• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't know why I said yes to this junk..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Someone gave me a box of old mainboards from socket2,3,7 and one Pentium Pro board (soc8) along with some IO cards (IDE,floppy, parallel, com 1/2) and a bunch of old Trident ISA/Busmaster video boards...and cpu's from an AMD 386DX 40mhz(lightning fast for it's day), and a few 486DX's to a couple of Pentium 133's and about five or six old hdd's mostly in the 500 to 600mb range.

Oh yea, most of these boards have the memory and cpu's still on them, so in theory, I could have a computer from almost every generation of x86 compatible working..I may still have an 8088 or 8086 hanging around here

Why do I keep saying yes?

I guess I'm really addicted..... getting old computers working and possibly overclocking them is like crack to me.

It's a great hobby. Not sure if you have the space, but it will be cool to have an area to showcase builds using old hardware.

Man, I need a Socket 3 board for my processor. I want to see how well it works xD.

Edit: I picked up a Socket 3 133MHz AMD processor from a friend a few weeks ago. Still haven't had the chance to test it, lol.

Last edited:
Man, I need a Socket 3 board for my processor. I want to see how well it works xD.

Edit: I picked up a Socket 3 133MHz AMD processor from a friend a few weeks ago. Still haven't had the chance to test it, lol.

You should be able to use it in most 486 compatible boards, although I'm not sure about socket a 2 board....depending on the board speed settings available, and voltage and multiplier settings also. Most of the time you can read the silkscreen on the board that will tell you how far the board will go.

BTW, is your AMD a "5x86" or "586" 133? I believe there were two versions. The one I had (can't remember which) would do 150mhz with stock cooling and stock core and IO volts..I ran it at 3*50mhz instead of 4*33mhz...that way everything connected to the board ran faster because of the increased board speed, which would scramble your hdd often....Ah the memories :)

I have something like this that is still working :)

rcm-020.jpg

not real photo but it looks like this , Bondwell 8 made in 1985, Intel 80C88 4.77 MHz :D ... got it for free when my father's boss was cleaning basement some years ago.
I would probably have more stuff like this if I had more space at home.

That must have cost about 8-10 grand I would assume..I have an old XT lying around, but don't know what is in it....I don't think it is as advanced as a 286...but like I said, I haven't looked at it in a very long time. I also have a Tandy 1000, and an Apple IIc, and a Commodore 64, or 128 (not sure which).
I have the power supply for the Apple, and I think I can find the RF moduators for both the Apple and the Commodore, and I also have an external 5 1/4 floppy drive for the Commodore. The Apple has the floppy built in.

So my next question is which do I try to resurrect 1st? Socket 7 or socket 3?
I have plenty of both 30 and 72 pin simms and plenty cpu's for both socket types.
I know, I'll go completely pointless and try to get the 386 DX40 (That I just got free) going and try to overclock it just for the fun of it...I mean with today's zif socket cooling solutions and yesterdays technology, maybe some old benchmarks can be shattered, or at least increased a bit.
Like I said, I'm crazy about the old school stuff. My 1st PC was an IBM clone 386SX (without the 387 math chip) and 16mb ram that I upgraded from 8mb. IMO when Intel came out with the SX, they should have put a U in the middle, because my version did. :)

Someone gave me a box of old mainboards from socket2,3,7 and one Pentium Pro board (soc8) along with some IO cards (IDE,floppy, parallel, com 1/2) and a bunch of old Trident ISA/Busmaster video boards...and cpu's from an AMD 386DX 40mhz(lightning fast for it's day), and a few 486DX's to a couple of Pentium 133's and about five or six old hdd's mostly in the 500 to 600mb range.

Oh yea, most of these boards have the memory and cpu's still on them, so in theory, I could have a computer from almost every generation of x86 compatible working..I may still have an 8088 or 8086 hanging around here

Why do I keep saying yes?

I guess I'm really addicted..... getting old computers working and possibly overclocking them is like crack to me.

I totally would have said yes. All of that stuff brings back a good does of nostalgia for me. Particularly the 386, Pentium (pre MMX) and Trident parts. A 386SX, with a whopping 4mb RAM, 80mb hard drive, Trident video and SoundBlaster 16 + CD-ROM kit was my first computer. I salute you sir! :salute:

Go socket 3 for old times sake. The socket 7 will seem easy afterwards in comparison ;)

Back