• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4tb harddrives on the horizon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Samsung drives have always been highly recommended, up there with WD for me, so I'm hoping the Samsung buyout will help Seagate's drives. Yeah, Seagate bought Maxtor as well, that was quite a while back I think.

Samsung drives have always been highly recommended, up there with WD for me, so I'm hoping the Samsung buyout will help Seagate's drives. Yeah, Seagate bought Maxtor as well, that was quite a while back I think.

"quite a while back"........was 2006.......you kids today...........

...and western digital is the only one that has never given me a drive failiure.
Le sigh. Are we back to this again? WD drives fail. Google WD Click of Death.

I've always suspected that Google's unreleased analysis of drives, and their sample size made it actually believable, that WD drives were the top dog. But they do fail too just like Seagate, Hitachi, et all.

Anyway back on topic Robert linked to another forum with the news but here is the direct Ars link: http://arstechnica.com/business/new...os-terabyte-per-inch-hard-disk-technology.ars

Hard drives all fail... Hitachi seems to run kinda hot (at least my laptop drive did), but they are the same as the rest.

I'm right there with the Western Digital preference due to never having one fail (my dad did, but it was tortured in an uncooled external enclosure), but if a Seagate is half the price, i'll get one. I've got a Hitachi running in the desktop as part of my storage disks :)

A few months ago I bought 8 of the Seagate GoFlex 4tb external drives and stripped the HDD's out of them for my media server. Bought them from Best Buy for $199 each right before they got the Thailand flooding memo. I'm not a fan of Seagate but at the time I couldn't find 2tb drives for much cheaper, and 3tb drives were all priced higher. I run them on an Areca controller with RAID6 and so far I've had no problems.

Back