• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

afasayan

Registered
This is going to be my first custom build. I've been using a computer for a decade have upgraded it twice but always through a retailer. This time I'm going to order the parts online as they are cheaper and I don't want to deal with the retailer.
So that's that now off to the PC I want.
The PC is going to be used mostly for high end gaming the likes of max payne 3 (whenevver it releases), video conversion, the future uses include overclocking, game designing, animation, coding etc.
My budget is Rs.48400-$968. The processor is Rs.19656, the ram is Rs.1665 and I've two dvd-Writers, a Western digital HDD, a Seagate Go flex 1TB external drive and a 9400GT from my old pc, rest I'm going to sell.
So that gives me Rs.28429 or Rs.28500-$570 for the motherboard, PSU, cabinet.and if needed any cooling devices.
I've decided the processor-i7-2700k, yes I know it is not much of an improvement over 2600k but I want it, please don't waste your time suggesting other processors. A retailler told me that the fan provided with it has heating problems, I haven't found any proof to this though, I'll be gratefull to anyone who can confirm this isn't true. Another question I've is do I need to buy a fan from another company for the processor for overclocking without burning the processor up.
The ram I selected is G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb. I'll upgrade it later.
For the motherboard I want one with many usb slots, at least two usb 3.0, SATA 3, HDMI, DVI and UEFI support. I find Gigabyte Z68 UD3H B3 to have everything I want, if you know any other board which is better then please suggest it.
I don't know much about the PSU. How many watts would I need for this rig.
For the cabinet-I'm from India, its really hot here and summer is just around the corner. I live beside a highway so there's mostly a layer of dust over everything everyday. In a months time the insides of a cpu turns into a glob of dust-I have had cabinets from i-Ball and samsung and both looked ridiculious after leaving them uncleaned for some time.
So the cabinet should have air filters and be really cool.
I need another 500GB or a 1TB HDD in addition to my old one NOT western digital-the one I've has been replaced 4 times and its going for another one.
And if it fits my budget some cooling devices.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Welcome! You may want to keep this in one thread... here. You have HDD thread, mobo thread, and this thread covering all of those questions. One thread keeps it niiiiiiiiiice and neat. :)

That said, I have no idea what the Rs.19656 stuff is... unless its your money?

Lets tackle your issues...

1. Stock fan on 2700k is fine...when mounted properly. It will cool at stock speeds and with a bit of an overclock. If you plan on pushing it past 4Ghz, get another cooler like Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
2. Your board choice is fine. :)
3. I assume you are getting a newer videocard? The 9400gt will not play modern games well at all. That said, I would go with a 600W Corsair PSU as that will handle a single GPU just fine as well as any overclocking on both CPU and CPU.

Last edited:
Welcome! You may want to keep this in one thread... here. You have HDD thread, mobo thread, and this thread covering all of those questions. One thread keeps it niiiiiiiiiice and neat. :)

That said, I have no idea what the Rs.19656 stuff is... unless its your money?

Lets tackle your issues...

1. Stock fan on 2700k is fine...when mounted properly. It will cool at stock speeds and with a bit of an overclock. If you plan on pushing it past 4Ghz, get another cooler like Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
2. Your board choice is fine. :)
3. I assume you are getting a newer videocard? The 9400gt will not play modern games well at all. That said, I would go with a 600W Corsair PSU as that will handle a single GPU just fine as well as any overclocking on both CPU and CPU.
Sorry for the many threads but I'm in a real hurry and want to buy it as soon as possible. The more the no. of threads the more people will see it. Sorry for the clutter though, you can delete the other posts if you like.
Rs =Indian National Rupees the currency of India.
I'll be upgrading the gpu but not now maybe in a month or two.

Thanks for your help.

Hmmmm, what sites are you looking at? I take it that you're located in India?

Anyway, location will affect whats available to you and hence what we can recommend.

Hmmmm, what sites are you looking at? I take it that you're located in India?

Anyway, location will affect whats available to you and hence what we can recommend.
Yes, I'm from India.
I'm mostly looking at ebay.in and flipkart.com

I've settled for the following rig:-
Processor- Intel Core i7-2700k $393.12
Motherboard-Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3R $237.44
RAM-G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) $33.30
PSU-Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK $67.62
HDD-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HD Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM003) $106.54
Cabinet-Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower $178.32

Which gives a total of $1016.34
So my question is, is there anything wrong/incompatible. Please suggest alternatives if any.
For the cabinets I was looking at 912 and 922 the differences are the size of 922 is bigger than the 912 but the 912 has front USB 3.0 ports which would be quite usefull for me, is there any way to get these in the 922.

I know. I was just listing rough prices to give him an idea of how inexpensive a decent upgrade could be. With the cost of RAM I'd get two

Wasnt talking to you..I would have quoted ya ;)! The OP listed, above my post to which I was replying, 1x4GB of ram. He should be on dual channel.

