motherboard doesnt have a 3-pin fan header, instead it has a 3-pin PWR_FAN header for the pump. So I hooked the pump onto the PWR_FAN header and all seems to be working fine. My temps at idle are around 27-30 celsius.

The reason I am asking is I have read that the PWR_FAN is suppose to only be used for a 3-pin connection to a PSU. Can someone please explain these headers to me. Thanks.

the PWR_FAN is not for the PSU it is usually used for a fan located near the back of the case, but it need not be used for that specific use. the CHA_FAN I believe is just for another fan, the CPU_FAN is usually used for the fan on your cpus cooler. it is good practice to use this as specified because the fan speed for the CPU_FAN will vary based on your temps.

the PWR_FAN is not for the PSU it is usually used for a fan located near the back of the case, but it need not be used for that specific use. the CHA_FAN I believe is just for another fan, the CPU_FAN is usually used for the fan on your cpus cooler. it is good practice to use this as specified because the fan speed for the CPU_FAN will vary based on your temps.

Thanks for the reply. I just received my P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 and am about to build my build. The Deluxe seems to have the appropriate headers, 4-pin CPU_FAN (H60 120mm fan) also a 3-pin CHA_FAN and 3-pin PWR_FAN header.

Should I use the 3-pin CHA_FAN or the 3-pin PWR_FAN for the pump?

No, run the pump directly from your power supply or you may kill your mainboard headers, or worse, the pump simply won't have enough power to start up. You want the pump running at 100% all the time. The fan headers on your mainboard vary depending on how hot things are in your case.

However, if it's like the H100 then the pump will have a fan controller built into it and the fans for the radiator plug into the pump/base plate itself, and there will be a 4 pin fan header that plugs into your CPU_FAN mainboard header. All that is for is to get readings from your mainboard, it doesn't actually recieve power from the mainboard. It will also have a separate 4 pin molex plug to plug straight into the PSU.

I hope I've just clarified things rather than confused the issue....

No, run the pump directly from your power supply or you may kill your mainboard headers, or worse, the pump simply won't have enough power to start up. You want the pump running at 100% all the time. The fan headers on your mainboard vary depending on how hot things are in your case.

However, if it's like the H100 then the pump will have a fan controller built into it and the fans for the radiator plug into the pump/base plate itself, and there will be a 4 pin fan header that plugs into your CPU_FAN mainboard header. All that is for is to get readings from your mainboard, it doesn't actually recieve power from the mainboard. It will also have a separate 4 pin molex plug to plug straight into the PSU.

I hope I've just clarified things rather than confused the issue....

Ok.. I am a little confused.

At the moment I have the H60 attached to my P8H67-M Pro motherboard.

The H60 has a 120mm fan that attaches to the radiator. That fan has a 4-pin connector and I have that connected to the 4-pin CPU_FAN.

Then the H60 has a pump that attaches to the cpu, it has a 3-pin connector. I have that at the moment connected to the only 3-pin header on the P8H67-M Pro motherboard which is the PWR_FAN header.

That seems to be working fine at the moment.... but what you are telling me is that it may kill my motherboards headers at some point in time, because it is connected to the PWR_FAN header?

Now, let me reword my question, because the reason I am asking is I just purchased a new motherboard... the P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3. I am going to install the H60 on that board and want to know what would be the best places for these connectors.

The P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 has a 4-pin CPU_FAN header that I will attach the fan to.

It also has a 3-pin PWR_FAN header and a 3-pin CHA_FAN2 header.

Should I connect the pump 3-pin connector to the CHA_FAN2 header?

or

Are you saying I need to connect it to my PSU? (my power supply is a Corsair tx850W and it doesn't have a 3-pin connector... do I need an adapter for the molex plug?)

Hope I didn't confuse you!

Nope, unless you're using some sort of adaptor plug you're all fine. Corsair won't provide anything that'll cause problems.

There should be 1 plug that goes to the CPU_PWR connector which controls fan speed, and another one which goes to your power supply which powers the pump plus any fans connected to the pump.

I think I worded things rather poorly before, sorry. :-/

The connectors from the pump should look like this:

edb63227_Molex.jpeg

The bigger one (molex) will plug into the power supply and thesmaller one (4 pin fan connector) plugs into the CPU_FAN/CPU_PWR header on your mainboard

Nope, unless you're using some sort of adaptor plug you're all fine. Corsair won't provide anything that'll cause problems.

There should be 1 plug that goes to the CPU_PWR connector which controls fan speed, and another one which goes to your power supply which powers the pump plus any fans connected to the pump.

I think I worded things rather poorly before, sorry. :-/

Sorry mate, I did not get one of those plugs with the H60? It just has a 3-pin for the pump... should that go on the CHA_FAN2 header?

It goes into the one closest to your CPU socket (CPU_FAN). It doesn't draw any power from the connector, it literally just connects for access to the temperature sensors in your CPU. Only the larger plug connected to your power supply is drawing power.

I think I misunderstood your original question when answering the first time too. Completely disregard my inital/first post. Only look at the 2nd and 3rd posts.

Hehehehehe... hahaha. Funny! Mine does too and it simply says
Connect pump power connector to any available 3-pin fan header on motherboard

My question is what is the differences for PWR_FAN, CHA_FAN, CPU_FAN and which would be the best to plug it into. Since my new board has a 3-pin CHA_FAN header, I will attach it there.

Thanks for your help!

There is no difference in those headers really outside of the labeling. SOME of the headers may allow you to control voltage based on temperature. That would be the only difference. Refer to your manual/bios for which ones do what.

Back