• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your choice? (4 choices, pick only 1)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What would you do? (Read the first post)

• 1. The Silent Treatment. I expect them to do and say nothing.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • 2. Thanks! I expect them to contact me and thank me for returning the equipment.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • 3. Freebies. I expect them to offer me a free item/voucher (worth less than the equipment returned).

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • 4. It's Mine! Actually, I'd keep the stuff.

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notarat

Company A screws up your previous two orders.

You make a "last chance at redemption" order from them

They goof that one up as well by leaving something out.

HOWEVER, You also receive a second box of parts.

You did not order these, and were not charged for them.

Your name and address are on the box

There is no invoice inside. Only a post-it with a somewhat vague email address.

All these parts fit your current setup

2 video card water blocks by a high end company
2 Bay covers with sleeved cables from fan controllers, IO ports, and switches for
2 cathode ray tubes

All told, these parts you never ordered, but received, total very nearly $400

You contact the FTC via email, and you explain the situation worded exactly as above, and they respond via email that you are legally allowed to keep the items

You decide to notify the company anyway, and they email a pre-paid shipping label for you return the messed up second package.

You drop it off at UPS and they deliver it 3 days later.

Which do you expect to happen?

1 -- I expect them to do/say nothing
2 -- An email stating, "Thanks for your assisance resolving this issue!"
3 -- An item less than X $$
4 -- Given your previous order history with Company A, you keep the stuff

You contact the FTC via email, and you explain the situation worded exactly as above, and they respond via email that you are legally allowed to keep the items.

If true, then... 5. Regardless of your previous order history with Company A, keep the stuff.

:D

4. It doesn't involve the company at all, but it's what I'd probably do.

Given that it was shipped back, definitely 1.

i say IF you emailed them and they said you could keep it well then i would enjoy the extra $400 worth of stuff

so.....4?

Poll added.

i say IF you emailed them and they said you could keep it well then i would enjoy the extra $400 worth of stuff

so.....4?

He emailed the FTC to ask where he stood legally, not the company in question, IIRTC (if I read that correctly).

I had something vaguely similar happen to quite a few years ago. I had ordered a couple of monitors from Buy.com and when they came in, there was a third package, labeled with a Compaq Deskpro machine. When I opened it up to see, it was a brand new Deskpro with a P2 300 proc in it (this was about the time that the P2 400 was top stuff, IIRC). Since I hadn't ordered it and didn't receive any invoice on it (nothing on the paperwork with the order), I called them up and asked them what to do. The person I talked to then said that they didn't sell that model, so don't worry about it. :D So I ended up getting a free computer from them. :D

Now in your case, I doubt that company will give you a damn thing for your honesty. But you do have the personal satisfaction of knowing that you didn't screw over some company on their mistake. But since they have screwed up 3 out of 3 orders you have placed with them (100% order failure rate), I would shop elsewhere next time. Since you didn't mention the vendor, I won't give alternatives in this thread, but there are other companies you can shop with that have better pricing.

If they screwed up everything I ordered before, I'd do 4.
If not, I'd expect 1.

EDIT: Though, when I ordered my old HP L1950 LCD screen, I received three of them, returned them, and got some benefits because of that. I managed to get some electronics stuff and tech stuff really cheap.

Last edited:
I'd have to go with option five.

5. If I return the stuff, I expect them to at the very least send me what I actually ordered, and a gift card, in-store credit or something similar, to make up for the previous orders that were messed up by their company to help make up for their utter incompetence.

But I have had this happen to me and after much thought I chose #4. Maybe they sent you the stuff to make up for their previous failures.:shrug:

I ordered a 8GBHD back around '97, they were expensive. I insisted they ship UPS they insisted they only ship Fedex, we went back and forth for 15min.

I was finally exasperated and gave up. They shipped me 1 Fedex and a day later I received another UPS (no invoice , no charge):shock:

I always thought that someone in the chain overheard the conversation and knew that the company (Micro.....) Did indeed ship UPS, every previous order had come UPS.Anyway it was the weirdest transaction.

I kept it and never heard a thing.

Doing the right thing, or what you conscience and heart tell you to do, is always the thing that will allow you to remain true to yourself, your family and will make it easier to be trusted, to sleep well, and forgive easily those people that err. You really should have no expectations of anyone else as they are living their lives, you are living yours. Nor should you try to live up to expectations of others for similar reasons. Expect nothing but death and taxes and you'll be grateful and pleasantly surprised when others' behavior is pleasing to you. And not too disappointed when it isn't.

1 but because of your previous screwed up orders chances are that is some other person's stuff that they ordered so keeping it kind of does someone wrong. On the other hand I would assume that person called in and had it reshipped and the company at this point deserves the loss. As long as you can live with it keep it...Either way with this track record they wont be around long imo

Voted 3 because that would've been nice, if a bit unrealistic. I'd expect 2 at the very least. Sounds like they've really dropped the ball.

I voted 4.

Companies are legally allowed to screw consumers coming and going.

Is it morally/ethically ok for them to do so? Not in my book.

Screw em back.

I voted option 1. I think you commented on this in another thread. they might give you a 5.1% discount coupon code, that's already on the net'.

Since you shipped it back, probably #1, though seeing as they screwed up all the other times, watch they ship it back to you.

Sorry if they kept screwing up my orders I'd keep it.

But it went back, which is very considerate... I'd expect at least something in return, e-mail, voucher, something!

Back