1x4GB? No. 2x2GB if you are going 4GB. Its a dual channel board.

Dual channel board? Does it mean it'll only run with 2 sticks? Though
I was going to get 2x4gb but the price of the whole rig went up to $60 so I settled for 1x4gb and thought of getting another afterwards even with this I'm $20 over my budget and the 2x2gb setup costs $10 more.

No. If you use 4x sticks of the same sized RAM it'll work. Its still dual channel though

It just runs a tad slower, it prefers having 2 or 4 sticks. It's not something you would notice in day to day performance though.

No. If you use 4x sticks of the same sized RAM it'll work. Its still dual channel though
4x sticks? Do you mean 4 sticks?
It just runs a tad slower, it prefers having 2 or 4 sticks. It's not something you would notice in day to day performance though.

If I won't notice it in day to day performance then I don't really see a problem in getting a single stick.

Yes.. 4 sticks or 4x you have 1x.

Thing is, you MAY actually notice. I disagree with Knu. Single to dual channel memory is a pretty large difference in benchmarking performance, and unlike most cases, translates to an experience, at least I felt. Is it mind shatteringly slow? No. But there is a noticeable difference. boot is a bit slower, opening applications are as well. Not sure about gaming, but just in the desktop environment it was noticeable to me.

As far as money and blowing your budget, do the right thing and get a 2600k to make up the difference. I know you do not want to be convinced but the fact, to me, is that there isnt a difference outside of the higher multiplier. If you want to run at 2700k speeds, raise the multiplier one notch. Viola, 2700k AND you have proper ram.

Personally, I'll always run dual on my main.gaming rig, my HTPC on the other hand doesn't need performance so I just run 1x stick in that. Need to go to Win 7 instead of XP on it at some point though. The crappy multitasking in XP drives me nuts. Quad core and XP treats it like a dual.

Yes.. 4 sticks or 4x you have 1x.

Thing is, you MAY actually notice. I disagree with Knu. Single to dual channel memory is a pretty large difference in benchmarking performance, and unlike most cases, translates to an experience, at least I felt. Is it mind shatteringly slow? No. But there is a noticeable difference. boot is a bit slower, opening applications are as well. Not sure about gaming, but just in the desktop environment it was noticeable to me.

As far as money and blowing your budget, do the right thing and get a 2600k to make up the difference. I know you do not want to be convinced but the fact, to me, is that there isnt a difference outside of the higher multiplier. If you want to run at 2700k speeds, raise the multiplier one notch. Viola, 2700k AND you have proper ram.

I'm thinking of getting 2x4gb. Now the question I want to ask is, why is the price of (2) $41.10 more than (1) instead of being double or less? Is it better in any way? Is there any reason as to why should I go for (2) instead of getting 2x(1)?
(1)http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...aQ--&ref=12ad54f1-f47b-4198-80a6-97c7663d2e17 Price-$33.30 each
(2) http://www.flipkart.com/g-skill-rip...7w--&ref=244308c3-0a73-4d68-bd0a-84da6cdfa1b4 Price-$74.40
Or should I go for 2 of these http://www.ebay.in/itm/Corsair-Veng...9?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item20c0434ce3 Price-$31.90 each

In your opinion which is the best ram available?

The best RAM is something that 99% of people don't need. The only people who need really good RAM are benchmarkers, people who use extreme cooling like dry ice and liquid nitrogen. G.SKILL Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance are good choices for most normal people.

The difference in the US is usually only a few dollars between 2x(1) and (2). I assume it's the extra costs of manufacturing two sticks instead of one.

The reason you want to run two sticks instead of one is that, when running sticks, most motherboards (except very old ones) enable dual-channel mode, which doubles the memory bandwidth and may make things seem a bit faster.

In Australia plain old Kingmax Ram isn't a bad choice. Their DDR 1333 with run at 1600 speeds no worries, and its cheap

The best RAM is something that 99% of people don't need. The only people who need really good RAM are benchmarkers, people who use extreme cooling like dry ice and liquid nitrogen. G.SKILL Ripjaws and Corsair Vengeance are good choices for most normal people.

The difference in the US is usually only a few dollars between 2x(1) and (2). I assume it's the extra costs of manufacturing two sticks instead of one.

The reason you want to run two sticks instead of one is that, when running sticks, most motherboards (except very old ones) enable dual-channel mode, which doubles the memory bandwidth and may make things seem a bit faster.

Both 2x(1) and (2) are two sticks (2x4gb), so manufacturing 2 sticks raises the cost is not an answer. Anyway thanks for your help.

In Australia plain old Kingmax Ram isn't a bad choice. Their DDR 1333 with run at 1600 speeds no worries, and its cheap

Kingmax? Never heard of it.

Back