• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard assist required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kian525

hey guys, this is my first post :D

anyway, down to business. i am building my own desktop and i have decided on the following so far:

GRAPHICS CARD
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti = $250

RAM
8gb 1600mhz (undecided about model)

PROCESSOR
intel Core i5-2500K = $240

budget $735 AUD

so, after about a week of research i decided on a motherboard. but here's the kicker. its not around. it was the P8P67 PRO from asus. so that's where you guys come in. i need help finding a motherboard that uses P67 chipset and (obviously) is lga 1155 compatible. i would like it to be fast as it is for gaming. but i am fairly flexible so feel free to change my mind :D also a fast lan connection is a must (in the computer i mean)

all help is appreciated

EDIT: oh yeah id like SLI dual card support

Last edited:
There's no reason to get a P67 board, Z68 is typically almost the same price and has all the same features + more.

Also, with that budget, you're not going to be able to afford the rest of the system with a 2500K and a 560Ti in there. I'd estimate your total system cost to be about $100-150 more.

This is the cheapest you're going to get with the given information:

Screen Shot 2012-03-14 at 12.26.49 AM.png

Last edited:
I was thinking that, but he seemed adamant about the P67.

Edit: That board I picked you out is still a good board though.

Solid build from Knufire.. Though I'd personally drop the PSU to an Antec HCG 520W; which drops the price 20 bucks. (Or Antec Neo Eco 520W + 3 dollar cable = 72) Then use the 20 bucks +5 to change the 500GB to a 1Tb Seagate drive.

Z68 > P67. I see little reason to grab a P67 board when Z68's are all around the same price; etc.

You could reconsider the GTX 560 Ti for a HD 6870 Sapphire. Which is 175. Would bring the budget down a bit.

If you want to keep the option open to upgrade to ivy bridge reconsider the z68 model. The Asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3. P67 has no upgrade routes..

Edit. I may be wrong and was under the impression only z68 can support ivy.. but the Asrock p67 extreme 4 linked also states gen 3??

I would also Look for the Antec 302 case, it's a antec 300, but with USB3, CPU cutout and better wire managment, it's the replacement and same price.

my friend alspo wants a pc, im going to build it for him but im still quite a noob when it comes down to it. what is the highest performance gaming pc i can get for $600? im really stuck. thanks guys

I agree with Knufire.. However that said; doesn't mean you can't work something out.. :p.

(this is WITHOUT windows and WITHOUT a keyboard/monitor/mouse). If he needs those as well; save up :p.

600.PNG

sorry for the double post, but will i need any internal fans or extra cooling devices?

If you want to overclock the 2500K, I'd grab a Hyper212+ or Hyper212 Evo, they're pretty cheap. I know PCCaseGear has the TRUE Spirit for a great price as well.

I agree with Knufire.. However that said; doesn't mean you can't work something out.. :p.

(this is WITHOUT windows and WITHOUT a keyboard/monitor/mouse). If he needs those as well; save up :p.

View attachment 107027

the pc will be used primarily for gaming so ill go ask him if thats ok. just so i know, will that run all of todays games on medium settings or will it just melt trying to play bf3?

EDIT: i am trying to push the price down a bit, is the jump from a 560 ti to a radeon 6870 a good idea, and will i see a major difference in fps.
performance review:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Prod...5.226.227.228.229.230.231.232.233.234.235.238

Last edited:
It's a difference.. it's not a huge one. But it's a step down yes.

The build for your friend that I posted will do medium at high fps no problem. Should do high settings really. With the occasional dip in fps. I've got a friend who uses that exact card who plays bf3 at 1080p on high settings no sweat. Granted he has a 2600k. But yeah.

Back