• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thuban or Dozer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so i've come to realize that its probably time to get a new processor. mine wont go much past 3.7Ghz with out needing MAJOR juice to make it stable

so any way i was thinking of buying a 960T (basicly a thuban with 2 less cores) i might consider a 6 core if i can find any black editions

but whats the deal with the dozer?
2 threads per core? is that my understanding? why?

also, which is more efficient co....thread per thread?

If you don't touch the voltage, or if you undervolt it, BD is really quite low power/heat.
The moment you jack the voltage up that changes, fast.

Quite personally I would go Thuban hex core. I don't think it's worthwhile to go from a Deneb quad to a Thuban quad.

i was all set to get BD but its just not good enough compared to Thuban so i settled for a 1100T hex Core. Currently running at 4.125 GHz.

If you can fnd it or the 1090T then thats what I would get and give this gen of BD a miss. Might improve next go round.

Don't see hardly any "real" 1100T's still available but determined digging will unearth some 1090Ts now boxed or tray. NOTE: speaking to US market here.

i noticed something about the 1100T in cyber deals and how it might be the last chance to get one, whats going on with that?

and with a 960T i would play the lottery to see if i could get one to unlock, how ever if it doesent i imagine it would OC its nuts off as a quad, and currently i am running a 3 core. i havent updated my sig, this cpu wont unlock on a DDR3 board for some reason. DDR2 is another story.

basicly this cpu would get knocked down to an older computer and unlocked and re oced to 3.5ghz, the dual core Windsor thats in that would get sold or tossed to the render farm

I dont think the are making them anymore. I cant find any here in NZ either.

maybe look for a used one that someone is selling on this forum or craigslist or something like that. The Zosma would make a good alternative. Its a Thuban with 4 cores but has pretty good chance of unlocking to hex core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995&Tpk=960t

WE have seen more and more 960Ts that have a bad #5 core or in human speak core #6. So the more of those they sell the less of them are unlockable to a full 6 cores. It would depend most likely on batches sold around the world.

my x2 555bE was like that. 4th Core was a dud and no amount of voltage made it stable. It was a great 3 core though. 5 good cores is still better than 4 though so still worth it.

my x2 555bE was like that. 4th Core was a dud and no amount of voltage made it stable. It was a great 3 core though. 5 good cores is still better than 4 though so still worth it.

I agree to an extent. It was just so hyped that the 960Ts would unlock to hexa-core and then after the first month of them in the supply channels more and more had that dud core. Peeps have a hard time knowing that a dice roll is really a dice roll, when everyone is hyping an unlock but it is not the unlock they wanted to see. Hehehe.

I agree to an extent. It was just so hyped that the 960Ts would unlock to hexa-core and then after the first month of them in the supply channels more and more had that dud core. Peeps have a hard time knowing that a dice roll is really a dice roll, when everyone is hyping an unlock but it is not the unlock they wanted to see. Hehehe.

Yup, I like a sure thing so I just pay for those extra 2 cores.... :p

I just bought a 960T and unlocked the 2 extra cores on it no problem. My previous CPU which is now going to an HTPC in sig unlocked 2 extra cores too. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Here's my take on things. The Thuban's are now out of production but they are a mature technology. The Zosma 960T evidences that by the fact that it has an E0 stepping and will overclock quite well because it runs pretty cool even though it is 45nm technology. It's also a bargain at $125 shipped from NewEgg, especially considering it will usually unlock to a five core CPU and sometimes to a six core. On the other hand the dozers are an immature technology which in a year will probably be running cooler, perform better, give less problems, and may even be less expensive than at the current time. Not to mention that the Thubans core for core and clock for clock still out perform the Bulldozers. The relative technological maturity of the two products is the thing I want to emphasize.

I am more than happy with my thuban, improved IMC over deneb. Running mine at stock clocks 2400 CPUNB 1600 mem. Although was running 1866 Mem and 2700 CPUNB before these sticks. Excellent daily cruiser/productivity machine/gamer/HTPC.

I have not run BD yet, but if you plan to OC, the BD tends to clock better and I understand have an even better IMC

Yeah, the Bulldozer does have a stouter IMC and will run ram at 1866 without a problem people are saying. But when overclocking a lot of people are running into thermal down-throttling issues at surprising low temp thresholds. Other people are saying that although BD sometimes overclocks high the performance gain doesn't scale well with the overclock.

Thanks for the heads up trents.

I had no problems running thuban at 1866. It did require setting 1600 mem multi and upping HTREF to 234 though

Here's my take on things. The Thuban's are now out of production but they are a mature technology. The Zosma 960T evidences that by the fact that it has an E0 stepping and will overclock quite well because it runs pretty cool even though it is 45nm technology. It's also a bargain at $125 shipped from NewEgg, especially considering it will usually unlock to a five core CPU and sometimes to a six core. On the other hand the dozers are an immature technology which in a year will probably be running cooler, perform better, give less problems, and may even be less expensive than at the current time. Not to mention that the Thubans core for core and clock for clock still out perform the Bulldozers. The relative technological maturity of the two products is the thing I want to emphasize.

this in bold is the most important to me.
this is purely the fact why I used a Windsor dual core while Brisbanes and Agena's came and went. And it did well, it went to 3.2Ghz from mid 2's and was fast for its time how ever after changing to the tri core i have now i only gained 300Mhz and the time has come that you can get more cores and a faster processor now.

it just seemed to level off there for a while, clock speed and OC ability plateaued so more and more cores were added, now that the cores are being added stock and OC speeds are going up again and i am getting left in the dust.

so it seems to me the smart way to go about this would be a 960T or possibly an 1100T if i can find one. its faster clock per clock and has the potental to OC higher with less problems.

but as we all know and i have known for over a decade now OCing is about as luck of the draw as unlocking, theres just a bit more of an educated guess to it.

and honestly i some times feel like a dumbass because i loose track of time and dont keep up on whats going on in the tech world and post, looking back on it now, really stupid questions like the one about the HT bus i made. i shoulda freakin known that it was being pushed a bit too much.

damn my memory

edit:
how is ecrater? both processors are on there at reasonable prices and free shipping, even beating new egg and such. I've never ordered from them before but have seen them mentioned here so i was wonderin

Last edited:
It depends on what you use your system for and where you feel its struggling at the moment. If its just for gaming then because your c2 cpu is at 3.5ghz you won't see much difference going to a hex apart from the games that are more cpu bound and make use of more than 3 threads.But for programs that make use of the cores you'll see massive improvements with an x6 = encoding handbrake, convertx compared to your x3.

Comparing your am2 windsor to a phenom II on the basis of core clock speed is pointless.
k10.5 is quite a leap over k8. clock for clock ht link/memory bandwidth etc.

As you're only using a 5770 then your cpu and gpu are pretty well matched at the moment.
I used to run a x4 b55 at 4.2ghz with my unlocked 6950. From benching in an x2 mode to x4 I came to the conclusion that each core needed to be 3.8ghz minimum to not hold my gpu back too much. Which is why in benchmarks you see that the standard 1090t 1100ts are usually behind the 965-980 bya few frames.

So if you feel the areas where your current system struggles will be sorted by investing in an x6.Do as people have suggested get an x6 1090t, hopefully it clocks to 4.0ghz at a nice v-core and play around with the nb-cpu until something better pops up on the horizon.

I'm not familiar with ecrater.The appealing thing about Egg is that even if sometimes you can find a little better price there is never a problem when returning a defective product. Having said that, the chances of getting a bad CPU are very slim; much less than a motherboard or a hard drive, for example.

notJUSTguitar has a 1090T for sale over on the classifieds for $160 but if you're interested he's on the verge of ebaying it so hurry.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700998

Comparing your am2 windsor to a phenom II on the basis of core clock speed is pointless.
k10.5 is quite a leap over k8. clock for clock ht link/memory bandwidth etc.

As you're only using a 5770 then your cpu and gpu are pretty well matched at the moment......

i wasnt comparing the windsor to a phenom II because i skipped the 2 cores between the 5200+ and the 720BE i own.
i was comparing the windsor to the brisbane and the agena cores that were between these two

and yes at the moment i am only using a 5770 but thats going to change as soon as 7850 retail reviews come in

notJUSTguitar has a 1090T for sale over on the classifieds for $160 but if you're interested he's on the verge of ebaying it so hurry.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700998

i am not able to get to the classifieds any more, something that i was told was going to be fixed a few years ago and still hasnt. which sucks becuase i hae a huge backlog of components i just need to unload like crazy

Back